Recon 1 in Australia

I’m thinking of buying a recon 1 as my first knife and I was wondering whether it was legal to own in Australia as I have seen people in reviews on YouTube flicking the blade out. After reading the ABF importation laws on knives, I found that flick knives are illegal so I was wondering whether or not the recon 1 is a flick knife given that people are able to deploy it by a mere wrist flick. Sorry if I sound uneducated too, I’m kinda new to knives as well as the forum as this is my first day.
Thanks for the help guys and gals.

Google the prohibited weapons list for your state.
Even in nanny state Vic you can import, posess and carry(with a legitimate purpose) flippers and one handers.
The only restrictions are assissted , autos, and balisongs, Daggers and Swords.
Importing still sucks because Customs are muppets, they once seized a Queen slipjoint! I got it back when I explained it did not lock did require two hands and had never at any point been illegal, but still a hassle.
Just buy off a dealer here.

No problem importing a Recon 1 into Australia. Check local dealers first. Not sure if I can name them here but the largest Cold Steel dealer in Queensland sells at prices that are competitive with private imports once you factor in exchange rates and postage.
If you import anything at the moment don’t use USPS. Tracking info is hopeless and you may wait months for delivery. FedEx is quick but costs.

I actually have a recon 1 (Tanto, half serrated) in CTS XHP that I'm looking to sell. I'm based in VIC if you're interested? Will give you a good price as I'm looking to get rid of it.

Owning, receiving and carry are going to vary by state. The laws on import did change in about 2018 or so, so a lot more is available to own, however make sure you understand the letter of the law in your state for what constitutes a "lawful excuse" I'm tempted to start wearing a kilt so I can carry a sgian-dubh.... :D but in reality, knowing that you can carry a Swiss army knife without reason in QLD or having fishing gear with you, stuff like that to keep you from talking yourself into trouble.
To be honest, unless I'm buying used, I pretty much let an importer take care of it, just because the prices work out about the same, and many companies run their warranty via the importer. (And some of the importers did assist in getting the laws reworked) Or I at the very least ensure that pretty much every retailer in the country is stocking that model.
And yeah, if you are in the habit of buying anything, you know what mess international shipping is right now.

Back