Recommendation? Recommendations for a high end folder

I was thinking rather seriously about buying my first CRK and visited a local dealer to check them out. I ended up not buying one. I have finally admitted that I like fidgeting with my knives, and they just don't have the fiddle factor. If that's not a thing for you, then I have to say they are damn nice knives, and the sort that you don't have to worry about putting to hard use, they'll definitely take it.
FWIW, CRKs are easily tuned to flick out easily without compromising their inherent smoothness. I fidget flick mine regularly, just don't tell Chris. :rolleyes:

I love that thread! :) and I defidentlty wouldn't be afraid to use a $500 knife all I do is cut down the occasional cardboard box. I also am looking at this more on a collecting level as opposed to a user level as I have plenty of users that satisfy my needs.

Oh btw if you want to have something abit more unique that is still a great user knife check out the Hinderer Firetac. It is made to be slimmer than the other Hinderers. Or if you like the XM18 you could check out the XM18 skinny. Of these two though the shape of the firetac makes it easier to pocket.

I love Hinderers of all types I just find that most of them are too thick to edc without feeling like you have a titanium boat anchor in your pocket. Some people like this but I find it sort of annoying after a while. Since it will be a knife you will carry I would strongly consider how well the knife pockets as a pocket knife spends 99% of the day in your pocket.

Hinderer Firetac. These come in various grinds with the Spanto being more prybarlike and the slicer being a better slicer, the spearpoint is somewhere in the middle. I think a Hinderer firetac slicer grind is an ideal grail knife.

(Does anyone know what type of rounds are in that magazine? Some type of training round?)
RHK1557-2.jpg

RHK1558-6.jpg

You can switch the clip to tip up as well.

Last edited:
Hi!
I own a few higher-end knives including the CRK's and I would definitely recommend buying one. My Chris Reeve Sebenza 21 with Macassar Ebony wood inlays is the most complimented knife in my collection. It really is a beauty, everything about it is perfect!

Another option I would recommend is the Benchmade 940-1. The 940-1 is so fun to flick open and closed all day long it's my favorite knife in my collection because the carbon fiber looks and feels awesome, it's light, very thin which makes it easy to carry, has a great blade and has great customer service.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img921/1209/strsxs.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img923/6974/QZ6QKi.jpg

Here's a random photo of some I've collected over the years. These are all favorites of mine. I like having a variety of different stuff.

6wriSJY.jpg

In that photo:
Tashi Rowdy HiTech
Ferrum Forge Masterblaster
ADV Pocket Butcher
Benchmade 51
Strider SnG
Spyderco Tusk
Hinderer XM-18 3.5
Microtech Stitch
Spartan Harsey
CRK Small 21 Insingo

I could easily add the Medford Smooth Criminal, Zieba S3, Strider SMF, Olamic Busker, Spartan Pallas, and TRM Machine to that list as well.
Did the Spartan come with those scales?

Reate :)

I have the Kirby Lambert Crossroads, the Brian Nadeau Evo Typhoon, and the Tashi Bharucha Baby Machine. Phenomenal knives, there aren't enough superlatives to describe them.

Reate :)

I have the Kirby Lambert Crossroads, the Brian Nadeau Evo Typhoon, and the Tashi Bharucha Baby Machine. Phenomenal knives, there aren't enough superlatives to describe them.
You wouldn't have to describe them if you post pictures....hint hint

Normally my first reaction is to say a CRK and I say a Sebenza 21 to start is a great place ... well now they are making the 31 and I like my Umnumzaan and Inkosi so a CRK of your preference ...

But ... when Hinderer released the new Gen 6s with the tri-way pivot ... I really like them ... I always liked Hinderer XM-18s anyway ... but it was hit or miss on detents on the older 3.5" XM-18s ...

also Hinderer's Half Track is a great knife ... if you prefer a larger knife the Full Track ... both something to consider ...

So I would have a hard time to recommend one over the other without knowing your preferences and needs or uses ... but any of those are really nice knives.

I like the Southern Grind Spider Monkey.

The steel is done right, the ergos are superb, and the carbon fiber they use is truly beautiful stuff.

It's really easy to carry, and it falls in the affordable end of your range.

Pick one up from Whitty over at USA Made Blade. He has a bunch of other cool stuff too.

I would recommend anything CRK. The Umnumzaan is my favorite.
With all the CRK recommendations, I hadn't thought of the 'Zaan, but BMC is right--it's a great knife. Take that one step further, and think about the Wilson Combat version--The StarTac. I love the fluted Ti Starburst signature WC scales and have that one plus a large 25 StarBenza.

jkMnXlo.jpg

Sebenza 31, skinny slicer 3.5, neon zero, koenig arius (if blade shape interests you).

Spydiechef is also a very compelling option for around 215usd

There are almost endless great options at that price point. As I think about my experience in the same situation in hindsight, I'm glad I started with a large Sebenza 21. It's a "can't go wrong" type of knife with fantastic build quality, great customer service, easy resale, and it's a totally usable tool. It also is often used as the benchmark to judge other higher end production folders, so it will give you a lot of context and reference points as you continue the journey. It's also very easy to break down and service yourself which I find to be a huge plus. I have other knives in that price range today that I greatly enjoy, but starting with the 21 probably led me to be more selective about what I liked which led me to also try some other makers. Maybe try to envision what you really want out of the knife? You can flip a Sebenza 21 for sure, but if you really want the fidget factor and action of a knife on bearings, a Sebenza on washers may not scratch that itch and vice versa if you want a bulletproof knife with all the CRK extras, that my be more important to you than the action. And I will lob in another plus vote on the Umnumzaan. I have multiple CRK knives, but I bet I use the 'Zaan the most at this point. The Sebenza 31 is available for order now so consider that as well. I have no experience with the 31, and am totally elated with my 21s, so I'm in wait and see mode on that. At the end of the day, I have never heard anyone say, "I really regret buying a large Sebenza." Hope this helps and have fun getting a great knife which is always exciting!

Im in the same boat as the OP and have been looking at small sebenza 21 (would like a large more but $$) and looking at CKF also. It will most likely be one (or both)! Wish i had somewhere to handle them first so will be buying from the exchange when im ready and recommend doing the same. This forum is a great resource of owners and users which is very helpful in deciding.

Back