Recommendations for 2-3” fixed

Hey everyone, so I’m new to posting within the forums, I’ve used them for research in the past and found excessive amounts of information; therefore, I’m back with a question of my own now.
First off, for work I am a Power/Battery Technition for cell phone towers, work at essentially ground floor and work entails a lot of; cutting/breaking down boxes, plastic wrap, zip ties/industrial bands and some other menial tasks, the only major thiing would be stripping cable gauges 1/0, 2/0, or #1/#2. Most cable stripping or cutting will be done with a power knife(small 1095 knife with rubber end incase or shorting)/loppers. Otherwise it’ll be utilized this fixed blade as an everyday carry.

Now I’ve had several knives over time, but I’m looking to understand more of the blade composition/edge retention.
For the longest time I ran my benchmade minigriptillian(154cm) which is a fabulous little folder, but after finding a few things out about the company I’ve decided to go another route an not carry anything benchmade.
9079-E1-CF-3-D9-A-4-FCE-9-B10-62-DC859-CC02-E.jpg

Presently I’ve been carrying a Bradford Guardian3 in m390 with a kydex sheeth, and I absolutely love it. BUT I live in CA and the knife laws are very difficult, especially for fixed blades.
So my question here is, I’m looking for a Bradford guardian like 2. I know it’s not made, but I’m looking for exactly what I have but a touch smaller by like an inch.
Examples include, Benchmades Hunter Canyon fixed, and I absolutely love the Dawson Knives Field Guide, but for $170 I’d like the blade made out of something a tad nicer that 52100,

EDIT** I again have no experience with 52100 so please educate me.. also I love the knife but on their website only list it in an ugly camo finish, I like a straight black/powder coating.

Unless how does 52100 compare with m390, I can’t find much on a comparison other than 52100 vs m4, of which I have never used either.
My big things, need a blade that can hold an edge and doesn’t corrode super easy. I clean my tools often, but would like something that could withstand some water, dirt, shaving paint off metal etc.

Now that I have typed an essay and some of you have taken the time to read the entire thing, I’d like to say;
Thank you for your time in advance,
Kelly Brown.

EDIT* ca law says it can’t be concealed, and id also prefer USA made.

Last edited:
I always recommend the white river backpacker or caper. I have the backpacker. I think you can get one in s30v or s35vn depending where you purchase.

Im sure others will come along with different suggestions.

Hey everyone, so I’m new to posting within the forums, I’ve used them for research in the past and found excessive amounts of information; therefore, I’m back with a question of my own now.
First off, for work I am a Power/Battery Technition for cell phone towers, work at essentially ground floor and work entails a lot of; cutting/breaking down boxes, plastic wrap, zip ties/industrial bands and some other menial tasks, the only major thiing would be stripping cable gauges 1/0, 2/0, or #1/#2. Most cable stripping or cutting will be done with a power knife(small 1095 knife with rubber end incase or shorting)/loppers. Otherwise it’ll be utilized this fixed blade as an everyday carry.

Now I’ve had several knives over time, but I’m looking to understand more of the blade composition/edge retention.
For the longest time I ran my benchmade minigriptillian(154cm) which is a fabulous little folder, but after finding a few things out about the company I’ve decided to go another route an not carry anything benchmade.
9079-E1-CF-3-D9-A-4-FCE-9-B10-62-DC859-CC02-E.jpg

Presently I’ve been carrying a Bradford Guardian3 in m390 with a kydex sheeth, and I absolutely love it. BUT I live in CA and the knife laws are very difficult, especially for fixed blades.
So my question here is, I’m looking for a Bradford guardian like 2. I know it’s not made, but I’m looking for exactly what I have but a touch smaller by like an inch.
Examples include, Benchmades Hunter Canyon fixed, and I absolutely love the Dawson Knives Field Guide, but for $170 I’d like the blade made out of something a tad nicer that 52100.
Unless how does 52100 compare with m390, I can’t find much on a comparison other than 52100 vs m4, of which I have never used either.
My big things, need a blade that can hold an edge and doesn’t corrode super easy. I clean my tools often, but would like something that could withstand some water, dirt, shaving paint off metal etc.

