Recommend me an Etching Fluid?

Since Radio Shack went the way of the Dodo,

I have no idea which etching fluid to source.

I'm thinking I'd like my BK-17 even more of it were stripped.
Perhaps even my new 16 as well.

I have good success with Airplane Stripper, and have made my own etching fluid in the past.
But that is a hassle. I only need a Testor's Paint sized jar.

This is the only stuff I can source locally.
https://www.amazon.com/Armour-ARM15...t=&hvlocphy=9017624&hvtargid=pla-347663386982

Thanks,
LV,

I have the same stuff. Dabbed some on with a q-tip, washed it off a few hours later and wa-la…

eta- For those unfamiliar, this was done before the blade was stripped. I taped off a square around the logo with masking tape, made a little puddle of ferric chloride to cover the logo and left it alone for a few hours.
1bjtAm5.jpg

Last edited:
Or you can go with a faster method And less toxic. 9 volt battery, saltwater, two wires a few Q-tips and clips. Just have to remember to hold the positive TO GROUND ;)
E2D6614D-8C82-47AC-8396-32D2EA685B2D.jpegB1E3B5A8-FF8F-40CD-B10F-F25A2341F920.jpeg
I just hold the positive bare wire to the edge. Three clips is all needed :thumbsup: Just an alternative:)

Last edited:
Or Voilà. Your call.

Sorry no I’ll intent meant. It’s just something that I heard at a comedy show once and I love it.

Irregardless if you used it intentionally or ironically it’s just one of those things that’s always rolling around in my mind.

Since Radio Shack went the way of the Dodo,

I have no idea which etching fluid to source.

I'm thinking I'd like my BK-17 even more of it were stripped.
Perhaps even my new 16 as well.

I have good success with Airplane Stripper, and have made my own etching fluid in the past.
But that is a hassle. I only need a Testor's Paint sized jar.

This is the only stuff I can source locally.
https://www.amazon.com/Armour-ARM15...t=&hvlocphy=9017624&hvtargid=pla-347663386982

Thanks,
LV,
Actually, RadioShack is still around, and they still sell the etchant.

Or you can go with a faster method And less toxic. 9 volt battery, saltwater, two wires a few Q-tips and clips. Just have to remember to hold the positive TO GROUND ;)
View attachment 1634458View attachment 1634457
I just hold the positive bare wire to the edge. Three clips is all needed :thumbsup: Just an alternative:)

I tried this once...... how long is it supposed to take?
I got the sizzle, but it seemed like it had little effect, idk what i did wrong?

I've read about using blue, and bleach...... obviously with good ventilation.
something More to read about.

I tried this once...... how long is it supposed to take?
I got the sizzle, but it seemed like it had little effect, idk what i did wrong?

I've read about using blue, and bleach...... obviously with good ventilation.
something More to read about.
It should work pretty fast. 5-10 minutes per side .Any oil even from your skin will cause a slow process. Wipe with alcohol to remove any oil first. The only thing that will be a problem would be a weak battery not enough salt or the positive not to ground. I’ve done quite a few and it works just fine.Except when I used negative to ground . That will not work at all . Keep us posted

It should work pretty fast. 5-10 minutes per side .Any oil even from your skin will cause a slow process. Wipe with alcohol to remove any oil first. The only thing that will be a problem would be a weak battery not enough salt or the positive not to ground. I’ve done quite a few and it works just fine.Except when I used negative to ground . That will not work at all . Keep us posted

will do.... I've been wanting to try this again.

Would this also work on stainless? I have an INFI blade ( I think it's SS, or close at least?) that could use this affection.....

will do.... I've been wanting to try this again.

Would this also work on stainless? I have an INFI blade ( I think it's SS, or close at least?) that could use this affection.....
Nice! I’ve never tried this method on stainless so I don’t know.
A couple of pics showing results of 9volt saltwater. Just watch the depth you want :) The saber 16 is a factory roll stamp of course:thumbsup: Another thing worth mentioning is the current factory etchings seem show up even after removing the paint. It’s definitely a preference thing. I liked the old roll stamp look.
95F0CABA-DC8F-4B2F-B1CE-FDD04526A58D.jpegD0F034C8-2A0E-4F68-83A8-2ADF9D4783F3.jpeg

Last edited:
Back