Recommendation? Recommendations for a high end folder

You wouldn't have to describe them if you post pictures....hint hint
Reate :)

I have the Kirby Lambert Crossroads, the Brian Nadeau Evo Typhoon, and the Tashi Bharucha Baby Machine. Phenomenal knives, there aren't enough superlatives to describe them.
If the OP wanted to stretch the budget to that of a base Koenig Arius, it’s worth it. Otherwise I completely agree regarding the Evo Typhoon. I haven’t come across any other knife I prefer for <$500. It’s not easy to come by, although I could see another run of them being made someday. The design has a variety of well considered little touches. Great functional and slicer blade. Really comfortable handle with rounded contours everywhere. Outstanding clip. Held together only by the pivot, which is captured although it looks free-spinning, and the clip screw. Well executed by Reate. Each one checked by Brian before shipping. And I can tell you he stands by them personally, as far as service. Not everyone loves the flipper tab, but for me it’s perfect — comfortable to use and no jimping needed.

The Spyderco Slysz Bowie is about as good as you can get...nearly equal to the large Sebbie...but better steel.

Im in the same boat as the OP and have been looking at small sebenza 21 (would like a large more but $$) and looking at CKF also. It will most likely be one (or both)! Wish i had somewhere to handle them first so will be buying from the exchange when im ready and recommend doing the same. This forum is a great resource of owners and users which is very helpful in deciding.

Oh man, do NOT buy the small because it's a couple of bux cheaper. Buy the one that fits your hand. I can NOT hold onto a small at all. When I slide the knife forward to depress the lockbar, the knife falls out of my hand....I've had at least 30 sebbies in both sizes, so I know what fits me. I only used to buy the small because the wood inlays seemed to be more attractive in the smaller sized knife.

Oh man, do NOT buy the small because it's a couple of bux cheaper. Buy the one that fits your hand. I can NOT hold onto a small at all. When I slide the knife forward to depress the lockbar, the knife falls out of my hand....I've had at least 30 sebbies in both sizes, so I know what fits me. I only used to buy the small because the wood inlays seemed to be more attractive in the smaller sized knife.

Im gonna have to find somewhere locally to try the small and large in hand. I have medium-large hands.

Edit: looking at the CRK site looks like there is 2 authorized dealers in the Houston area (close) so looks like im gonna be taking a drive to go handle in person very soon.

Edit: looks like only one dealer stocks CRK and only has larges. You would think a city as big as Houston would have more options...

Last edited:
Im gonna have to find somewhere locally to try the small and large in hand. I have medium-large hands.

This is my major gripe about CRK and imho kind of a d move on their part.

There is no Medium Sebenza which would be the ideal size for so many people.

The small Sebenza is quite a small knife and is a great small knife. I am lucky in that I can just barely get a 4 finger grip on it. It manages to fit alot of blade in this small package.

The Large Sebenza is just that, a big knife. While it is not a huge knife compared to some others it is still quite a large knife. Luckily the Sebenza is quite slim and compact so fairly comfortable to pocket.

But a medium sebenza would be just perfect in my biased opinion.

I moved up and price as well, both Reate manufactured.
The Torrent and Evo typhoon, noticeably nicer finish and actions.
Very hard to beat FF/MD, WE, Bestech for value and quality in the 150-300 range.

Hi everyone!

So for a while now I've been in that $100-$250 price range with my knife collecting and I'm currently saving my money to start stepping into that $250-$500 range.

I've had my eyes on a couple, such as the Chris reeve small inkosi and sebenza, as well as the olamic busker.

I don't have much for preferences right now outside of being in that $250 to $500 price range.
Just curious to hear (or see) what your favorites in that price range are. Hoping to maybe flush out a hidden gem that was not on my radar. :)

Thx,
Workingsloth777

I just scored a Sarsaparilla Knife and Tool model 1, it's a little different but it's awesome in person. They still have blue curly maple and a few micarta options left from the first run on DLT and Old Towne Cutlery. They range from $380-$480.
cYFcDZj.jpg

Hi everyone!

So for a while now I've been in that $100-$250 price range with my knife collecting and I'm currently saving my money to start stepping into that $250-$500 range.

I've had my eyes on a couple, such as the Chris reeve small inkosi and sebenza, as well as the olamic busker.

I don't have much for preferences right now outside of being in that $250 to $500 price range.
Just curious to hear (or see) what your favorites in that price range are. Hoping to maybe flush out a hidden gem that was not on my radar. :)

Thx,
Workingsloth777
You did not say what use you want the knife for or what weight and size you prefer. Don’t even know if you want a flipper, thumbstud, auto, etc.. Makes it very difficult to recommend a knife because there are many great knives out there in you price range from small and light to big and heavy. Why don’t you give us some more information to go by before I list about 50 knives.

I really don't have any specific preferences as I said above. I am just looking to step into that $250-$500 price range and was curious to see what was recommended.
If I knew exactly what kind of knife I wanted right down to the size and weight I wouldn't have started this thread. The point of it was to find something that might not have Been on my radar already.
As far as use.... I'm a collector that occassionally cuts open packages, so that leaves me pretty open to anything. I think at this point though I'm going to go ahead and get the small sebenza (or inkosi), I don't think I will be disappointed there.

With all the CRK recommendations, I hadn't thought of the 'Zaan, but BMC is right--it's a great knife. Take that one step further, and think about the Wilson Combat version--The StarTac. I love the fluted Ti Starburst signature WC scales and have that one plus a large 25 StarBenza.

jkMnXlo.jpg
The StarTac is on my bucket list.:):thumbsup:

Back