Now that I have typed an essay and some of you have taken the time to read the entire thing, I’d like to say;
Thank you for your time in advance,
Kelly Brown.
Putting aside the irony of not wanting to carry a benchmade, yet living in one of the most anti-2a states, what exactly are your blade restrictions? That information would help. Doesn't any fixed blade need to be open carry? How are you carrying the g3? Can you carry a fixed blade for work without breaking the law, if concealed? Why do you need just a 2" blade?

More info.

I think you can get one in s30v or s35vn depending where you purchase.
So my big question would be, what are the benefits of s30v vs s35vn vs say n690 vs m390

Putting aside the irony of not wanting to carry a benchmade
May be ironic, but my personal opinion is I’d rather not continue spending money on another product from them, not purchasing a new knife because of this, was looking for a new knife and found out some stuff that has turned me away from them.
Also, my apologies for not expanding on the restrictions, atm the picture is the actual knife I’m thinking of. Carrying in their kydex sheeth on a belt or pocket edge, presently it’s my fathers he’s let me borrow. Law restrictions are strange and I’ve heard multiple things, neighbor is a 20year ex sheriff in the county sons active etc etc, the only thing they say is that as long as it is not concealed it is ok and obviously no double edge blades. I really like my dads guardian3, but looking for something maybe a touch smaller that I can get a little more control with on smaller items.

Last edited:
Also looking for something a touch smaller because the guardian 3 is “intimidating” in the California public, absolutely ridiculous yes, I’ve carried this for around a week and have gotten more than a few undesirable looks with it on my belt.

So my big question would be, what are the benefits of s30v vs s35vn vs say n690 vs m390

May be ironic, but my personal opinion is I’d rather not continue spending money on another product from them, not purchasing a new knife because of this, was looking for a new knife and found out some stuff that has turned me away from them.
Also, my apologies for not expanding on the restrictions, atm the picture is the actual knife I’m thinking of. Carrying in their kydex sheeth on a belt or pocket edge, presently it’s my fathers he’s let me borrow. Law restrictions are strange and I’ve heard multiple things, neighbor is a 20year ex sheriff in the county sons active etc etc, the one consistent thing I hear is that as long as it is not concealed it is ok and obviously no double edge blades. I really like my dads guardian3, but looking for something maybe a touch smaller that I can get a little more control with on smaller items.
Sounds to me like you need to find exactly what your local laws are, and follow them. Next, if the social stigma of carrying a small fixed blade is going to lose you work opportunities, consider something else (or moving). Otherwise, carry whatever you want if legal. If legal, who cares what people who aren't paying you care what tools you use for your trade.

I've got a g3 and consider it a bit small. The other smaller fixed blades I have are the spartan enyo and an Esee izula. Both are cord wraps. Good knives, but like the g3 a bit small. I prefer at least 4" fixed blade as an edc. Have you thought about an esee candiru?

Look to Frankie over at Tactical Pterodactyl Knives out of South Carolina, look up Tactical Pterodactyl on IG. His Mid-size models($250ish) are generally just under 3” and minis($170ish) are like a bit over 2”. He uses a variety of tool and stainless steels just ask. I have owned 4 or 5 and his knives are great small edc fixed knives.

How about something like the Bark River Knives PSK? I doubt anyone will find that one threatening, even in CA.

Then again, I did have a receptionist in an office building in Chicago back slightly away asking "why do you need that weapon?" about my tiny Olamic Busker when I opened it to cut the threaded packing tape on a computer box, so everything is relative. Out in the country nobody would blink at a G3, but maybe there are places that a PSK would still look like a deadly ninja sword . . .

I also have a Perrin Le Bowie neck knife (minimal thing, no handle slabs) that is in that size range that I quite like. It's IMO more "scary" looking that the PSK, though, and doesn't come in fancy super steel options, just 12c27 or damascus.

