red trout

Well I received my Red Trout yesterday. I had ordered a "Dark Red Pressed Stag Jigged Bone"
I pretty certain that this is a "Merlot Wormgrove Bone". I kind of thought I had a 50/50 chance of getting the one I ordered. No big deal. I felt bad for Richard. He had a lot of people calling him. Not going to loose sleep over it, but I don't think I can warm up to this one. Does have a nice Merlot color which my pic does not show well. Eric hit the bullseye on these however. Great build quality, and good walk & talk.

R2dQewQ.jpg
I love that jigging. It looks a little like bit like Case’s pocket-worn jigging. The worm groove is a nice touch too.

Anyone else still waiting on their order? Feels like mine should have arrived by now.

Still waiting here to....I think he got a little overwhelmed.

I had emailed him last week and his daughter responded yesterday apologizing and asking for my mailing address. Said she was helping him ship the remaining knives.

Thanks Justin, thats good to hear. Without tracking, feel a bit lost as I’ve been checking the mail.

Thanks Justin, thats good to hear. Without tracking, feel a bit lost as I’ve been checking the mail.

Email him at the contact address listed on the PayPal confirmation email (different from payment email) and let them know what you bought and give your address...I'd make sure to get on her radar.

me too, waiting, not wanting to bother, though may check in.
Update- I contacted Richard and it turns out the knife was delivered in a timely fashion to my (closed for covid) professional workplace address. That info helps and I will track it down!

Last edited:
Alright, so first off, I love the knife! Absolutely love it. I do wish the buying process would have been a little bit smoother, but I'm going to chalk it up to part of the charm of owning a Red Trout knife, lol. It's not like there are a whole lot of them out there, nor do you see them for sale on the secondary market often. Beggars can't be choosers after all. :)

I went in hoping for either the box elder burl or one of the katalox knives, but when I called, Rich steered me towards one of the bocote knives so I figured my first choices were sold out and went with one of those. Who doesn't love bocote right? A little snafu happened and the bocote was sold to someone else so I went through the picking process again and was told the katalox was sold but that he would send me pictures of what was available. I looked at the four knives available, and funnily enough the katalox WAS available... Unfortunately, I mistook it for Micarta, lol. So I present to you... Aberdeen Jigged Bone! :D

CWGpjhm.jpg

It's a phenomenal knife! The color ended up being MUCH better than I was expecting from the picture I received. Fit and finish is fantastic! Honestly, I think it's a decent step above any of the GECs I own and compares more closely to the Case/Tony Bose collab I have. The transition from the scales to the bolsters is great and the polish job on the bolsters is top notch. The backspring and liners have ZERO gaps, like none. I think that might be a first for me to be honest. Usually I can slip a little piece of receipt paper into a knife somewhere along the backspring, but nope. The pin and rivets are very well done. There was a small amount of polishing compound around a couple of rivets, but no biggie. The jigging is divine. I love it. Case's standard jigging has always been my favorite, but this is giving it a run for it's money! I really, really love the way the blade sits when closed. It makes it very easy to pinch it open... Which is a good thing because I would say the pull is about a 7 - 7.5 or so. Weirdly enough, it feels like the pull gets a bit stronger when you go past the half-stop. Maybe it's my imagination though. Also, I love the half-stop. I wish they were standard on traditional knives. The blade could be a bit sharper and the grind is slightly uneven on one side of the knife, right at the tip... But I always sharpen my knives first thing, so it's hard for me to hold that against it. I love the choice of blade shape. So useful. Centering is dead on. The stamps are perfectly done and the sunken joints were a great touch!

All in all @ea42 knocked it out of the park and I can't wait to see what comes out of the Alber's Cutlery Company!

bTL9PbW.jpg

dXRuNM2.jpg

Alright, so first off, I love the knife! Absolutely love it. I do wish the buying process would have been a little bit smoother, but I'm going to chalk it up to part of the charm of owning a Red Trout knife, lol. It's not like there are a whole lot of them out there, nor do you see them for sale on the secondary market often. Beggars can't be choosers after all. :)

I went in hoping for either the box elder burl or one of the katalox knives, but when I called, Rich steered me towards one of the bocote knives so I figured my first choices were sold out and went with one of those. Who doesn't love bocote right? A little snafu happened and the bocote was sold to someone else so I went through the picking process again and was told the katalox was sold but that he would send me pictures of what was available. I looked at the four knives available, and funnily enough the katalox WAS available... Unfortunately, I mistook it for Micarta, lol. So I present to you... Aberdeen Jigged Bone! :D

CWGpjhm.jpg

It's a phenomenal knife! The color ended up being MUCH better than I was expecting from the picture I received. Fit and finish is fantastic! Honestly, I think it's a decent step above any of the GECs I own and compares more closely to the Case/Tony Bose collab I have. The transition from the scales to the bolsters is great and the polish job on the bolsters is top notch. The backspring and liners have ZERO gaps, like none. I think that might be a first for me to be honest. Usually I can slip a little piece of receipt paper into a knife somewhere along the backspring, but nope. The pin and rivets are very well done. There was a small amount of polishing compound around a couple of rivets, but no biggie. The jigging is divine. I love it. Case's standard jigging has always been my favorite, but this is giving it a run for it's money! I really, really love the way the blade sits when closed. It makes it very easy to pinch it open... Which is a good thing because I would say the pull is about a 7 - 7.5 or so. Weirdly enough, it feels like the pull gets a bit stronger when you go past the half-stop. Maybe it's my imagination though. Also, I love the half-stop. I wish they were standard on traditional knives. The blade could be a bit sharper and the grind is slightly uneven on one side of the knife, right at the tip... But I always sharpen my knives first thing, so it's hard for me to hold that against it. I love the choice of blade shape. So useful. Centering is dead on. The stamps are perfectly done and the sunken joints were a great touch!

All in all @ea42 knocked it out of the park and I can't wait to see what comes out of the Alber's Cutlery Company!

bTL9PbW.jpg

dXRuNM2.jpg
Great color and that is some exceptional jigging. Very nice.

just got mine today (shipped to closed-down work, so took a bit for me to track it down). I got the elk stag one, and omg it's so nice. stiff pull as folks have noted, my arthritic hands will have can get used to it, 'cause it's love at first sight. sorry for bad pics. great job @ea42 and Richard!
RedTroutElk1.jpg RedTroutElk2.jpg

just got mine today (shipped to closed-down work, so took a bit for me to track it down). I got the elk stag one, and omg it's so nice. stiff pull as folks have noted, my arthritic hands will have can get used to it, 'cause it's love at first sight. sorry for bad pics. great job @ea42 and Richard!
View attachment 1357037 View attachment 1357038
Very pretty stag/elk... that should age very nicely.... congrats!

Back