Recommend me a traditional lockback in high end steel

Case bose lockback Whittler 154cm
They are very expensive andprob hard to find now. But I really like mine.

I recommend you look at Buck. They make the buck 110 pro and 112 pro with black G10 handles ans S30V blades. also the 110 slim pro, and 112 slim pro with S30V blades and three choices of Micarta handles. all of these van be had from their website or probably and dealer. then there is a web exclusive 110 with black Crelicam ebony handles and S30v blade. In their custom shop the 110, 112 and 501 can be had with S30V blades and a number of different handle options.

From DLT trading you can get the the 110 with a 20CV blade, s35VN blade, or S30V blade. The 112 with a S30V blade and the 501 with a S35VN blade.

O.B.

• Moki Kronos. Super steel or not it's right up there with my customs in quality and vg10 cuts really well.
If you have a larger budged the Wilfred Lockback Case Bose collab is in 154cm.

Honestly I have both and they are neck and neck in quality but I'd lean Moki in overall fit and finish.

Buck lockbacks are/have been recently in S30V, S35Vn, D2, and 5160 not to mention the entry model in 420hc. I really like my 5160 model. Pretty much all the above recommendations are nice but some are very fancy and or high end. I have a Manly Peak in S90V that isn't as smooth opening as some but it's tough and a wicked cutter that really keeps cutting and cutting. Not bad price either.

For the traditionalists the Spyderco Endura/Delica are maybe out of bounds. I was one until I tried and carried my first one. I couldn't put it down and that is over 20 years now. Select the steel you prefer and go at it. Mine have never wore out. When I buy a new one to try the new steel I put my old one down. Then I pick it back up and carry it. They just get smoother opening and never really wear out in my experience.

Joe

For a smaller knife, you can't beat a Spyderco Native in Maxamet.

For a bit larger, I heartily recommend a Cold Steel Voyager Large. (AUS10A)

Both are easy to open with two hands, even with gloves on.

I'd suggest a Spyderco as well.
As your father gets older, opening traditionals with nail nicks will get harder and harder. Even a flipper stud might be difficult, but that big spydie hole should be much easier to grasp and open, and you can even teach him the one-handed snap.
A gentleman's folder like the Delica with VG-10 damascus blade might be worth considering.

I’d recommend an Endura 4 for the blade length. Good ole VG10 works great. Cold Steel folders are awesome too, but disengaging the Tri-Ad lock can be tough.

Here's the Buck 110 from DLT in 20CV...
BUCK-__49514.1568916999.jpg

AG Russell makes an very traditional Bolstered Lockback in VG10. It's a very good choice.

As already mentioned, Case made the Wilfred Whittler in collaboration with Tony Bose (who just passed), and while expensive, it's a really special knife.

And, while not a lockback, if you can find a Cold Steel Ranch Boss it's one of the best Traditional style knives in "super steel" (S35Vn) ever.

One factor that makes most locking knives a great choice for your father is they are very easy to open.

My Buck 110 Pro is a superb knife, and the S30V steel is even better than their 420HC.

If your dad is a super steel enthusiast, I don’t think anyone can beat Spyderco’s Shaman for smooth operation, amazing selection of steels, and the compression lock is great. Here is a Shaman with Rex 45 steel and my Buck 110 Pro.
1074BCDF-F377-4828-82B1-DA8400D9CDFA.jpeg 69F0B6B6-1DCE-4FEB-A675-F4D02C09563D.jpeg

I got him a damascus Delica years ago. He doesn't carry it, I think, because it looks fancy and he doesn't want to mark it up.

What about a Lionsteel Opera in Rams horn?
Thats what I got my dad. He loves it.

What about a Lionsteel Opera in Rams horn?
Thats what I got my dad. He loves it.
My first post here. I noticed that your credentials carry a lot of weight, so I was hoping that you could help me with a decision. I have narrowed my first serious Knife choice down to one knife, the Lionsteel Opera. The thing that keeps me from completing my order is choosing between Rams horn and Stag antler. Gut is kinda leaning towards Ram, but I notice Stag is priced higher. Is Stag truly considered the more valuable acquisition? Why, why not? Just any sort of input from yourself or any members here truly appreciated.

I'm looking for a knife for my father. He opens everything with two hands, and due to age and finger size, lockbacks work best for him. So...anything good in a high end steel with a lockback?

My favorite. The Boker Hunter series in CPM Cruwear, you can pick 1, 3 or four blades. Mine has 3:

i-3Sm95mh-X3.jpg

This is the single blade version, but if your dad is like me, a cork-screw comes on very handy (picture linked from KC):

iu

You can allso buy a Cruwear blade for a Boker Optima. Cheers,

Roland.

Back