1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Recommendation? Recommendations for a high end folder

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Workingsloth777, Jul 17, 2019.

1. JimMD

JimMD Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 6, 2017
    If the OP wanted to stretch the budget to that of a base Koenig Arius, it’s worth it. Otherwise I completely agree regarding the Evo Typhoon. I haven’t come across any other knife I prefer for <$500. It’s not easy to come by, although I could see another run of them being made someday. The design has a variety of well considered little touches. Great functional and slicer blade. Really comfortable handle with rounded contours everywhere. Outstanding clip. Held together only by the pivot, which is captured although it looks free-spinning, and the clip screw. Well executed by Reate. Each one checked by Brian before shipping. And I can tell you he stands by them personally, as far as service. Not everyone loves the flipper tab, but for me it’s perfect — comfortable to use and no jimping needed.

2. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    The Spyderco Slysz Bowie is about as good as you can get...nearly equal to the large Sebbie...but better steel.

3. Sonnydaze

Sonnydaze Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Oh man, do NOT buy the small because it's a couple of bux cheaper. Buy the one that fits your hand. I can NOT hold onto a small at all. When I slide the knife forward to depress the lockbar, the knife falls out of my hand....I've had at least 30 sebbies in both sizes, so I know what fits me. I only used to buy the small because the wood inlays seemed to be more attractive in the smaller sized knife.

unwisefool likes this.
  4. Edgeoflife

Edgeoflife Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 11, 2018
    Im gonna have to find somewhere locally to try the small and large in hand. I have medium-large hands.

Edit: looking at the CRK site looks like there is 2 authorized dealers in the Houston area (close) so looks like im gonna be taking a drive to go handle in person very soon.

Edit: looks like only one dealer stocks CRK and only has larges. You would think a city as big as Houston would have more options...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  5. unwisefool

unwisefool Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Also check out the gamma midtech by valence knives.

6. Lapedog

Lapedog

Dec 7, 2016
    This is my major gripe about CRK and imho kind of a d move on their part.

There is no Medium Sebenza which would be the ideal size for so many people.

The small Sebenza is quite a small knife and is a great small knife. I am lucky in that I can just barely get a 4 finger grip on it. It manages to fit alot of blade in this small package.

The Large Sebenza is just that, a big knife. While it is not a huge knife compared to some others it is still quite a large knife. Luckily the Sebenza is quite slim and compact so fairly comfortable to pocket.

But a medium sebenza would be just perfect in my biased opinion.

Cscotttsss, unwisefool and Edgeoflife like this.
  7. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    I moved up and price as well, both Reate manufactured.
    The Torrent and Evo typhoon, noticeably nicer finish and actions.
    Very hard to beat FF/MD, WE, Bestech for value and quality in the 150-300 range.

8. NVWolfpack

NVWolfpack

Aug 3, 2018

I just scored a Sarsaparilla Knife and Tool model 1, it's a little different but it's awesome in person. They still have blue curly maple and a few micarta options left from the first run on DLT and Old Towne Cutlery. They range from $380-$480.[​IMG]

Lapedog likes this.
  9. blades&wrenches

blades&wrenches Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 11, 2014
    Les George midtechs are some of my favorites in that range. Made simple, made well, and made to work. Can be difficult to find though.

VECP V3
    [​IMG]

Monkey Edge frag pattern Talos
    [​IMG]

Workingsloth777 and Lapedog like this.
  10. VinnyFL

VinnyFL Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2017
    You did not say what use you want the knife for or what weight and size you prefer. Don’t even know if you want a flipper, thumbstud, auto, etc.. Makes it very difficult to recommend a knife because there are many great knives out there in you price range from small and light to big and heavy. Why don’t you give us some more information to go by before I list about 50 knives.

11. Workingsloth777

Workingsloth777 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 10, 2019
    I really don't have any specific preferences as I said above. I am just looking to step into that $250-$500 price range and was curious to see what was recommended.
    If I knew exactly what kind of knife I wanted right down to the size and weight I wouldn't have started this thread. The point of it was to find something that might not have Been on my radar already.
    As far as use.... I'm a collector that occassionally cuts open packages, so that leaves me pretty open to anything. I think at this point though I'm going to go ahead and get the small sebenza (or inkosi), I don't think I will be disappointed there.

12. skyhorse

skyhorse Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2010
    The StarTac is on my bucket list.:):thumbsup:

13. Eli Chaps

Eli Chaps Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 20, 2018