Recurve correction issue

hwy guys haven’t posted in a long time. Today I tried to correct a recurve in my nib umnumzaan. I flattened the edge by cutting into the stone. Check progress till I seen no light coming from the edge on straight surface. Now the tricky part. I for the life of me can not get the edge to apex in that area of correction. The bevels look nice and even but under a loupe the scratch pattern abruptly stops ever so slightly above the flat edge. I assume I just keep going until it’s apexed but the rest of the 3/4 of blade is getting a massive bur. Any ideas?

Sounds like keep going... my guess is when you flattened the edge, you “wiped out” the bevel on most of the knife... but maybe left a little in the recurve area... and it’s a higher angle than what you’re currently sharpening at? So you’ll need to go until it all matches.

Just occasionally debur the rest of the blade, so it doesn’t bug you. Also, when you get a burr on the entire edge... I would make a pass or two 90 deg. on a fine stone... then sharpen. This will give you a nice clean (damage free) edge.

Obviously, look as you go, and if things aren’t looking right, might post a picture or two.

p.s. I would keep checking the edge on your flat surface also... don’t start a recurve in another part of the blade. :eek:

I got it all fixed. Went back to the 120 grit and formed a bur almost instantly. Thinking the 1k might have been a tad clogged. Everything is so far so good flatness wise. Will pos a pic of finished edge

Anyone want to enlighten me on how I’m to post a pic? All I get is a IMG in brackets after I paste my url

Probably invalid BBcode. I use flickr and invoke the sharing menu, take the URL with .jpg that is between IMG codes.

Last edited:
Probably invalid BBcode. I use flickr and invoke the sharing menu, take the URL with .jpg that is between IMG codes.
Do I add .jpg at the end? I have Flickr also and when I hit share picture then copy link I click the image icon on this page and paste the link in the spot and click post...any idea what’s wrong?

Do I add .jpg at the end? I have Flickr also and when I hit share picture then copy link I click the image icon on this page and paste the link in the spot and click post...any idea what’s wrong?

Choose the one that says BBcode, copy the whole string. However the one you need starts with
Code:
 [IMG]
and ends with
Code:
 [/IMG]
The .jpg is already there before the second IMG.
The rest of the string isn’t necessary for the image to show up.

Choose the one that says BBcode, copy the whole string. However the one you need starts with
Code:
 [IMG]
and you ends with
Code:
 [/IMG]
The .jpg is before the second IMG.
I must need a computer. iPhone isn’t working I think. I don’t have any options of what to copy. Just says copy url. I hate technical crap

I can use iPhone but it’s tricky:
Login to flickr on browser (don’t use the apps). Once in, use the middle browser menu (the one for copy, etc.), go to right to find ‘request for desktop’. The website will change to desktop (like PC), you need to zoom in, choose the photo and tap the share button. Sometimes the BBCode not always shown, close and choose share again. Copy the full string after choosing your image size. I recommend the 1024x768 at max, so the image doesn’t get too big. Paste the string, and you’re done. Step above is to remove the unneeded strings.

Back