Recommend me a good mulit tool

I find myself needing pliers or a screw
driver often enough to justify carrying a multi tool. I also want a decent blade. What would recommend? Something strong and durable but comfortable enough to carry in a sheath on your side without it being intrusive also a from a good company that will stand behind their products. I look forward to what you recommend.

If that is the extent of what you need, then the Leatherman Skeletool has exactly those tools, plus a carbiner/cap lifter.

Kinda second the skeletool. It isn't exactly ground to slice and the handles really give under pressure, but for what you need it could fit the bill with unnecessary bulk. I normally recommend the swisstools over leatherman but I don't think it's blade is what you want. What I recommend against are the MUT ans the other models with a similar frame: the ergos are too bad for its weightclass

I’ve got a Leatherman Rebar and use it for it a multitude of tasks several times a day. I had a wet molded leather sheath made for it, so it carry’s 10x better on my belt than the standard nylon/velcro sheath. I like the versatility of having plenty of options. The above suggestions are excellent also, it just depends on what you’re going for and what it’s use will be.

I have a rebar(and just about every other MT )excellent value and crazy tough what I also like is that they are pretty compact-definitely thumbs up

So the general consensus seems to be a Leatherman of which flavor I prefer. How do they compare to sak? And Gerber? I've never owned either brand.

Last edited:
So the general consensus seems to be a Leatherman of which flavor I prefer. How do they compare to sak? And Gerber? I've never owned either brand.

My main experience comes from comparing Vic Swisstools to LM Supertools and there are some older threads in this sub discussing the comparisons.

Vic makes a darned good pliers based multitool, in fact I edc a Swisstool X, so it mostly comes down to the design choices and which fits your needs better. The full sized Swisstool is big and heavy, but well made with a great selection of tools and excellent fit and finish, not to mention outside opening tools which I very much prefer. Where Leatherman really pulls ahead is variety of models. They have something for about anyone's needs.

Vic's smaller model, the Swisstool Spirit is also very good, but still might be bigger and heavier than it sounds like you'd prefer in your op and has a lot of tools you might not use much. If that isn't the case, I'd suggest looking at the Spirit in your search as well. There's a few different models of Spirit that exchange one tool for another, so that would also be something to consider if you decided it might fit your needs.

Last edited:
I have carried a Leatherman Juice S2 every day in my pocket for the past 2+ years and use it all of the time. It will do most everything I need a small multi tool to do. I also have a Leatherman Wave and when I know that I have some larger tasks to do I will strap the Wave to my belt. The Wave always performs like a champ and if you buy the additional driver set you can really expand the Wave's capabilities.

The series of Victorinox " Cybertool " and Swisstool or Victorinox SwissChamp and Workchamp are recommended

My vote is the Rebar. About the only knock against it, and it's not really a knock, is that it doesn't have an external knife blade. That's more about my laziness and less about it being a real issue with the tool.

I carry the ST300 on the jobsite from time to time, but honestly the Rebar can do just about anything the ST can except pull down your pants.

Depends a bit on what you want it for and if you have any size in mind .... but I can recommend Leatherman ... I carry a Wave more then any others ...

but I've used Leatherman for years and they have always done me right if there was ever an issue even from wear they've been great.

Yeah, go Leatherman!

I’m eye balling the Charge TI atm iv been doing a lot of research and I keep coming back to that! Hope you find one soon!

I skimmed through the replies and didn't see SOG mentioned. All of the tools mentioned are great I'm sure. I've had Leatherman multitools and loved them. The ONE thing SOG multi-tools have that the other's don't (that I know of) is the capability to switch out the individual tools in a single multi-tool. I bought a SOG power-tool several years ago. As with every single multi-tool I've ever bought there were some tools in it I never used. For example, a bottle opener. It's been years since I held a bottle in my hand that didn't have a screw top.

I looked at all the individual tools in my power-lock and over time replaced some. I even took out the knife blade and put in scissors or a V-cutter of something because my grandson liked playing with it. Now I have a SOG power-lock with only tools I use. Maybe not often but I don't have one in there I simply don't use. Plus, having a 1/4" adapter you can use 1/4" sockets with it. Or use an adapter to convert it to hex for standard screwdriver bits so I also have a few other screwdriver bits in the belt pouch with the multi-tool. SOG sells the extra bits like this in a great set. But I already had everything needed so I didn't get the SOG set. It is nice though.

Since a lot of the SOG multi-tools can be disassemble to replace unused items you can take it apart for cleaning or replacing a tool you broke. Although I'm sure no one has used their knife blade for prying. :)

In addition to being able to replace the tools it is a very strong multi-tool and carry it 95% of the time. Like a pocket knife I don't realize how often I use the pliers until I need them and don't have it with me. :(

Just another multi-tool option.

If you're comfortable with that big auction site, look for the (discontinued) Kick or Blast models from Leatherman. Very basic -- but solid and compact -- models. They can be found on the cheap.

Back