Recommendation? Red Dot

K.O.D.

Manatee Of Death
Platinum Member
I got an new upper handguard with a rail for my M1 Carbine and want to get a red dot/reflex site for it. $250 is the max I can spend, and I don't know a whole lot about them. Any advice would be great.

I like my Burris Fastfire 2 except it is a PITA to sight in, I believe that was corrected with the FF 3. You maybe able to find a used Aimpoint if you don’t mind a short tube.

Vortex has options in that price range. I've got the Sparc AR on my shotgun. It mounts solid, holds zero(only buckshot and slugs through it, no birdshot), and pretty good glass. I've also got the Sparc 1 on my AR. It's an older model, works just fine.

You probably want to check some out in person at a shop first, to see if you prefer tube or square, type and size of reticle, etc.

I have had a few Holosun sights. No complaints at all. Basic and very user friendly.
I like them better than my Aimpoint!

Last edited:
If you can afford the extra cash, the aimpoint PRO is a great choice. I think the battery lasts like 2 years.... turned ON the entire time. Might find one on secondary closer to your budget.

What exactly is the difference between a red dot and reflex?

A reflex is just a type of red dot sight. A reflex projects a dot on the front lens and reflects it to your eye ... they have long battery life and are pretty durable. Sig and Burris have some I think around that price range that are decent.

Last edited:
Thanks y'all. I'm thinking about the SIG Romeo 5. Down the road I can get the magnifier as well.
Me too. I bought a regular 226 Legion with night sights. My friend has the Romeo on his Hellcat and it’s really cool. Worth the extra $$$!!!

Me too. I bought a regular 226 Legion with night sights. My friend has the Romeo on his Hellcat and it’s really cool. Worth the extra $$$!!!

I like that the Romeo 5 is motion activated, and just seems perfect for my M1.

So I decided on the Sig Sauer Romeo 5 XDR predator version. I like the 12 moa triangle, but I like it more because the reticle is green, easier for me as I'm partially color blind. And it's my favorite color.

Putting together the funds...

That reticle looks awesome! I didn't know they made that version. I've only shot with one Sig optic, pretty sure it was the Romeo 5 red dot. It was solid.

I think you've made a great choice. Pics when its mounted please!

Finally got around to putting the rail on the M1.

YPrEN1S.jpg

Sj6WaTD.jpg

Red-Dot sights come in various shapes and sizes. I definitely agree with
You probably want to check some out in person at a shop first, to see if you prefer tube or square, type and size of reticle, etc.
and trying a few is the best way to figure out which one works best for you. If I am not mistaken people with astigmatism have difficulties using red-dot sights. As for the dot sizes, usually measured in MOA, for example 2, 3, 3 1/2, which means that at 100 yards the dot will cover 2, 3, 3 1/2 inches on target. Rule of thumb, smaller size dots for rifles and larger dots for pistols. Depends on the sight model the dot’s intensity can be adjusted manually or automatically based on light conditions around you. Personally I prefer to have manual adjustments. Definitely check the battery type and location because some sights require complete removal to replace the battery, which means zeroing after.

Back