• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Red DLT M390 madness begins Again

Why? If someone uses their knives, that makes them better than someone who just looks at their knives or parades them on instagram?
I didn't say they were better. But it's important to makers to see their knives get used and carried by a broad range of people, and if you can't see why, I'm not sure I can explain it to you. In any event, a knife bought for $5000 is less likely to be carried. And moreover, a person with $5000 to spare is no more deserving of the knife, in any fundamental sense, than the person with $1200 to spare — so why should the richer man get the knife? The richer man getting the knife is only justice if you're a free market purist. The point of the maker lotteries, and several arguments in this thread, is that knives ought to be distributed equitably, meaning to a broader range of people than is afforded by market pricing alone.

I didn't say they were better. But it's important to makers to see their knives get used and carried by a broad range of people, and if you can't see why, I'm not sure I can explain it to you.

Are more people going to see it in someones pocket, or on instagram?

And moreover, a person with $5000 to spare is no more deserving of the knife, in any fundamental sense, than the person with $1200 to spare — so why should the richer man get the knife?

Then you should be calling out the dealers and manufacturers making limited runs. AND the buyers driving up the demand/prices.

Call out the buyers. They are the ones feeding the beast.

Honestly, i thought the publically call them out method was best. Unfortunetly, there's nothing we can do within the rules except not support them by refusing to buy from them, which does absoluetly nothing because there's always a customer for those greedy turds.

And it's a great idea of yours. Members calling out other members who they feel are not acting in the spirit of the site? Right up my alley, but I don't have the experience in the exchange to do it.

But, again, I think you who you want to call out are the wrong folks. Buyers.

Who was that guy who spent all his time in GBU? Kinda fell off the radar...he'd be perfect for that kinda thing.

All you can do is not buy and if they can't find someone else to they will have to adjust their prices. I certainly would pass. If someone else finds it worth it to them, that is their business not mine. Excessive greed is not an endearing quality. They can do what they want , but shouldn't be shocked if they get some negative reaction.

Last edited:
Call out the buyers.
To what end? Do you think you're going to shame someone out of buying what they want, who is only here to buy stuff?
Members calling out other members who they feel are not acting in the spirit of the site? Right up my alley, but I don't have the experience in the exchange to do it.
It's also against the exchange rules to do that in a sale thread.

To what end? Do you think you're going to shame someone out of buying what they want, who is only here to buy stuff?

It's also against the exchange rules to do that in a sale thread.

So you are saying people who are only here to buy shouldn't be allowed here?

And of course your 2nd point is true...maybe something in GBU. shinyedges shinyedges where were you proposing your idea be done?

Not worth it going back and forth with him.

Well I am sorry you and vanadium vanadium don't wish to discuss your proposals, because you two seem to have two halves of viable plan, i.e., that a group of members "delineate and enforce" the idea that members don't make too much profit by selling LEs and sprint runs to members who are "only here to buy stuff" that they will never use.

Anyone can buy a PM2 with regular steel. So for "users" they are readily available.

If people buy the M390 version to flip, what harm do they do to you personally? None. A lost opportunity to buy a knife cheaply isn't a "problem" that needs any fix. I bought a BM42 for $150 and a Terzuola ACTF for $450. I held onto them and sold them for much more. The same people who complain about "flipping" don't complain if you hold on to a knife and it becomes a collectible. The only difference between these knives and the M390 PM2 is time. What drives the hatred of flippers is "envy" which is one of the 7 deadly sins for a reason.

Remember the Golden Rule, those with the Gold rule. So the buyers with the Gold rule in the game of who has the best PM2 collection. Who cares if they only rule in having a PM2 in M390? That's very minor in the grand scheme of things. Remember obssession over knives is not really a good thing. Take comfort in the fact that anyone who pays $220 for $140 knife is probably screwed up in other ways.

i can not even understand the retail price on these Spydercos, let alone the flipper price.......

One cannot price gouge something that is not a basic necessity or will become one during some sort of disaster. This is supply and demand determining the initial price was too low and adjusting it upward until balance is maintained. There is a demand over supply so the price goes up, plain and simple. Your fellow capitalists are just helping to balance the market by adding supply, albiet at a higher price. It's either that or once the initial run is gone, no-one can ever buy one ever. Can't see someone reselling an over demanded product on the secondary market for the initial too low price.

The answer is that Spyderco should charge the higher price initially (which people also don't like), therby maintaining market balance from the beginning. Interesting to note, there are plenty of knives in the exchange being sold for less than initial price because demand has dried up....which everyone should also be fine with.

Anyone can buy a PM2 with regular steel. So for "users" they are readily available.

