red loctite screw removal?

I just bought a new BladeRunner Systems "Evolve". I wanted to try some new bearing systems in it but I am unable to get the knife apart. I tried my meager skills on one or two of the screws without any luck. I have made several attempts to contact BRS but they have no phone number listed and they have not answered any of my emails.
Are there any knife guys that do this sort of a thing for money? I would gladly pay good money to have this thing apart (I know dynamite would work!)

Heat for loosening loctite. A soldering iron is good. Apply the tip of the iron to the screw.

Loctite might not be the issue. Never held an Evolve in my hands. But I have some knives where screws can only be taken out from one side. Not sure if this helps, but Nick disassembles an Evolve from the show side:

Heat for loosening loctite. A soldering iron is good. Apply the tip of the iron to the screw.
Thanks for the reply. I have tried heat several times with no luck. Any further attempts will likely ruin any possability of ever getting them out!

I think it may be red loctite or some chinese variant. In the past when I have encountered stubborn screws, when I finally prevailed, thats what I found in the screw holes. The screws could be welded in, I dont really know. I just know that they are reallllly in there!

I have contacted BRS recently and they stated that they have used red loctite but stopped using it around 2 years ago, when they switched to blue loctite.There are stories that can be found of people stripping screws from BRS products because of red loctite issues.

Thanks for all the help! I finally had to take it to a machinest and have them drilled out. The machinest was convinced that he could get the screws out with his equipment and techniques. Nope! I see that at least some of the BRS staff are in Atlanta. Still not a single answer to any of my three messages that I sent via their website. Lesson learned.

Thanks for all the help! I finally had to take it to a machinest and have them drilled out. The machinest was convinced that he could get the screws out with his equipment and techniques. Nope! I see that at least some of the BRS staff are in Atlanta. Still not a single answer to any of my three messages that I sent via their website. Lesson learned.

I use a Hot-Air Rework Station with the 4mm curved tip to remove screws that have Loctite on them. I protect the scales with Kapton tape. For Blue Loctite I start with 250°C for 12-15 seconds at about 50-75% air. For Red Loctite, the same except at 300°C. If the fastener still seems tough to remove, I hit it with the hot air another 12 seconds.

CPK Scale Removal-2a.jpg

Back