Recon 1 Play

I own a Recon 1 in XHP with a spear point. It has some vertical play (not enough to impact use). This is more of a curiosity to me, though. Sometimes when I open the blade (typically with more authority) the play seems to be worse. When I do a very slow controlled open, the play nearly disappears. When I say slow, I mean slow. No manufacturer could reasonably expect me to open a knife as slow as I have to open the Recon to create a play-free environment. Again, I am not worried about failure; more than anything, I am curious as to why there is sometimes play and sometimes no play. Also, I do hear rattling in the handle when the blade is open. I am told this is the stop pin. Could the pin be rotating and causing the difference? Thanks!

I’ve only noticed a very small amount of vertical play in recon 1s when opened softly. Opening them harder has always resulted in zero play. I’m wondering if you just need to cycle it a bit to break it in.

Sometimes this happens. I've had a couple recon 1s with vertical play. The lock bar isn't interfacing with the lock cutout properly. There is nothing you can do about it other than hope it wears in over time or send it in for replacement, unless you are running all of the screws very loose.

As you noted, it doesn't necessarily make the lock unsafe, but it isn't optimal.

All screws are right. I had heard this was a common cause of play in the triad lock, so I tightened them all up a while back. I’ve had the knife for two or so years, so it’s definitely broken in. If the internal stop pin is peened (not sure if it’s possible on this lock), then wear probably won’t solve it, right?

If you’ve used it for two years and it hasn’t changed, then I might send it in to cold steel; mostly because I have read an instance of them wanting back a triad locked knife that had blade play.

The 8 CS triad locks I use do not exhibit play, and I’m sure you know that having no play is inherent in the design.

Last edited:
All screws are right. I had heard this was a common cause of play in the triad lock, so I tightened them all up a while back. I’ve had the knife for two or so years, so it’s definitely broken in. If the internal stop pin is peened (not sure if it’s possible on this lock), then wear probably won’t solve it, right?

The screws won't make any difference unless they're really loose. It sounds like yours is like both of the ones I had. If it bothers you, I would send it in. The lock doesn't fit correctly.

I’ve only noticed a very small amount of vertical play in recon 1s when opened softly. Opening them harder has always resulted in zero play.

This has been my experience with Tri-Ads as well...in theory a hard opening is likely to seat the lock bar deeper into the notch. Seems odd that OP is seeing the opposite. Maybe the lockbar is actually "bouncing" when opening hard and therefore not seating as deep?

This has been my experience with Tri-Ads as well...in theory a hard opening is likely to seat the lock bar deeper into the notch. Seems odd that OP is seeing the opposite. Maybe the lockbar is actually "bouncing" when opening hard and therefore not seating as deep?
That’s something I also considered. I think I’ll send it in. If they’re interested in an example then perhaps they’ll appreciate that I sent it in.

The rattling pin is pretty common with Cold Steel. Rattling when open indicates it's the pin that stops the blade when shut. Rattling when closed is usually the stop pin.
Open up the knife. Pack the pin with a bit of grease. Also remove the stop pin. When you put it back together you might find the blade play is gone.

Back