If people buy the M390 version to flip, what harm do they do to you personally? None. A lost opportunity to buy a knife cheaply isn't a "problem" that needs any fix. I bought a BM42 for $150 and a Terzuola ACTF for $450. I held onto them and sold them for much more. The same people who complain about "flipping" don't complain if you hold on to a knife and it becomes a collectible. The only difference between these knives and the M390 PM2 is time. What drives the hatred of flippers is "envy" which is one of the 7 deadly sins for a reason.

Remember the Golden Rule, those with the Gold rule. So the buyers with the Gold rule in the game of who has the best PM2 collection. Who cares if they only rule in having a PM2 in M390? That's very minor in the grand scheme of things. Remember obssession over knives is not really a good thing. Take comfort in the fact that anyone who pays $220 for $140 knife is probably screwed up in other ways.

I'm not affected by this particular run, but I have seen the same situation with runs in which I am interested.

It sucks to miss out; it's even worse to see people selling them at a huge markup a few days later. It's like salt in the wound.

The solution is to do what flippers do, after all we are all afforded the same opportunity to purchase. If an item is that important to you, then camp on the dealer's site on release day and buy your knife like the opportunists do.

Either that, or wait for the market to settle and pay a higher price. Like it or not, that's how it is. These are luxury items, and certainly not worth stressing out over.

The answer is that Spyderco should charge the higher price initially (which people also don't like), therby maintaining market balance from the beginning. Interesting to note, there are plenty of knives in the exchange being sold for less than initial price because demand has dried up....which everyone should also be fine with.

I am sure Sal is smarter than you and me and most posters here if not all when it comes to setting the prices of his products, regular productions or limited runs. Maybe driving up the demands for his knives is more important than making a few dozens of thousand dollars more for the company, in a long run.

I agree that there are basically two sub sets of forum members ... as some talked about ... those that contribute to the forum and may buy and sell some at times ... then the ones only here for the buy sell or trade sections ...

now I'm probably in the minority and I haven't sold alot on here ... but when I list a knife and someone inquires or says they will take it ... the first thing I do is check out their postings and if 90% or more are only in the buy and sell I pass them over ...

yes I may lose a sale ... but I trust the members that contribute much more reguardless of how much feedback the flippers have ...

just my pet peeve I guess ...

On the dealer exclusives, limited editions or whatever else sets off a buying frenzy, the dealer shouldn’t even list the price. Kinda one of those “you see the price in the basket” sales. Then, whoever has one in their basket is committed to buy it or be banned from ever buying an exclusive on that site. That way, it’s between the seller and buyer, not the whole world to know. Maybe then, the ones that really want one to use will have a better chance of getting one. That would also provide justification to buy one on the secondary market if the potential buyer really doesn’t know how much it was originally bought for and be happy that one became available to have.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. If I don’t know how much a knife was purchased for and really want that knife and I think the price is doable, more than likely I’ll buy it. It’s when I know how much one sells for and the profit margin is more than what I am willing to pay that turns me away. I still want the knife, but I’m not going to help someone retire if I can help it. I’m sure I buy stuff all the time that have stupidly high profit margins and people/ companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I can think of several products I buy that have ridiculous mark ups, but if I want furniture in my house I’ve got to buy it.

On the dealer exclusives, limited editions or whatever else sets off a buying frenzy, the dealer shouldn’t even list the price. Kinda one of those “you see the price in the basket” sales. Then, whoever has one in their basket is committed to buy it or be banned from ever buying an exclusive on that site. That way, it’s between the seller and buyer, not the whole world to know. Maybe then, the ones that really want one to use will have a better chance of getting one. That would also provide justification to buy one on the secondary market if the potential buyer really doesn’t know how much it was originally bought for and be happy that one became available to have.
Sometimes ignorance is bliss. If I don’t know how much a knife was purchased for and really want that knife and I think the price is doable, more than likely I’ll buy it. It’s when I know how much one sells for and the profit margin is more than what I am willing to pay that turns me away. I still want the knife, but I’m not going to help someone retire if I can help it. I’m sure I buy stuff all the time that have stupidly high profit margins and people/ companies are laughing all the way to the bank. I can think of several products I buy that have ridiculous mark ups, but if I want furniture in my house I’ve got to buy it.

I get your thought but since the flippers already know they can usually make a big profit they would still biy them ... and any limited run they would still hack it up for sale.

Well I can't believe no one's tagged the source in yet.

Hey @Jordan@DLT ; your last knife was killer but!

Some folks at the table didn't get one; and some folks got too many.

I think your price is fine but somehow DLT needs to figure out a way to spread the love a bit more.

Note the regular user tag didn't seem to pop quite right for Jordan. I'll cross post this to his profile too so he see's what folks have to say.

Back