Reate Torrent

Does anyone happen to have a picture of, or the ability to provide a picture of, the new Torrent alongside the Horizon Ti (or Horizon CF)? I'd love to see a side by side comparison.

Does anyone happen to have a picture of, or the ability to provide a picture of, the new Torrent alongside the Horizon Ti (or Horizon CF)? I'd love to see a side by side comparison.

Reate Horizon-D CF and Torrent.

12135454_420796408128756_987959345_n.jpg

12070947_1092202054138336_1124905974_n.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you for the pictures. I presume you own both? If so, how would you compare the two? Is one more refined than the other? One thing I noticed on the District 9+ was the jimping on the blade was sharper and more effective at providing grip/traction. I think the Torrent has this as well.

Thank you for the pictures. I presume you own both? If so, how would you compare the two? Is one more refined than the other? One thing I noticed on the District 9+ was the jimping on the blade was sharper and more effective at providing grip/traction. I think the Torrent has this as well.

I don't have the Torrent. It's not out yet. Those pictures are from the Reate Instagram posts.

For me I initially wanted a Todd Begg Steelcraft Kwaiken or Bodega. I like the ceramic ball in the carry clip on my Marifione Anax. I decided to order the Torrent through BladeHQ because M390 > S35VN and it has the Begg ball clip.

Last edited:
When is this shipping? A little bird told me they will start receiving them around november 15th or so.... maybe +/- a few days... cant wait to try it in hand

Coming Soon at BladeHQ. I'm hesitant due to the weight. It's smaller than Horizon-D TI but weighs the same at 6.08 ounces according to BHQ. The Steelcraft Kwaiken with a near 4" blade weighs just 5 ounces due to skeketonizing of the inner titanium. Also, I'm thinking perhaps there'll be a Torrent CF.

...but Bohler M390 sub $400... Does that exist outside Torrent?

LionSteel TRE TI but it's a 3" blade.

ZT 0392 was $375 with a 3.5" CTS-204P and anodized titanium hardware.

Custom Knife Factory (CKF) T90 (4.1") and Gratch (3.76").

M390, CTS-204P and 20CV are equivalent stainless steels.

I also liked how they milled out the inside of the liners on those kwaikens, it really really helped make it carry well. I carried that IWB it just disappeared and I didn't even feel it. Had it been solid I could only imagine it would be much heavier. For the torrent at 6 oz, Its a bit on the heavier side for sure but it should feel solid in the hand. If it was milled out to make it lighter that would have been an evolution but the pocket clip was enough for me. That ceramic ball pocket clip on the kwaiken is just so smooth and retains very well. The pocket clip on the torrent will also be great. As for the weight I just hope it carries well. Blade looks like its gonna cut like a light saber with that polish and m390 harpoon blade shape. The 3d shaped machined ti handle with the very fine pattern of milling must make it feel great in the hand...

I do like the Torrent a lot (see new pictures at the bottom by Reate) but I also want the Valyrie II CF M390 and the Black Stonewashed Steelcraft Kwaiken.

The Kwaiken is my favorite knife made by Reate! So swift, smooth and light for such a big blade and a lot of the credit goes to Todd's design which includes the ceramic ball in the clip which he lets David use in his own designs like Torrent. Of course, a lot of credit to David's execution. Even though the Steelcraft costs $445 with S35VN and my Horizon-TI & Horizon-CF with M390 cost $400 I think the Kwaiken is quite superior!

P51019-095828_zps7crsdroy.jpg

P51019-095856-02_zpssa9zd8b8.jpg

LionSteel TRE TI but it's a 3" blade.

ZT 0392 was $375 with a 3.5" CTS-204P and anodized titanium hardware.

Custom Knife Factory (CKF) T90 (4.1") and Gratch (3.76").

M390, CTS-204P and 20CV are equivalent stainless steels.
Right. And Benchmade offers several M390 models for less than $400 including the Barrage, the Mini-Barrage, the Valet, the Nakamura, the 761, and a KW exclusive variant of the 710.

Last edited:
Looks like a great knife, price is a little too steep for me given specs and country of origin. If the price comes down after release, I might be interested.

BLD- So go and buy benchmade my friend. Those are some ugly knives $4 or $400, IMHO. Price does not justify anything so much in material as it does the design. If the design flows and you like it you buy it. All i have heard you do is cry and moan about the price. Go get another job, save up, or sell some of your other knives and buy it, or dont buy it. I just want to see pictures and discuss the Torrent, not have to see your constant whining about reates prices. I hear enough whining at home from my kids i dont come on these forums to hear the same from you, so lets focus on the Torrent please. Thank you.

BLD- So go and buy benchmade my friend. Those are some ugly knives $4 or $400, IMHO. Price does not justify anything so much in material as it does the design. If the design flows and you like it you buy it. All i have heard you do is cry and moan about the price. Go get another job, save up, or sell some of your other knives and buy it, or dont buy it. I just want to see pictures and discuss the Torrent, not have to see your constant whining about reates prices. I hear enough whining at home from my kids i dont come on these forums to hear the same from you, so lets focus on the Torrent please. Thank you.
A better idea would be for you to concentrate on the topic and not take things personally. Of course, if you don't like what I have to say, you can always set me on ignore or take it up with a moderator.

Remember, it's better to give a resentment than to get a resentment. :)

Last edited:
Oh right, yes back to the topic bld522

So, regarding Reate Torrent, who has handled one here? And I want to start off by saying that $375 is a good deal for all that milling, M390 blade, multirow ceramic bearing system, tood begg ceramic ball clip, ti hardware, etc etc etc. And its harpoon shaped blade looks like its gonna be a nice smooth flipper. I love my ZT 0562 but i will say that if it flipped as smooth as a reate it would be perfect but it doesnt so it cant. I have high expectationa for this torrent after owning a steel craft kwaiken and a hills both were perfect in everyway, prices justified on fit and finish as well as materials involved a top notch top quality. I have been very pleasantly surprised to say the least.

Just got an invoice today from my dealer to pay up, its in customs today and will ship by the end of the week to those with preorders

Back