Recon Scout carbon V

Monofletch

Basic Member
I just found this Recon Scout in carbon V. It is new in the box!! I assume it’s an older model. It has great balance! I didn’t take the sheath out of the wrapper but it leather. Is there anything I need to know about this knife? Is it a keeper?

BDB4DAAA-495B-4FF5-9AF9-5F40B9416D31.jpeg A6489909-E4D0-40F5-905A-B103AA118B1A.jpeg

Looks fake. May want to send it to me for my collec...errrr I mean....inspection.... :) kidding.

Nice find. Definite keeper unless you need to fetch $300 quickly.

Nice! Basically just a shorter version of the Trail Master. With the leather sheath, that dates it to somewhere around 1998-2003. Can check out the TM History sticky for more info...the RS is covered too, at the end.

Nice! Basically just a shorter version of the Trail Master. With the leather sheath, that dates it to somewhere around 1998-2003. Can check out the TM History sticky for more info...the RS is covered too, at the end.
Correct, the leather sheath was 98-03. Probably the most desired sheath as well. Got lucky on this one! Hard to see though, is the coating bubbling or something up towards the tip or is it just the photo?

I’ll take better pics of the sheath when I get home.
That is grease or oil at the tip.

"Is it a keeper?"

It's a very good performing knife if that is what you mean, yes. Performance wise it will be pretty close to the O1 steel versions currently on the market. Tough, easy to sharpen, pretty good abrasion resistance for a carbon steel. The finish was pretty corrosion resistant and easier to care for than a non coated 1% carbon steel ( steel in the same class as Carbon V such as 1095, O1, 0170-6, etc.) When stored make sure there is nothing corrosive on the blade/edge and coat the edge with wax or even vaseline.

Joe

Not really that fast because of the coating. If you ever get scratches or other damage it will increase the ability to rust in those areas but overall other than the un coated edge it should resist rust at least as well as a stainless bladed knife.

Joe

Congrats, nice find!! It is a definite keeper. Carbon V and San Mai III are my favorite steels for the Trail Masters and Recon Scouts.

I've got two brand new Carbon V tantos, but no boxes. I've also got one of the $40 tantos, too. I wondered what the differences were, and this thread has been a great help. Thanks!

I'm sure there are others out there too. If they were so good, why did Cold Steel stop making them? I know the folks who made the steel went or of business, but couldn't other steel manufacturers have stepped up? What's the story?

I've got two brand new Carbon V tantos, but no boxes. I've also got one of the $40 tantos, too. I wondered what the differences were, and this thread has been a great help. Thanks!

I'm sure there are others out there too. If they were so good, why did Cold Steel stop making them? I know the folks who made the steel went or of business, but couldn't other steel manufacturers have stepped up? What's the story?

The story is that the steel was a proprietary steel that Camilus had, which combined with Cold Steel's proprietary heat treat, made Carbon V. When Camilus tanked the steel was no longer available. Carbon V has a much vaunted reputation for toughness and my blades with it are my favorite, most used fixed blade knives. Here's the Carbon V knife first issued to some Spec Ops troops in the first Gulf War, that eventually became the Recon Scout. Notice the subtle recurve in the blade.

PreReconScout.JPG

Last edited:
I think one of the best things about this knife is the handle. It is about perfect for my big hands. Add the rubbery texture and it’s a winner.

Thanks for bringing up the steel and heat treat Mike S.. I'm getting old so if I make a mistake somebody please step in.

Carbon V was indeed a Camillus made product in the old days. Cold Steel had Dan Maragni develop a heat treat for the steel using molten salt . It was like catching lightening in a bottle and everything was done right from the beginning. Back before the days of designer steels they got the best then available and used one of the best men around to develop it. Using the production techniques they did cost them more money than the usual gas oven production but the knives came out the other side less prone to stress fractures and imprecise temperature control grain imperfection problems from blank to blank.

It was so well thought of around the industry that when Camillus went under A.G.Russell bought up the left over steel and hired Dan Maragni to set up salt pots and replicate it as best as they could. That was/is the "sandbox" series. They are a lot more expensive than the Cold Steel knives sold for back in the day but are about as close as it comes to replicating the performance of an old Cold Steel.

Cold Steel has had to go a long way to find the quality/performance/cost balance of the Trailmaster and Recon Scout line. They have done a pretty amazing job doing so IMO.

Joe

Back