red trout

Well, let me first say both of the Red Trout knives that arrived today are lovely, basically flawless and with good strong snap. And, I love the box and label.

sadly, I ordered an abalone and a sambar stag, and instead received a red jig bone and a merlot worm groove bone.

I have contacted Richard about this and it looks like he sent me the wrong pair, and still has the two I ordered.

when these arrive everyone will be happy - they are sweet. The two I have in hand are GEC Northfield quality with no finishing flaws, scratches or stuff like that.

Last edited:
Mine arrived today... the orange/red kirinite, and the basketweave jigged bone, which looks almost like a "crosshatched winterbottom". I like it better than I expected to.
Both have strong pulls, with the orange being about a 7. I can just barely pinch it open. The bone one is probably a good 6 or so. Both are very nicely finished out, and came with a good, usable edge. I plan to refine the edge a bit, to shaving sharp, but I'm in no hurry. I'll do some flushing of joints and edge work later today or tomorrow.
I think Eric did a great job with these, which makes me even more enthusiastic about his new company.... can't wait to see what he comes up with there.

jKLN5P.jpg
jKLfEm.jpg

jKLuVK.jpg
jKLDvZ.jpg

Mine arrived today... the orange/red kirinite, and the basketweave jigged bone, which looks almost like a "crosshatched winterbottom". I like it better than I expected to.
Both have strong pulls, with the orange being about a 7. I can just barely pinch it open. The bone one is probably a good 6 or so. Both are very nicely finished out, and came with a good, usable edge. I plan to refine the edge a bit, to shaving sharp, but I'm in no hurry. I'll do some flushing of joints and edge work later today or tomorrow.
I think Eric did a great job with these, which makes me even more enthusiastic about his new company.... can't wait to see what he comes up with there.

jKLN5P.jpg
jKLfEm.jpg

jKLuVK.jpg
jKLDvZ.jpg
beautiful! great choices.

Rich's daughter sent me a couple pictures the other day and since I know some of you are chomping at the bit to see the finished covers on these, I thought I'd post them here. :)

9hVzC0y.jpg

This is the one I believe is on it's way to me. :D

pue6lQc.jpg

Last edited:
Rich's daughter sent me a couple pictures the other day and since I know some of you are chomping at the bit to see the finished covers on these, I thought I'd post them here. :)

9hVzC0y.jpg

pue6lQc.jpg

Very nice! I believe one of the katalox woods is mine (the other has been posted already and there were only 2 made). I can’t wait to see it in person.

9hVzC0y.jpg

pue6lQc.jpg

Thanks! Im so excited about these

I ordered right away last week and received a parcel this morning with three knives; two were the wrong ones and are being returned to Rich - he’s working on replacements for the two I was hoping for. In the meantime, here’s a pic of Eric’s wonderful Sarsaparilla Jigged Bone, as nice a small pocketknife as one could hope for:
4D209EC9-2DB1-4A6E-A2B5-99FEE70FEC98.jpeg
460D5D0F-5716-4DDB-BBF1-BDBCF61D224B.jpeg

Fortunately I did receive the two I ordered, I like them both very much. Fit & finish is very good, great snap, pretty strong pull but may loosen up with some oiling/cleaning. This photo doesn't do them justice.

opZ8TKN.jpg

How were these shipped? First class, priority, etc.? No packages in my mailbox yet.

Fortunately I did receive the two I ordered, I like them both very much. Fit & finish is very good, great snap, pretty strong pull but may loosen up with some oiling/cleaning. This photo doesn't do them justice.

opZ8TKN.jpg
Is the top one micarta? What are they calling that? Is it pinchable?

Is the top one micarta? What are they calling that? Is it pinchable?
They called it Snakeskin Micarta. It's really pretty cool, just having a hard time getting a good photo due to the glare. It is pinchable, but just barely. There's plenty of blade to grab on to, but the pull ist pretty strong.

Nice choice! Jigged bone is amazing and the Snakeskin is cool and unique. :cool: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

There were so many great choices in this drop. It was a bit stressful actually, since there weren't alot of photos of the finished knives. While I don't think I could have gone wrong with any of the options, I like these two quite a bit.

Back