Recovered a cheap barlow

LrmOqQq.jpg
et9Ukwn.jpg

Cheap Chinese Remington barlow,picked up at a flea market. Clear plastic covers,looks cheesy.
4zySJ1m.jpg

They were held on by aluminum pins and a tab that went under the clamshell type bolsters. The actual liners are pined with hollow roll pins. This made this recover really simple. No need to disassemble it further. If your looking for a knife to practice covering,try to find one constructed like this. I didn't know about the roll pins,but did buy this specifically for this project.
rzeS1lz.jpg

Source of cover material, this is a large loom shuttle. I picked it up at an antique mall for 10 bucks. The sides are 1/4 inch thick, and its made from micarta. This was tough to cut with my dremel,but I got the slabs cut and roughed out. Sorry I got into it at this point and forgot to take more pics:confused::oops:. I glued the slabs on with heavy duty super glue. First one side then used a drill bit to drill the pin hole right through the roll pin:thumbsup: Then I glued the other side on and drilled it.I used mini vicegrip clamps to hold each side as the glue cured. I then used a hand held belt sander to grind the covers flush with the liners,holding it upside down with the trigger lock on. Then shaped the cover the same way. I sanded it and rubbed it with a light oil.
IhlXfPt.jpg
b7ATCXo.jpg

The hole near the bolster was in the material from the beginning, if you look close further back you can see another that had been fillled in. That was there already also. They call that "character" ;)
UVFGSG8.jpg
SqcpQqD.jpg

Finishing nails for pins,glued in cut off and sanded flush with a light peening. I also took down the "hump" over the nail nick,making the spine straight instead of curved.
Thanks for looking and sorry about not having more "in progress" pics :)

Hey, looks pretty great to me!
Coming from you I take that as a great compliment! I did this project to practice with the material before using it on a Camillus scout knife I've modded into a two blader. I've got the Camillus almost ready for the covers. It is a great learning experience as well as I took it completely apart. The Remington being assembled with roll pins made this project a breeze.

LrmOqQq.jpg
et9Ukwn.jpg

Cheap Chinese Remington barlow,picked up at a flea market. Clear plastic covers,looks cheesy.
4zySJ1m.jpg

They were held on by aluminum pins and a tab that went under the clamshell type bolsters. The actual liners are pined with hollow roll pins. This made this recover really simple. No need to disassemble it further. If your looking for a knife to practice covering,try to find one constructed like this. I didn't know about the roll pins,but did buy this specifically for this project.
rzeS1lz.jpg

Source of cover material, this is a large loom shuttle. I picked it up at an antique mall for 10 bucks. The sides are 1/4 inch thick, and its made from micarta. This was tough to cut with my dremel,but I got the slabs cut and roughed out. Sorry I got into it at this point and forgot to take more pics:confused::oops:. I glued the slabs on with heavy duty super glue. First one side then used a drill bit to drill the pin hole right through the roll pin:thumbsup: Then I glued the other side on and drilled it.I used mini vicegrip clamps to hold each side as the glue cured. I then used a hand held belt sander to grind the covers flush with the liners,holding it upside down with the trigger lock on. Then shaped the cover the same way. I sanded it and rubbed it with a light oil.
IhlXfPt.jpg
b7ATCXo.jpg

The hole near the bolster was in the material from the beginning, if you look close further back you can see another that had been fillled in. That was there already also. They call that "character" ;)
UVFGSG8.jpg
SqcpQqD.jpg

Finishing nails for pins,glued in cut off and sanded flush with a light peening. I also took down the "hump" over the nail nick,making the spine straight instead of curved.
Thanks for looking and sorry about not having more "in progress" pics :)
Well done!

I was wondering where you've been on the daily totin thread, now I know ~ you've been busy!:thumbsup:

Good job, looks great.:cool:
That loom shuttle made out of micarta was a wise purchase. The vintage micarta is special. I don't know if it's toxic or not, but I hope you wear a mask just in case.

Back