I've been carrying an Arno Bernard Meerkat some, and despite it's diminutive size it's surprisingly effective in use. I'd call it a three and a half finger grip, assuming you have average size hands, but even still it works great. They're harder to find than the above-mentioned PSK or Le Bowie necker, though.

So my big question for you guys is what’s the benefits of 52100 over say, n690 or m390 or even say cmp154?

So my big question for you guys is what’s the benefits of 52100 over say, n690 or m390 or even say cmp154?

I guess it's a matter of your preferences for capabilities. For a small fixed blade I'd put the requirements in this order, personally, because I don't mind sharpening and toughness doesn't come into play much at all for a small fixed blade:

corrosion resistance -> wear resistance -> toughness

I don't have any experience with 52100, but I'd expect it to do poorly at corrosion resistance compared to the stainless steels you mentioned, and probably do great at edge retention.

IMO, something like N690 is great for a small fixed blade. M390 is always a great option, but if I could get the same small fixed blade in N690 or M390 at double the price, I'd get the N690 version myself.

Have a look at DPX GEAR. They have 3', 4' blades in niolox. Solid knives.

I am familiar with 52100 and would NOT suggest it for an EDC knife, even a coated one because the uncoated edge will patina and rust if you don't stay on top of it. I have a handmade Japanese-style 210mm Gyuto in 52100, while it's an awesome cutlery knife and razor sharp it patinas when you breathe on it...It's a high maintenance tool/carbon steel, when I store it I cover the whole blade w/a thin coat of Japanese food-safe oil.

The benefits of 52100 over those other stainless steels you note is sharpness, 52100 can very easily be sharpened to a toothy scary sharp edge.

If I bought the Schenk PIKA in a coated 52100 blade I'm pretty confident I'd be stropping it every evening I EDCed it just to get the day's patina off the edge, then apply a thin coat of oil and put it to bed...And I don't want to do that with an EDC knife...

Last edited:
If legal, who cares what people who aren't paying you care what tools you use for your trade.
Law states that as long as it is not concealed it is legal, it isn’t loosing me job opportunities, the only reason I’m phrasing it that way is because the law states one thing but officers in this great state don’t always follow this, I have a few friends who’ve been booked on felonies for 4in folders, charges were dissmissed but it was still an ordeal that they had to deal with.
I’m just meaning I personally prefer someone that looks a little more basic and less “sinister” in the eyes of the public, something around 2-3in in size with a good blade. That’s just what I like to work with in my present line of work. This is more of an edc knife that is here and there used for work.
Again, All I’m looking for is recommendations on a 2-3in fixed blade, essentially identical to a g3 handle/look but smaller blade.

EDIT** I have looked at the esse’s.. now I’m no professional at sharpening but pretty good, and been practicing with other knives, now how is the blade on these? Ive heard they’re great starter knives and easy to sharpen.. essentially the g3 with more blade length options, but how’s the material hold up over time with medium wear/usage?

Last edited:
Another option, Abraham and Moses, a subsidiary of Geissele, has introduced a couple small USA made fixed blade knives that fit the OP's characteristics of 3" or under blade length, specifically their AM-3 in D2 steel, https://abeandmoe.com/am-3-knife-with-leather-sheath-right-handed.html

It's a lot of knife for the price and their leather sheath is Randall Made stacked leather quality, I own A&B's Bushcraft oriented AM-1 w/a leather sheath...

dUfP69c.jpg

The White River M1 Caper might be a really close match with a 3" blade and the Richlite scales.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/WT...washed-blackred-richlite-handles-kydex-sheath

I have two EDC fixed blades under 3". The TM Hunt Hedgehog ( on the right ) is probably worth a look, especially with Micarta scales.

https://www.knifecenter.com/item/TM...ed-blade-green-micarta-handles-leather-sheath

View attachment 1090788

What's the one on the LEFT? I like that one :thumbsup:

Back