Recommend a nice, but ‘less scary’ edc knife for my collection

giphy.gif

Gif of one handed Mnandi opening in case you were curious. It's a newer one (Oct, 2016) and you just pinch the blade on either side where the cutouts are. You certainly can't flick it open, but if you want to you can still get it open pretty fast (under half a second once its in hand, counting picking it up I was still able to do it in under a second). If you've got the money its not uncommon to find them on the forums here for around $350, and getting them used you know what the wood will look like.

That said, it's hard to argue against the pakkawood dragonfly or Mcusta if you're looking for something closer to the $100 range.
Awesome. Thanks for the Gif :) I think I probably will end up trying to find a Mnandi on the exchange, and probably buy at least one of the other cheaper options mentioned in the thread... just have to over analyze everything first...

Have you considered carrying a traditional slip joint in addition to your modern folder for those times when you nervous about using a "stabby" blade?

Mabey a barlow or dare I say, a peanut?
I do have a SAK on my keychain already, and I’ve honestly never really felt like I needed to use it instead of my main knife, so I suppose I’m really just looking for an excuse to buy a different style knife than anything I currently have :)

The Benchmade Valet would make a nice addition to your collection. It is big enough to be useful and I doubt many folks would find this little guy threatening.

I haven't read every post, so maybe it's been mentioned already, but a small Sebenza or Inkosi sounds like what you're looking for. I know you said no flippers, but don't rule out the Laconico Keen.
DSC00193-X2.jpg

DSC00163-X2.jpg

For sure. I like locks and one handed opening, but traditional knives are great too. There are some really nice looking inexpensive production options out there, both slippies and locking ones like this one that I carry all the time:

F8bRx8A.jpg

I throw this one in my pocket loose and dropped it a couple of times so now it has some dings and scratches, but it's still a really good looking knife that's a pleasure to use.
Is that a wharncliffe version? Very nice.

,,,Mike in Canada

I haven't responded to this thread as the OP tends to like and use higher end knives (cost wise) than I do and felt my suggestions may not be well received. But the new Northwoods one blade Madison Barlow would be a great knife for a nice people friendly knife.

I haven't responded to this thread as the OP tends to like and use higher end knives (cost wise) than I do and felt my suggestions may not be well received. But the new Northwoods one blade Madison Barlow would be a great knife for a nice people friendly knife.
I actually do like the look of those Northwoods Barlows and if I can get over my OCD about one handed opening, I would actually be tempted to get one.

Do these handle scales mark up easily?

,,,Mike in Canada
I actually have one of those that I never carried for sale right now!
I bought it a long while back thinking it was just what I wanted too, but I could never bring myself to carry it because I didn’t want to scuff up the body (and it looks like is is REALLY prone to that). Also, it is a knife that I think you should see the exact one you are purchasing because the patterns vary and you might get a more ‘boring’ one.

Awesome. Thanks for the Gif :) I think I probably will end up trying to find a Mnandi on the exchange, and probably buy at least one of the other cheaper options mentioned in the thread... just have to over analyze everything first...

If you look you might be able to find one of the older style ones which were easier to just thumb open.

That’s definitely a change I wish CRK hadn’t made.

Two thoughts--

--you really should consider a fancy slipjoint. To most of the public there are two kinds of knives: ones like their father/grandfather used that open with two hands and are safe. Or, ones that open with one hand, are dangerous and used by gang members. I was once in a nurse's office and she was showing me how to use sharps (!). To remove the plastic wrap from the box I took out my small sebenza (with micarta) and opened it; her eyes got wide with fear. There are all kinds of classy slipjoints, and Case (and others ) have some with clips.

--take a look at Roper knives. They have one that looks just like a yellow Case slipjoint, but it is one-handed opening with a thumbstud, is a liner lock and has a long clip. Plus it is 1095 and gets sharp as hell and is under $20. I think it is the Pecos model but check.

A few months ago I was looking for knife much like the op described in the first post. A good forum friend told me to check out the Three Rivers Mfg. Neutron. I am glad he did.

I liked what I saw in the specs and reviews, so I picked up one on the exchange here. I have been very happy with its ergos and performance so far. Thin 20CV steel with a high flat grind makes for a great slicer. Interchangable handle scales are available and easily swapped out if that’s your thing for variety. Another plus is that it is American made.

Phil

A.G. Russell Medium Gents Folding Hunter:

I even cleaned a squirrel with it last year, to see how it works as a Hunter:
Jeremy
I think your knife is great but your rifle looks to be way overkill for squirrel hunting. What is it and at what distance do you shoooooot squirrels.

Jeremy
I think your knife is great but your rifle looks to be way overkill for squirrel hunting. What is it and at what distance do you shoooooot squirrels.

It's a pre-charged pneumatic (PCP) air rifle, a Brocock Compatto in .177. It sends out a 10 gr. hollow point pellet at about 900 fps. It's just enough medicine for squirrels out to about 50 yards. That's about 18 ft-lbs is energy, compared to a 22LR with regular high velocity ammo, which shoots a 36 gr. bullet at around 1250 fps, for around 140 ft-lbs.

The .22 PCP air rifles make more like 30 ft-lbs, which is even better past 40 yards, out to about 80. 30 ft-lbs blows right through them, even body shots.

In my back yard, I shot them from 10 to 45 yards. I'm in a town home now, so I have to actually go OUT somewhere to hunt them any more.

Check out Walter Wells on IG, Great custom knives at super reasonable prices. I think his lead time is about a month or so right now. He generally uses an inset tab liner lock only, so his work is crazy light weight, and he can accommodate a fair number of steel choices.

Back