Recommendation? Recon 1 Tanto vs. Voyager Tanto

If the Voyager had s35v steel, I would consider it equivalent to the Recon 1 in that steel. The handle material seems extremely strong. If may be slightly less strong than g10, but that s balanced by the lighter weight. But I think Griptilian handles are plenty strong. I don t remember if the Voyager has liners. I think it does.
Yep, I'd say the Voyager is actually just as strong as the Recons, they have good thickness heat treated aluminium liners nested inside those tough handles :thumbsup:

Midway , one of my favorite sources for CS knives, isn t on the list of sponsors posted above.
Hmm, I thought Midway was. I have a lot of good experiences with Knifecenter, BladeHQ, GP knives, and Knifeworks. Knifeworks typically has pretty good prices, while the others have a little higher prices, but good periodic sales. My fav Cold Steel source is not on the list either, but it is a big sports dealer that does not specialize in knives.

Another advantage of ordering from one of the forum sponsored dealers, is that many offer "notes" in the checkout procedure that allow the customer to ask the dealer to inspect the knife for QC before they ship it out (at least one sponsered dealer does not do this). I usually write to check for blade centering, no up and down play on lockup, etc. I, too, was burned by an Amazon purchase (although some were fine).

Just an update. Bought a XL Recon 1 on EBay for an exceptional price. It looks legit, but we will see when it arrives.

Thank you to everyone for your help! Excited!

Looks legit! Been working with the knife for over a week and it is solid.

No blade play. Very smooth load/reload. Weight is 8.3 oz. and the print detail looks sharp and accurate.

Very impressed with the design and aesthetics.

Thank you to the community for all of the great help!

I probably have all the XL's, or close to it. I prefer the big Vaq. for a city evening walk. And my XL Recon for outdoors/bush whacking, when going minimalist.

I guess I need to bite the bullet and get one of the xl voyagers. I've never owned a super huge monster bladed folder before.

I guess I need to bite the bullet and get one of the xl voyagers. I've never owned a super huge monster bladed folder before.

Do it. I just recently got my first XL voyager and have been carrying it for the last week or so. They seem like a real value to me. It's a really nice knife for the price. The XL Talwar is probably my favorite over the top mega folder so far and the Frenzy is the easiest to pocket carry, but I like this Voyager way more than I thought I would. Definitely going to pick up another blade style in the future.

Do it. I just recently got my first XL voyager and have been carrying it for the last week or so. They seem like a real value to me. It's a really nice knife for the price. The XL Talwar is probably my favorite over the top mega folder so far and the Frenzy is the easiest to pocket carry, but I like this Voyager way more than I thought I would. Definitely going to pick up another blade style in the future.
I really want a regular sized Talwar

I really want a regular sized Talwar

The smaller Talwar is great, one of my favorites. Not sure why the Talwar wasn't more popular. I can see where it could be a bad fit for larger hands. I usually wear a large in gloves and it's really comfortable for me, but it could be cramped if your hands are bigger.

Back