red trout

I ordered right away last week and received a parcel this morning with three knives; two were the wrong ones and are being returned to Rich - he’s working on replacements for the two I was hoping for. In the meantime, here’s a pic of Eric’s wonderful Sarsaparilla Jigged Bone, as nice a small pocketknife as one could hope for:
View attachment 1351279
View attachment 1351278
Yes... the sarsaparilla is the one I wanted, and asked him about, but he immediately started talking about the kirinite, and other ones, including the basketweave. I assumed he didn't have any sarsaparillas left, so I went with the ones I got. I think it might be the prettiest of the bones, but I haven't seen many of the others. That stag that Elgato got is very nice, as is the gnarly stag bone one...

Mine came today and I love it. Thanks to Rich and Eric! It’s hard to capture the color in the poor lighting I have right now but I like it. To be honest I have never even heard of Katalox wood before. I really love the shield on these too. I just oiled it up and it will go with me to work tomorrow.

345B8149-B2D4-44DC-8EFD-8637B06CDDDD.jpeg DFFEDC5C-7C09-4CC1-B7C7-77CD5B98ECD3.jpeg 25D4C81F-3076-4BA6-B20C-5C9932634A8D.jpeg

They really turned out to be some beautiful knives, with one of the best shields ever. :cool::thumbsup:
I think the Popcorn Stag Bone has been my favorite so far.

Mine came today and I love it. Thanks to Rich and Eric! It’s hard to capture the color in the poor lighting I have right now but I like it. To be honest I have never even heard of Katalox wood before. I really love the shield on these too. I just oiled it up and it will go with me to work tomorrow.

View attachment 1351532 View attachment 1351533 View attachment 1351534
I had never heard of it, either. A quick goober search shows that it is very similar to ebony, but denser than any of the ebony varieties. It is supposed to darken quite a bit with time and use, so you will likely have a black handled knife before long...:D

It's hard for me to pick a favorite so far of the ones I've seen. I think they've all been good. Maybe the Katalox that Wharn Wharn got since I think wood handles look classy on a Boys Knife. I never thought I cared for Abalone, but the one E Elgatodeacero got looks pretty awesome. The stags look nice but I'm just not a stag guy. The two I got are cool but a bit too quirky for many tastes I think - the Snakeskin Micarta is definitely going to be my user, in fact it made it into the pocket again today.
YHmE2C2.jpg

The two I got are cool but a bit too quirky for many tastes I think
That's why I backed out of ordering one.
I just couldn't spend that kind of money on a knife I couldn't see an example of first.

Reactions: AnW
The two I got are cool but a bit too quirky for many tastes I think
That's why I backed out of ordering one.
I just couldn't spend that kind of money on a knife I couldn't see an example of first.

It's hard for me to pick a favorite so far of the ones I've seen. I think they've all been good. Maybe the Katalox that Wharn Wharn got since I think wood handles look classy on a Boys Knife. I never thought I cared for Abalone, but the one E Elgatodeacero got looks pretty awesome. The stags look nice but I'm just not a stag guy. The two I got are cool but a bit too quirky for many tastes I think - the Snakeskin Micarta is definitely going to be my user, in fact it made it into the pocket again today.
YHmE2C2.jpg
I like the looks of that a whole lot better, seeing it close up...
In the pic, it looks like it's a pretty smooth finish.

they should have called it "expanded metal" micarta, though.... :D

I like the looks of that a whole lot better, seeing it close up...
In the pic, it looks like it's a pretty smooth finish.

they should have called it "expanded metal" micarta, though.... :D

It was a bit rough looking in spots (and subsequently dull) when I got it, so I rubbed in some mineral oil with a cotton rag and it brightened right up. It feels pretty smooth to the touch, I guess some dust from the shaping operation was caught in micro sized scuff marks.

It's funny, expanded metal was the first thing I thought of as well.

It is about to rain and it is too dark for decent pictures, but here is a size comparison with a GEC 14 and 15 on either side. My green bone example has nice round handles and the 15 Barlow pictured has flattened handles so the Red Trout actually feels like a slightly thicker handle.
YY0X9De.jpg

rkveWAi.jpg

It is about to rain and it is too dark for decent pictures, but here is a size comparison with a GEC 14 and 15 on either side. My green bone example has nice round handles and the 15 Barlow pictured has flattened handles so the Red Trout actually feels like a slightly thicker handle.
YY0X9De.jpg

rkveWAi.jpg
That green bone is my favorite, so far. It's a real pickle.

I haven't been on much lately, and just saw them posted on Facebook. I gave a call this morning, but they're sold out (other than ones going on eBay and AAPK, he said).

Missed them again!

Sorry if I missed it, but are the shields pinned?

Back