Reconing 1 again

Had a few of the old AUS8 models and remembered the feeling of confidence they instilled in hand, tried to land the Carpenter steel version but received S35V instead, it will be fun to break in joining the few expensive knives I reduced my collection down to years ago. It still has that mystique I liked, going to use it alot so I can see how it sharpens up.

After a complete disassembly, very light polishing of the machined surfaces and pivot area, lube, these become very smooth in action and depressing the lock bar. Comparing to S30V, it seems to sharpen a little easier with decent edge retention, softer and strops fast. I dont know if I'd call the new coating "DLC", but it's attractive in showing use...solidly built and good value for < $100 with the cool factor.

I forgot how big these carry in pocket and sanded where pocket clip meets G10, going to go the epoxy surface route fix to save my pants.

I forgot how big these carry in pocket and sanded where pocket clip meets G10, going to go the epoxy surface route fix to save my pants.

I've never seen the need for the epoxy surface treatment. I sand under the clip and lightly reduce clip tension. That's all it takes for me. I guess using epoxy would make it even slicker. Just seems like a lot of work for a marginal benefit.

I've never seen the need for the epoxy surface treatment. I sand under the clip and lightly reduce clip tension. That's all it takes for me. I guess using epoxy would make it even slicker. Just seems like a lot of work for a marginal benefit.
Well, I took the dremmell and neatly removed material under the clip and rounded off some of the corners of the slabs, carries great now sinking into the pocket up to the top of the clip, hardly exposed, deploys fast with just enough tension. The Tanto is fun with the way it penetrates, getting there with touch ups.

Reactions: AF
I have the aus8 version (my edc), CTS-XHP, and the S35VN versions and think the action on the aus8 is the best. The other two I have are stiff and have alot more resistance, even after an application of lubricant. They probably need to be broken in and used more. I have used the aus8 version for everything from actual self defense , unclogging a tiller, cutting fruit, opening boxes, and using it to pry things. The knife refuses to quit and is able to keep pace with me. The blade has not chipped, deformed, or rusted. I have to admit based upon my personal experience, that Cold Steel puts out a good product for an extremely reasonable price point. I do like the other knife brands also (except Mtech), but it is very hard to find another brand that can comingle high quality at an affordable price for the everyday working man.

Last edited:
I tried to get a Recon1 in XHP, clip point for over a year. I wound up paying too much for a drop point at SMKW. I later picked up the S35VN model with a clip point. I prefer the XHP over S35VN. They are both great steels. The action on both is good.

Back