Recommend a nice, but ‘less scary’ edc knife for my collection

DireWoof

Gold Member
Been downsizing the collection a lot recently and trying to focus in on a set of nicer knives that I’ll actually carry instead of a million knives that I don’t use.

I have a small group of folders that I actually do carry regularly at this point, but the only problem is that most of them either have longer blades, or the blade shapes are a bit too ‘stabby’ (looking at you ZT 0450) for some environments.

Here is what I find myself actually carrying a lot...
9D863D9D-C9B5-498F-934D-C6D86ED0C42E.jpeg
Large Inkosi - Usual carry
Benchmade Anthem - fidget toy
Spydiechef - Waterproof / foodprep
940-1 & Boos Smoke - Slim EDC if I need to carry IWB or have extra tight pockets. Will probably have to choose one of these to gravitate to more as they overlap
ZT 0450 - small light carry

So, given that selection, I feel that I am missing something that is more of a smaller gentleman’s type folder... or maybe not a gentleman’s folder exactly, but something with high quality materials, and one handed opening (so not a SAK / opinel)

Preferences:
1) More refined than tactical looking, so no G10, FRN, etc... titanium / wood / CF, something like that would be ideal
2) Not a big fan of flipper tabs sticking out.
3) slim in the pocket
4) One handed opening
5) Still needs a pocket clip
6) I really like more contoured handles and more ergonomic designs, as long as they stay slim in the pocket. The large inkosi fits me well.. on smaller knives I like the Caly 3 quite a bit too, but it is a big heavy and G10 ish. Am selling quite a few spydercos at the moment because while I like their ergos, most of the blades are all so tall that they take up a lot of pocket real estate.

A small sebenza maybe? what other ideas?

interested to see what suggestions come of this. ill follow along. :)

out of curiosity, what environments are there where a knife is too stabby?
Cant say birthday party, someone needs to pop the balloons afterwards. :)

i just got a Klotzli Swiss Border Guard button lock. Its Titanium but kinda classy looking. Still a little stabby but unless you carry a butter knife you will never please everyone

I guess the environment could be anywhere, its more about the type of people you’ll be around :)

The ZT 0450 is pretty good size wise I think in most cases, but it just has a more aggressive profile (to my eye at least) than most of the other larger knives I listed above. Could just be my imagination though.

i just got a Klotzli Swiss Border Guard button lock. Its Titanium but kinda classy looking. Still a little stabby but unless you carry a butter knife you will never please everyone
I just googled that one. It is a nice looking knife, maybe a bit more tactical looking than I’m aiming for here ATM. Pretty though.

I will have to say Spyderco Techno. I don’t own the 2 yet but I do own the techno 1 and it’s on par with the quality knives in your collection. It will make a nice and friendly edc knife . Tip is not as pointy and none threatening.

Been downsizing the collection a lot recently and trying to focus in on a set of nicer knives that I’ll actually carry instead of a million knives that I don’t use.

I have a small group of folders that I actually do carry regularly at this point, but the only problem is that most of them either have longer blades, or the blade shapes are a bit too ‘stabby’ (looking at you ZT 0450) for some environments.

Here is what I find myself actually carrying a lot...
View attachment 1061017
Large Inkosi - Usual carry
Benchmade Anthem - fidget toy
Spydiechef - Waterproof / foodprep
940-1 & Boos Smoke - Slim EDC if I need to carry IWB or have extra tight pockets. Will probably have to choose one of these to gravitate to more as they overlap
ZT 0450 - small light carry

So, given that selection, I feel that I am missing something that is more of a smaller gentleman’s type folder... or maybe not a gentleman’s folder exactly, but something with high quality materials, and one handed opening (so not a SAK / opinel)

Preferences:
1) More refined than tactical looking, so no G10, FRN, etc... titanium / wood / CF, something like that would be ideal
2) Not a big fan of flipper tabs sticking out.
3) slim in the pocket
4) One handed opening
5) Still needs a pocket clip
6) I really like more contoured handles and more ergonomic designs, as long as they stay slim in the pocket. The large inkosi fits me well.. on smaller knives I like the Caly 3 quite a bit too, but it is a big heavy and G10 ish. Am selling quite a few spydercos at the moment because while I like their ergos, most of the blades are all so tall that they take up a lot of pocket real estate.

A small sebenza maybe? what other ideas?
Very monochromatic

Both good suggestions on the sebenza and the massdrop lacancio. I had forgot about that one!

Skipping slip joints just because of the one handed thing. Too OCD to give up that flexibility.

I will have to say Spyderco Techno. I don’t own the 2 yet but I do own the techno 1 and it’s on par with the quality knives in your collection. It will make a nice and friendly edc knife . Tip is not as pointy and none threatening.
Have been thinking of that too, but was worried about it being too chubby in the pocket? How does it compare to some of my examples listed when closed?

EED7F2FA-8563-43AA-A490-72F957AF5CD8.jpeg

Have been thinking of that too, but was worried about it being too chubby in the pocket? How does it compare to some of my examples listed when closed?

It about the Same size thickness of the large sebenza

My collection is focused around smaller, classier knives so I'm curious to see what others suggest.

As for me, currently my leader in pocket time by far is the boos blades aero mini, but its nearly impossible to find. As far as easily obtainable knives that fit what you're looking for,

My first suggestion for someone looking for a gentleman's folder is always a CRK Mnandi. Gorgeous, effective, 1 hand opening (might take a little practice), really just the perfect gentleman's folder if you've got the money. I will note the pocket clip doesn't work very well for thicker pockets, but it works fine in my dress pants and is my go-to dress knife.

Beyond that, I'd say the small sebenza 21 (get CF or inlays if you want something fancier) or one of the special edition benchmade 485 valets (I have the shinola version with wood scales but there are 2 different titanium models) best fit what you're looking for. Word of warning on the 485, though, I have small hands and even I fail to open it on my first try sometimes.

The other thing I'd suggest would be maybe a Kizer Feist. I don't have one, but its thin and low-profile with high-end materials (plus people seem to get less scared by wharncliff/sheepsfoot kind of blades).

I've really been digging one of my Christmas gifts to myself. The WE Pleroma is very stunning in hand. The curves and lines are mesmerizing .... and I spend way too much time just looking at it. :D Seamless transitions from Ti to CF. One hand opening with thumb studs or blade opening. Smooth ceramic bearing pivot and dialed in detent which makes it very flickable.

15iamqd.jpg

2im0rd3.jpg

15s07yr.jpg

Back