Recurve Recommend for S30V

I need to sharpen a S30V recurve blade knife. What should I obtain please that does not include machinery. Actually, its more of a touch-up as the blade edge is a little dull.

Thanks
Mr. Wilson

If you don't have a Spyderco Sharpmaker, now is the time to get one!

mister, just know, sharpening a recurve is going to really consume your sharpening medium say 204M or 204F

most of us doht mind (or doht even notice) that, so it shouldn't be of any concern. I'm just saying.

anyway, i decided to avoid recurve blades (or better said, the resharpening of recurved blades) in my household. I'm dun wiv em.

A spyderco sharpmaker makes it easy and helps you develop your skills and understanding if you ever want to progress to freehand.

Oval cross-section diamond honing rods work well for this. Diamond is ideal for S30V anyway. And a 10" or 12" oval diamond rod would be perfect for a recurve in this steel. Most of them will be around ~ 600 grit or so, which makes for a very good working edge on S30V.

Thank-you O w/E.
I understand the dislike for recurves but my primary cuts are through rope, mostly from 1/2 to 3/4 dia. Slipping a boat I may make over 2 dozen cuts and I prefer a recurve for this. I have sharpened many recurves but all with softer steels and I don't want to damage my round stones on this new knife.

I will google for your recommendation. If rules permit, can you give a suggested make?
Thanks once again,
Mr. Wilson.

Thank-you O w/E.
I understand the dislike for recurves but my primary cuts are through rope, mostly from 1/2 to 3/4 dia. Slipping a boat I may make over 2 dozen cuts and I prefer a recurve for this. I have sharpened many recurves but all with softer steels and I don't want to damage my round stones on this new knife.

I will google for your recommendation. If rules permit, can you give a suggested make?
Thanks once again,
Mr. Wilson.

I have an EZE-Lap version (10") and it works pretty well. They aren't too expensive either; I think I paid about $24 for that one a few years ago. I noticed a little bit ago, while checking online, EZE-Lap also makes a portable, foldable oval cross-section diamond hone in two different grit choices (600 & 1200). So that might be worth a look, if it interests you. A vendor pic is below (1200-grit model# 590 is shown; the 600-grit is model# 591 w/a red handle):

EZ_590_open_3087.jpg

I have only ever sharpened one notably recurved blade, which is the Kershaw Spec Bump, which happened to be in S30V. My EdgePro was not suited to it with the stones I had so I went back to my old SharpMaker. This worked fine, although it did take a while given S30V is a pretty wear resistant steel. That said, the basic medium and fine grit stones that come with the base SharpMaker are more than sufficient for touching up a S30V recurved blade (although, as others noted, major repairs and reprofiling will expedite wear, especially with the medium stones...luckily they are not very pricy.)

Back