Recurve for Les

I've never heard it described as such - but that's absolutely perfect.

I would really like to see this in an 11" camp knife with a single guard and maybe a slim butt cap. Here's another look at mine:

orig.jpg

Roger
Roger, that term is used often when describing the super premium English walnut that the high end shotgun builders use. On a Dakota rifle, that presentation grade wood was a $2000+ option last time I checked. Glad I'm a knifemaker and never have to shell out more than $50 for a premium piece of unobtanium wood...lol.

I just want to say Thank you to everyone for the comments. Lin it will probably be on its way to Les, so will not be in Little Rock. However Its smaller brother will be, personal carry recurve. Roger you have been reading my mind again, I will see what comes up with the camp knife idea or send me an e-mail. Kevin the clip is ground on both sides although a chisel might be interesting. Again thank you everyone and I will see some of you in a few days. We are looking forward to it.

Brion

That's amazing! Reminds me of when Goo was doing all of those rainbow hamons only, well, not on a Goo-style knife.

The fact that you quenched 9260 in #50 and it didn't explode gets you brownie points...lol. Great looking piece:thumbup:

Is that common with high silicon steels and that quenchant?

That's amazing! Reminds me of when Goo was doing all of those rainbow hamons only, well, not on a Goo-style knife.

Is that common with high silicon steels and that quenchant?

Who knows? I was just commenting on using a deep hardening steel like that with an oil that is the next fastest quencahnt after water:D

Roger, my use of the word marblecake come from my background in collecting custom rifles and double shotguns, just as Joe mentioned. The finest guns were nearly always made with thinshell walnut known by many different names. The stockers love it because it was light, very dense/hard/strong, cut like butter, take and hold the smallest checkering, and was exceedingly beautiful. The bespoke wood was called marblecake and was really rare and expensive. But if you were willing to lay out 150K for a Purdey sidelock, 2k for the buttstock/forend was peanuts. I had a fortune tied up in just wood, and the last piece I sold when I sold my guns/wood was a buttstock for a shotgun/single shot rifle for $850. The Las Vegas collector didn't blink at my price, which tells me I undersold it. That was 15 years ago.

I'm really surprised to see how little thinshell walnut is used in knife handles. I can't tell you how many fantastic knife handles end up in stockmaker trash bins. I could have scooped them up free, but I wasn't thinking knives in those days--I had my Randall hunting knives, and they were enough.

The best ironwood reminds me of bespoke walnut in color and figure. Ironwood would be more stable and harder (and heavier). Walnut in most cases probably would need to be stabilized. Many like intricate figure, but I prefer large blotches of jet black contrasting boldly with orange/amber, just like in your bowie above, which I believe is the most beautiful ironwood handle I've ever seen, and perfect for that big blade.

Ken

I'm really surprised to see how little thinshell walnut is used in knife handles. I can't tell you how many fantastic knife handles end up in stockmaker trash bins. I could have scooped them up free, but I wasn't thinking knives in those days--I had my Randall hunting knives, and they were enough.

I know of a couple knifemakers who have twigged to this a source for primo handle material. Thanks for the info.

Roger

I have used some black walnut that I got as a gift from Don Hanson. Nice stuff. I also bought a big bowl carving blank of English walnut recently and look forward to using it. Nice walnut looks great and it really easy to finish like maple.

Sir, you really nailed that one everything about it is really nice. Great job!

Spencer

Back