Recommend me a Barlow

Hi guys,

I've dabbled in traditionals here and there over the years. Had a Queen Canoe I carried quite a bit, and I still carry one of Grandpa's old Camillus Muskrats. The traditionals have recently caught my eye again, and I think a medium sized Barlow is where I'd like to land next. Here's what I'm thinking:

- 2.5 to 3" clip point blade
- Long nail nick
- Carbon steel
- Under $100

Recommendations? I'm browsing Case, GEC, and Queen. Unsure if there are others I should consider.

Right now , probably the only ones available are Queen , Schatt & Morgan , and Trestle Pines unless you look for some made in Sheffield .
When they are available , I prefer the GEC made products and the 77 size is more to my liking.
Good Luck in finding what you like . They are a great pattern .

Harry

Check out the Boker barlow. I have one of the carbon steel 125th anniversary models, there is a 440c stainless version also.

If you get into the Traditional classifieds here (and also search the internet at large) you can find plenty of discontinued Barlow's made by Boker, Case, GEC, and Queen, etc. If you're patient you will find the brand you want. Good luck, OH

Rough Rider, Colt and Marbles make nice barlows. Have one of each.

Rich

GEC 77 Barlow IS the medium Barlow IMO... I've tried them all and sold them all except my GEC's.
The hardest part (or near impossible) will be finding a 77 clip point long pull on the secondary market for $100.

My new favorite: 77 bone Micarta clip blade long pull...

Or perhaps you like the more narrow GEC clip point blade:

If you'd like me to send you a 77 to check out shoot me a pm. [emoji6]

Last edited:
Very generous offer indeed! I am sure it would just lead to me buying one, so I'll probably just start my search for one now. I've had a few Case and Queen over the years, but I have not had hands on a GEC yet. Everything I read/see indicates they are in another class, so I should probably just pony up and buy one.

Thanks for the help guys!

Just bought a 77 clip off of the exchange in your price range last night. If you see one pop up act fast they don't last long. I love the Barlow pattern and own several of them. I like older ones from USA companies as well as new GEC, Schatt and Morgan, Queen and such. The Rough Rider, Colt and such are good knives but IMO just not the quality of the previous ones I mentioned. Here's an older picture of some of mine.

dQhhJjj.jpg

Don't write-off the Sheffield made Wright knives. They make some awesome reasonably priced barlows!

Very generous offer indeed! I am sure it would just lead to me buying one, so I'll probably just start my search for one now. I've had a few Case and Queen over the years, but I have not had hands on a GEC yet. Everything I read/see indicates they are in another class, so I should probably just pony up and buy one.

What a kind offer by WTLJ... I can assure you the 77 Barlow is THE premier Barlow of the modern day. I have two and they're absolutely the top 2 pocket knives of the modest selection have. Quality is outstanding in every way. This is the type of thing you pay for once and never again worry about or regret trying to save a few dollars by going with something lesser. Whether it's $100 or $150 - whatever is it find the money (have a bake sale or clean out the garage and sell a couple things to come up with the extra money!) and you'll not regret it. :thumbup:

I agree with Arizona !!! I have 9 of the 77's and there is not a bad one in the bunch .

Harry

Hi TFin04, I believe I can help ya out. I have a "seconds" example of one of the most recent runs of the 77 clip w/ long pull and copperhead covers. Send me a PM if you're interested.

If not for the "carbon steel" I was going to suggest the Rough Rider.
I really like the one I have.

I like the Dan Burke small Barlow by Queen....it has a wharncliffe small blade, and spear main. You can still find them if ya look around. About 100 bucks though...recieved one for my bday a few yrs ago...

I think you should buy a Vintage Barlow.
Ulster, Schrade, Primble, Remington, Russel Oh man your choice range is Massive! All you need is a bit of time and you will find an amazing Vintage Barlow.

For your $100 you will get a very nice Vintage ofantastic Quality.

The above mentioned 77's are great knives- Charlie's TC's are the ulimate.

GEC 77 Barlow IS the medium Barlow IMO... I've tried them all and sold them all except my GEC's.
The hardest part (or near impossible) will be finding a 77 clip point long pull on the secondary market for $100.

My new favorite: 77 bone Micarta clip blade long pull...

Or perhaps you like the more narrow GEC clip point blade:

If you'd like me to send you a 77 to check out shoot me a pm. [emoji6]

now thats a duo! love the bone micarta it is my favorite from the new run and probably the hardest to get, ha you snagged that modded 77!

Last edited:
What a kind offer by WTLJ... I can assure you the 77 Barlow is THE premier Barlow of the modern day. I have two and they're absolutely the top 2 pocket knives of the modest selection have. Quality is outstanding in every way. This is the type of thing you pay for once and never again worry about or regret trying to save a few dollars by going with something lesser. Whether it's $100 or $150 - whatever is it find the money (have a bake sale or clean out the garage and sell a couple things to come up with the extra money!) and you'll not regret it. :thumbup:

Well said. Couldn't agree more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back