Recommendation? Recon 1 Clip Point finish removal

MTHall720

Gold Member
May sound goofy but I just don't like the black finish. Don't currently own one but someday would like to if I can figure out an easy, sure way to take off the black and end up with a bright satin finish. Has anyone tried that?

Ive seen people use wire wheels to remover the DLC. Another option is buying a satin version, I think some are still available from a Canadian knife retailer.

They were made exclusively for this particular Canadian knife retailer. I have two satin clip points, and really want to add a satin spear point. They are great knives.

The DLC can also be sanded off by hand. I've done it. I forget what grit I started at. Maybe 150 or 80. Use a sanding block and Windex. If you don't have experience with hand sanding you might not end up with a great finish.

Go to to Cold Steel web page and find the satin finish Recon1 listed in the products. Slightly more expensive but still a great knife.
Black coated knife blades used to be a deal breaker for me until I first got an American Lawman, and then a Recon1. They are such great knives, I ve changed my mind about black blades, and now use them without a thought. I don t think observers pay any attention to my black blades either.

Back