1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommend me a Barlow

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by TFin04, Dec 1, 2016.

1. TFin04

TFin04

Aug 21, 2005
    Hi guys,

I've dabbled in traditionals here and there over the years. Had a Queen Canoe I carried quite a bit, and I still carry one of Grandpa's old Camillus Muskrats. The traditionals have recently caught my eye again, and I think a medium sized Barlow is where I'd like to land next. Here's what I'm thinking:

- 2.5 to 3" clip point blade
    - Long nail nick
    - Carbon steel
    - Under $100

Recommendations? I'm browsing Case, GEC, and Queen. Unsure if there are others I should consider.

2. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Right now , probably the only ones available are Queen , Schatt & Morgan , and Trestle Pines unless you look for some made in Sheffield .
    When they are available , I prefer the GEC made products and the 77 size is more to my liking.
    Good Luck in finding what you like . They are a great pattern .

Harry

3. LastRodeo

LastRodeo Platinum Member Platinum Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Check out the Boker barlow. I have one of the carbon steel 125th anniversary models, there is a 440c stainless version also.

4. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    If you get into the Traditional classifieds here (and also search the internet at large) you can find plenty of discontinued Barlow's made by Boker, Case, GEC, and Queen, etc. If you're patient you will find the brand you want. Good luck, OH

5. Rich S

Rich S

Sep 23, 2005
    Rough Rider, Colt and Marbles make nice barlows. Have one of each.

Rich

6. wtlj

wtlj

Jun 30, 2014
    GEC 77 Barlow IS the medium Barlow IMO... I've tried them all and sold them all except my GEC's.
    The hardest part (or near impossible) will be finding a 77 clip point long pull on the secondary market for $100.

My new favorite: 77 bone Micarta clip blade long pull...
    [​IMG]
    Or perhaps you like the more narrow GEC clip point blade:
    [​IMG]

If you'd like me to send you a 77 to check out shoot me a pm. [emoji6]

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  7. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    What a nice offer

8. TFin04

TFin04

Aug 21, 2005
    Very generous offer indeed! I am sure it would just lead to me buying one, so I'll probably just start my search for one now. I've had a few Case and Queen over the years, but I have not had hands on a GEC yet. Everything I read/see indicates they are in another class, so I should probably just pony up and buy one.

Thanks for the help guys!

9. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Yep I have 2RR one's and you can find most brands here or on the www.

10. r redden

r redden Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 23, 2015
    Just bought a 77 clip off of the exchange in your price range last night. If you see one pop up act fast they don't last long. I love the Barlow pattern and own several of them. I like older ones from USA companies as well as new GEC, Schatt and Morgan, Queen and such. The Rough Rider, Colt and such are good knives but IMO just not the quality of the previous ones I mentioned. Here's an older picture of some of mine.

[​IMG]

11. choombak

choombak Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Don't write-off the Sheffield made Wright knives. They make some awesome reasonably priced barlows!

12. arizonaranchman

arizonaranchman

Jan 1, 2012
    What a kind offer by WTLJ... I can assure you the 77 Barlow is THE premier Barlow of the modern day. I have two and they're absolutely the top 2 pocket knives of the modest selection have. Quality is outstanding in every way. This is the type of thing you pay for once and never again worry about or regret trying to save a few dollars by going with something lesser. Whether it's $100 or $150 - whatever is it find the money (have a bake sale or clean out the garage and sell a couple things to come up with the extra money!) and you'll not regret it. :thumbup:

13. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I agree with Arizona !!! I have 9 of the 77's and there is not a bad one in the bunch .

Harry

14. ArchVV

ArchVV

Sep 8, 2015
    Hi TFin04, I believe I can help ya out. I have a "seconds" example of one of the most recent runs of the 77 clip w/ long pull and copperhead covers. Send me a PM if you're interested.

15. deltaboy

deltaboy

Jul 6, 2014
    Hit the net and find Imperial or Camco one's or old timer ones.

16. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    If not for the "carbon steel" I was going to suggest the Rough Rider.
    I really like the one I have.

17. runninmike

runninmike

Oct 19, 2005
    I like the Dan Burke small Barlow by Queen....it has a wharncliffe small blade, and spear main. You can still find them if ya look around. About 100 bucks though...recieved one for my bday a few yrs ago...

18. Campbellclanman

Campbellclanman Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I think you should buy a Vintage Barlow.
    Ulster, Schrade, Primble, Remington, Russel Oh man your choice range is Massive! All you need is a bit of time and you will find an amazing Vintage Barlow.

For your $100 you will get a very nice Vintage ofantastic Quality.

The above mentioned 77's are great knives- Charlie's TC's are the ulimate.

19. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    now thats a duo! love the bone micarta it is my favorite from the new run and probably the hardest to get, ha you snagged that modded 77!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  20. MJ71

MJ71 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 18, 2016
    Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk