Recon 1 XHP vs S35VN, Clip vs Spear

Now I'm trying to choose what Recon 1 to buy. I heard that XHP has worse corrosion resistance than S35VN, but better durability and very easy straightening, on other hand it's pretty easy to get chips on S35VN, so you need to fully regrind it in that case. As to Clip point and Spear point, spear has better tip durability, but I don't really know in what clip is better other than it looks very cool to me. What you can say about these two steels in comparison, and blade shapes?

Also I'm going to use this knife for EDC, some tourism(wood planning, ropes cutting, can openings, etc.) and maybe self-defense, but only one time, because after it knife will be seized as subject of investigation, so the only requirement in this case is piercing power and overall toughness.

P.S. I know that knife with XHP is not produced any more, but I have place where I can buy it.

Last edited:
Not sure about the steel but a spear point will be stronger most of the time.

I have 6 recon 1s, 3 in XHP and 3 in S35VN. All the blade shapes. Both steels are great; the XHP seems a little less corrosion resistant but does sharpen really nicely. I haven’t experienced chipping with the S35vn.

Both the clip and spearpoint are great EDCs. I personally prefer the clip point overall due to the piercing ability and look.

Some people that were using knifes with this steel were saying that it's chipping pretty easy compared to XHP
Keyboard commandos?

I'd take their opinions for what they're worth.

I've had several knives in S30/S35 and haven't chipped any of them...

I'm what you'd call a hard user for sure, but I don't go trying to scrape the ridges off rebar or anything like that.

Best of luck in your search!

Get the spear point for the tip strength. As far as piercing, one shouldn t have any trouble piercing with the spear point.

Back