red trout

It seems strange he would post the remaining knives for sale on EBay rather than sell one to you? The fees and hassle of EBay are terrible.

Yeah, I thought the same. Maybe they're being sold auction. I don't know what the price was straight from him, maybe they'd go for more at auction. Who knows.

I've never sold on AAPK, so idk if they have fees. I am just gonna keep an eye out there. I'm not upset about it, sounds like it's a new venture with some hiccups happening.

Yeah, I thought the same. Maybe they're being sold auction. I don't know what the price was straight from him, maybe they'd go for more at auction. Who knows.

I've never sold on AAPK, so idk if they have fees. I am just gonna keep an eye out there. I'm not upset about it, sounds like it's a new venture with some hiccups happening.

He's probably referring to the fact you'll have to get them on the secondary market at this point.

He's probably referring to the fact you'll have to get them on the secondary market at this point.

No, he definitely wasn't. He specifically said that he was holding a few for on eBay and AAPK, and told me about his AAPK store.

No, he definitely wasn't. He specifically said that he was holding a few for on eBay and AAPK, and told me about his AAPK store.
Weird, that is how I contacted him, through his AAPK store, since that is how I bought my other knives from him.

It seems I remember hearing that it was sort of hectic, receiving all those knives, and he had not had time to get pics up on his AAPK store site, so he was selling by phone. I imagine he kept a few back so that he COULD put them on his AAPK store site, once the dust sort of settled.

This is all strictly speculation on my part, though...

I didn't mean to start a discussion about buying them. Just that I didn't get one but will keep an eye out.

They look nice. I like the handle options. The "popcorn stag bone" looks like Queen's undyed stag carved bone.

What is fun about these is the large variety of handles. I don't think there were more than 4 or so of any of the covers... correct me if I'm wrong, of course. I think there were only two of the basketweave jigged bone, and only a couple of the kirinites. Eric did a great job creating variety in these, showcasing just what could be done.

The purchasing process shouldn't be discussed here folks. Thanks!

Well I received my Red Trout yesterday. I had ordered a "Dark Red Pressed Stag Jigged Bone"
I pretty certain that this is a "Merlot Wormgrove Bone". I kind of thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting the one I ordered. No big deal. I felt bad for Richard. He had a lot of people calling him. Not going to loose sleep over it, but I don't think I can warm up to this one. Does have a nice Merlot color which my pic does not show well. Eric hit the bullseye on these however. Great build quality, and good walk & talk.

R2dQewQ.jpg

Tim, I feel awful about the mix-up. I know they were pretty overwhelmed over there. Was there a sticker on the end of the box?

Eric

Tim, I feel awful about the mix-up. I know they were pretty overwhelmed over there. Was there a sticker on the end of the box?

Eric
No sticker Eric. I was wondering if the boxes were labeled. Can't imagine how overwhelmed he was. I'm not upset though. Just a first world problem :)

No sticker Eric. I was wondering if the boxes were labeled. Can't imagine how overwhelmed he was. I'm not upset though. Just a first world problem :)

Well they were labelled, it's probably stuck on his shirt LOL. I'm glad you're not upset, maybe there's a trade in your future? That's actually the same bone that we used on the Kabar Coppersmith knives at Canal Street. Don't recall ever seeing it on another knife anywhere. I think it looks better with the stainless bolsters.

Eric

I have had a chance to live with my knife for a few days. Here are a few of my impressions of my knife. GEC level of quality. Maybe a little higher because of the transitions from bolsters to handles are totally smooth without any noticeable snags. This is a little more like a custom knife in that respect. The walk and talk are very strong. The pulls are strong, I’d rate them at 7-8 on my personal scale. The previous batch of clip point Red Trouts had CPM-154 steel and no half-stops. This last batch is 1095 and nice half-stops. The nail nick is very deep and wide which is nice when opening a blade with a stout pull. This feels more confidence inspiring, less chance of breaking a nail.

The only small let down is that these do not have pinned shields.
UA5PQeG.jpg

6GUhgWd.jpg

Last edited:
Back