Recommendation needed

Chippa

BANNED
I hate to be that guy, bit I'm in serious need of a new folder and looking for some recommendations.

I just had to retire a delica 4 in vg10 that was beat to hell. It was a hard user for about 6 months, but the steel was still too soft and the frn got worked pretty quickly. I am currently back to a kershaw link in 440. I have grown to dislike flippers and assisted knives but it's all I have at the moment.

I've seen these threads before and know there's a lot of guys or gals who have more knowledge of what's out there than I do.

Criteria
3" to 3 1/4"
Thinking s30v or s35vn but open to anything resiliant as long as it will hold an edge well.
Sub $150
no flipper/assist

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh... just replacing a delica? Try a pm2! They can be had for $100 all day on the Exchange with s30v.

Edit: of course the blade is a little bigger!
Maybe a pm3 in m390 for $155! Little hotspot with the clip with my hand though... still a decent working knife.

Caly3 in zdp and cf also a fantastic knife

Last edited:
Maybe cold steel american lawman, the blade is 3.5 but the cutting edge is shorter than that. Should hold up to a bit of abuse.

I’m not a Boker fan but I own a few good ones. The one that fits the bill exactly is the Boker plus Vox F3. Amazing little knife, I have the CF S35 it fits the bill of gentleman’s knife and hard user. Another one is the Spyderco Domino. It is one of my top five knives out of 80. A little longer than you wanted but you won’t regret it. You can find them on the secondary market for $150 all day Long. There are more to fit your requirements but these are two of the best.

It's a little longer than your 3 1/4" criteria but a Spyderco Gayle Bradley 1 ( 3 1/2") would be a great hard use knife. M4 steel and the build quality is one impressive. It's been replace by the GB 2 but can be found on the secondary market for well withing your budget.

Spyderco Yojimbo2 w/ S30V for $136
Spyderco Manix2 G10 w/ S30V for $110 , w/ S110V for $152.

All good stuff.

Chippa Chippa
Before we get too many suggestions, what exactly do you do with the knife?

S90V would be knife, if you want wear resistance, but not as much toughness as M4.

Chippa Chippa
Before we get too many suggestions, what exactly do you do with the knife?

S90V would be knife, if you want wear resistance, but not as much toughness as M4.

Yeah I really wasn't expecting all these so quck I really appreciate everyone's response. I'm in construction so it's anything and everything. I don't baton or anything but will poke prod use over a utility blade. After work its still on me for every day use.

Yeah I really wasn't expecting all these so quck I really appreciate everyone's response. I'm in construction so it's anything and everything. I don't baton or anything but will poke prod use over a utility blade. After work its still on me for every day use.
Can you carry a fixed blade in your state?

A Busse Rodent Solution sounds like, well, the solution. As does an Active Duty or a Trail Scalpel.

I have in the past but really would rather something in pocket, I have a pouch on me most of the day already

If you loved your Delica I think the PM2 is the next logical step. It's a benchmark for many, many people here and there's a reason for that. There's a whole lot of sprint runs out there that can be had(some are over budget though), but I think a standard PM2 is solid bet, the S35VN model would be even better. Especially if you like the color of scales(which I do!).

My foremost suggestion is the Spyderco Native. It fits all of your criteria and is available in multiple configurations. It's a purpose-built work knife that fits well in the hand and has a blade shape that is suited for the vast majority of potential tasks.

The Benchmade Bugout is in a similar size and price range, and uses a very glove-friendly lock mechanism.

I pocket carry a fixed blade every day. Just go with a reputable kydex bender, and an appropriately sized/proportioned knife.
I have in the past but really would rather something in pocket, I have a pouch on me most of the day already

Criteria
3" to 3 1/4"
Thinking s30v or s35vn but open to anything resiliant as long as it will hold an edge well.
Sub $150
no flipper/assist
A man after my own heart haha. I have too many recommendations in that range, so let me give you the quick and dirty.
Native 5/Manix 2
Pm2/3
Freek/Bugout
American Lawman
40% of Kizer’s lineup
And if you’re itching for a delica 4, get yourself some s30v or zdp189
And the lovely thing is, this is only the tip of the iceberg

What about a Spyderco Mantra with a bearing to PB washer swap?

For poking/prodding I think fixed is how I would go. Plenty of pocketable neck knives and others around. Just me.

Back