Recommend me a good mulit tool

I'm a big fan of the leatherman pst II (2). Some of the best multi tool scissors, and an awesome diamond file. Weighs only 5 ounces and can be found used for $25-30.

I'm a huge Leatherman fan, but I appreciate multitools in general. Lately, I've been driven to find the most tool for the least weight. I came to appreciate the similarity between the Skeletool and the Gerber Crucial. A lot has been said about the Skeletool already. The Crucial is about 5 oz and has a nearly identical toolset. It offers a choice of carabiner or strap cutter. Either option folds into the handle, making it a more compact package. The Crucial and Skeletool both have pocket clips, but the folding carabiner on the Crucial is better for deep pocket carry. At, about $20 less than Skeletool and on-par with the Sidekick, it is easy on the wallet, too. All implements lock, as well. Sidekick has implements that don't. I love them all, but thought this was an option that needed offering.

I recently picked up a Heritage Wave+ and really like it. I tried a Charge+ but returned it within two days. The action was incredibly gritty, especially for the main blade.

I am addict, so I have a Leatherman Charge, Swisstool CS and a Gerber center drive. Unfortunately, I spend all my money on knives and flashlights and might have a problem.

I find the Gerber Center drive the best for the screwdriver function - check out the pictures and you will see. Also the pliers are good quality and easy to use.
https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Cente...sr=8-4&keywords=gerber+center+drive+multitool

I have seen Gerber CenterDrive breaking the wire cutting blade when cutting hardwire in youtube test videos. So I gave it a miss.

I have over forty different models and variations of Leatherman MT plus Buck, Schrade, Kershaw, ViseGrip, and at least a half dozen different Gerbers. I virtually always carry a Wave (second version). If I want to go minimal, I carry a LM Freestyle. For heavy work I haul out a LM Surge (first version). For dress-up, I switch to a LM Charge TI. If I could only own one (God forbid!), it would be the Wave. Besides having almost every tool I might need (I carry a bit kit with extention), I rely heavily on the
wave's one-hand-opening blades. Happy hunting! T-A

My solution for regular carry has been a standard two layer Vic Tinker type knife that has the screw drivers. I would say... light duty only on the screw drivers. I add a Leatherman Ps4 Squirt for the pliers. I like almost a needle nosed pliers and for my needs, the fat pliers really weren't something I would carry. Plus I keep a Vic Spirit and often a SOG multi-tool in my field carry bag if I should need a larger pair of pliers which is rare. I keep a small pair of pliers on my desk all the time for. I generally want a pair of pliers that will open up large enough to fit on a water hose to further tighten beyond hand tight or loosen. Most of the day to day stuff is handled nicely by the Squirt. The Squirt also has a small knife blade which for me would be "emergency cutting" as I usually have a knife on me.

Yeah, go Leatherman!

I’m eye balling the Charge TI atm iv been doing a lot of research and I keep coming back to that! Hope you find one soon!

Yea, the charge has an s30v blade that should hold the edge, and titanium frame to reduce weight. It has the hook strap cutter thing too. I like it

Most of the folks replying here missed the requirement for a decent blade.

I'm into multi toools more than knives, I've tried most of them. Not many meet your requirement of having a decent blade.

The one I like with a decent blade is the Leatherman Charge Al. Same as the Ti, but with hard anodized aluminum scales instead of titanium.

The SwissTool Spirit X is better in every way except the blade material and the lack of one handed opening.

So the Leatherman Charge is the one to get, for you.

A lot of my buddies over on multitool.org carry the plier-based multi tool of their choice, then compliment it with a tactical folder with an excellent blade and ergonomics. The interior blade on the multi tool then becomes a backup or "dirty job blade".

My compromise is a Victorinox Manager in my pocket and a Leatherman Charge in my bag. Add a decent folder, when I'm in the mood.

I have never been particularly concerned about the blade steel in a multi-tool. I seldom use the blade for anything. I'm more interested in the functionality of the pliers and the overall strength and dependability of the tool.

if you want heavy duty go with a Leatherman Surge, lighter weight go with a wave plus.

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I always have a MT on my belt (except in the shower!), usually a wave, but occasionally a charge or a surge. Last evening when my wife got the dog's rope toy entangled in the lawnmower blade, I grabbed my charge and quickly cut through the rope with the serated blade. I reserve that blade for rope and, in an emergency, for seat belts. I don't like half serated blades, so I like Leatherman's tools having one serated and one not.

Just a note regarding the surge, while it is big and heavy, it also has a feature no other Leatherman has. Because the file in the saw blades are interchangeable, you could potentially use the file to sharpen the knife blade. In a pinch, that might come in handy.

Skeletool cx, as previously stated, would work out for you I believe. Even has a decent blade steel.

Russ

Not squelch discussion, but the OP reported that he made his selection in February. In a few months, perhaps he can give his 1-year review (even as recommendations continue to come in ;^).

Back