Recent additions

I have a Para P14 in my night stand. Used to carry it. The officers here bought it for me when I had a operation on my head 15 years ago or so. Thought it would help me recuperate. They were right.
I was out 6 months laying around. That P14 went from night bed to day bed all the time. Was a year before I ever put bullets in it but I was sure familiar with it.

It's actually the gun that kicked off my grip making hobby. I wanted to find some nice wood handles for it and nobody made them at least at that time. So I decided to make my own. Kind of a tough gun to fit but got me started back in the sawdust.

Stories like this are among the many reasons I keep hanging out in this place !

Don't own a shotgun myself, but I recently was asked to inspect and clean a Sears M200, which it turned out is just a rebranded Winchester 1200. It was in good shape. Just some minor surface rust in a few areas. Still shootable. Though if we're discussing older firearms that we really like, I like my Schmidt-Rubin K1911 Carbine. I checked the serials, and it was made in 1916, and it is in good shape. When I picked it up at the FFL I had it shipped to they told me it was the best condition one they had ever seen.

Walnut or Beech sock? I think I have five from about fif teen years ago between the 1911, K1911 and 31's. I paid a little extra but all have the information about the original issuees under the butt plate on a tag held in by the top butt plate screw. I have not but, know of several that have contacted the original owner. Sounds cool, I guess I'm just lazy.

Walnut or Beech sock? I think I have five from about fif teen years ago between the 1911, K1911 and 31's. I paid a little extra but all have the information about the original issuees under the butt plate on a tag held in by the top butt plate screw. I have not but, know of several that have contacted the original owner. Sounds cool, I guess I'm just lazy.

I checked and there was no tag under the buttplate. I somewhat suspect that the rifle was issued to several people before being taken home. It has the mark indicating it was released into civilian service, but no tag. I also noted that the front sight base has three different windage marks on it, suggesting three different users, none of whom had a new base mounted, though the user manual says to do so.

Not having any affinity for wood identification, though I can tell the difference between a walnut and birch stocked M1 Garand, I think it's walnut. But why take my word for it when I can post a picture?

And since that picture was a bit far away, here's a closer picture so the grain is visible. The red coloration of the first picture is a bit closer to how it normally appears. For some reason the photo ended up removing some of the red.

Most definitely a walnut stock. Nice looking piece, one of my favorite military surplus rifles. Never held one that could not shoot like a house on fire.

Most definitely a walnut stock. Nice looking piece, one of my favorite military surplus rifles. Never held one that could not shoot like a house on fire.

I've only put ten rounds through it, sadly. There aren't really any good ranges close by that both allow the caliber and are long enough to make it worthwhile. And by the way, because of your question I ended up discovering a cartouche on the stock that I didn't know was there. It's a shield with a Swiss cross. It's a bit on the subtle side, so I'd never noticed it before. Thankfully they put it on the right side, and not the left. The left is a bit more beat up from all those times it would have been up against the soldier's boot and crampons when standing at attention with the rifle.

That's beautiful and all there and all correct it looks like.

I'm not as certain that it's Walnut myself. It's clearly stained with the usual military stock stain which usually has a red added to it.

It certainly could be walnut, I'm just not as sure. I don't know about Beech but Birch is actually stronger than Walnut. I found that a bit surprising myself but it's said to be true.

Very nice rifle, wish I had the front end on mine.

That's beautiful and all there and all correct it looks like.

I'm not as certain that it's Walnut myself. It's clearly stained with the usual military stock stain which usually has a red added to it.

It certainly could be walnut, I'm just not as sure. I don't know about Beech but Birch is actually stronger than Walnut. I found that a bit surprising myself but it's said to be true.

Very nice rifle, wish I had the front end on mine.

Sad thing is, the guy who chopped off the front end of yours probably thought he was making it more accurate, but the barrel is free-floated in the wood by design, so removing wood doesn't improve accuracy. So all he did was reduce the weight slightly, and expose more of the barrel. And exposing the barrel doesn't really gain you much on a design like this. It means the barrel cools quicker, but it's a bolt-action so that's not important, and it does expose more of the barrel to the elements to be damaged.

Yeah it's sad that so many feel the need to "Sporterize". My grandfather and dad both bought surplus 1917 Enfields back in the 60's. I think there were ridiculous cheap like 30 bucks or something. My grandfather cut the barrel down, removed the hump in the floor plate and cut the stock.
My dad bless his little pea picking heart, cut the stock but didn't do anything to the metal at all.
I started hunting with the usual Winchester 30-30, then got my grandfathers Enfield, all I ever hunted with.
When my dad passed I got his Enfield, actually I got it from him before he died, figured his gold digging wife would cut me out which she did but I got the rifle. I scrambled and tried to get a complete military stock. I got a very rough one but solid and all there. Wanted to get a picture of him in the original configuration. Didn't quite pull it off despite my best efforts.

So darn many cool old rifles cut up for no good reason usually.

The cut down ones bug me but, I've seen some beauties. Cut up Krags really bother me. Johnsons plain aggravate me.

I REALLY need to get into and learn about surplus...and get a straight pull!

Best surplus straight-pull is the K31. It's a further development on the K1911s we've been talking about. The various sites that sell surplus rifles are your best bet. The K31 is the best, like I said, but the K1911 Rifle and the K1911 Carbine are also quite good. The ammo is not the easiest to get, since it's 7.5 Swiss, but it is available. Best ammo for it is the surplus GP11 that is out there. It's accurate ammo, and not too expensive, and it is not even slightly corrosive.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Normally I only like "historical style" pattern welding, but this one spoke to me. Hand made in Hungary. I just need to get a sheath made for it.

i suspect it came from a friend of mine. i have the first one he made, came with a sheath tho. the rustic rusty edging was deliberate. don't think he liked it much and so i don't think he continued making sheaths for the latter ones, all of which are shorter (and i bet were easier to make). i have a number of adam's things. he makes nice damascus shepherds axe (fokos) heads, plain steel, damascus steel, damascus edge, damascus body & hardened edge, etc. etc. also war hammers plain HC steel and damsacus etc.

damascus%20knife%202.png
thiel%20damascus%20knife.jpg

it spoke to me too. had to eat ramen noodles for a few weeks to pay for it tho. it lives on the table right next to my TV chair :)

Last edited:
Holy Moley! Thats a sweet knife! Id eat Ramen for quite some time for that! More on the blade construction pls. How'd them fingers get into the picture? Thats awesome!

Last edited:
I needed something fancy to bring to Mongolian/Tibetan new year, which began yesterday I think. I used to use a nice bone handled Buck 119, but one of my inlaws took a liking to it so I sold it. I wanted something hand made and a little fancy as a replacement so this guy fit the bill

Oh you guys are a bad bad influence.

So how much American is 190.87 of whatever money they use in Hungary? I couldn't find the funny little mark in front on my keyboard.

I guess Too Much would be a good enough answer. I see an antler handled one just like yall got there. I'm one of them gotta keep up with the Kronks and the Blues guys ya know.

Back