Recommendation? Recommendation for a knife under $200

My bad, I meant tip up. How did you carry the mili tip up? I think you said you carried your military tip up somewhere un this threado_O:).

What I meant was pretty much all my other folders I carry tip up if they have the option. The military does not offer tip up however it's tip down only configuration is just fine. I personally wouldn't discount a good knife based on tip down alone. I believe Spyderco didn't offer tip up on the Millie bc of the substantial amount of choking up on the long handle that would be required to deploy the blade after pulling out the pocket. At least that's what I read somewhere anyway. Custom scales are available I believe to add tip up but it's not a big deal to me really. the military is one of my favorite full sized folders.

I'd say the best knife I own under $200 is either the ZT0450 or the ZT0920. 0450 was $140 on an Amazon super sale for black Friday and got the 0920 on a discontinued clearance of $175; 0920 is a drop shut all day, feels great in the hand.

Could probably get a crooked river also but benchmade pissed a lot of people off recently because of their recent drama, not sure of that matters to you or not, it's a decent knife though

Heard of it, but not a whole lot. What's your opinion on it if you own one?

It's a great knife. One of the few thumbstuds I can operate easily.

The Lionsteel SR-1A and SR-2A fit your criteria, though if I remember correctly they use Teflon washers.

DPx hest is good too, made by lionsteel

Last edited:
Not sure about the washers, but may want to check out the new Cold Steel AD10 and AD15

09136594-433D-4C33-B505-4416DB63A8DF.jpegThe ZT will be my first choice and second will be a Military in CF and TI . Don’t waste your Cash on a s30v G10 military it’s over priced .

Second on Spyderco Gayle Bradley and Spydiechef.

GB1_sale.JPG

Chef_best2.JPG

Thank you for all of your replies! I picked up a Spydiechef and if I don't like it, I'll probably return it for the Military. I couldn't pick up the souther grind spider monkey or the Gayle Bradley because I don't have the sharpening system to keep up with the edge:confused::oops:

Even if you like the spydiechief, you’ll still want a millie (assuming that you aren’t limited to one). There are so many choices of steels and handle combinations that make this 4” folder a joy to pick out every morning! Don’t overthink the sharpening system, get one that’s easy and convenient to use on all your knives. I have the sharpmaker with ultra fine and coarse stones and that takes care of everything—sometimes I’ll bring 1 rod and freehand sharpen with an ultra fine. DMT’s are easy and aggressively remove metal (despite applying very little pressure-almost none at all really).

Last edited:
Even if you like the spydiechief, you’ll still want a millie (assuming that you aren’t limited to one). There are so many choices of steels and handle combinations that make this 4” folder a joy to pick out every morning!
Yeah, I mean it's the curse we all have in this forum. We can't stop buying knives:), sooner or later I'll probably end up with a milie.:p

Back