Red Wing or Chippewa boots

I climb trees for a living and I wear the American made chippewa super logger all year long. I wore red wings until three seasons ago when somebody close to me recommended the chips. I never had a problem with the red wings, but I love the chips and until I find a good reason they're what I'll keep wearing.

Most of the places in my area that sell real working boots carry them both at close enough to the same price as well. I would never buy a pair of boots without trying them on first.

I have been quite satisfied with 6" Irish Setter hard toes (a Redwing brand) for work. I can wear them all day without any discomfort. That is a big plus with hard toes. You need to consider all the lacing involved with the higher boots if you don't really need them. I own higher ones and found that I almost always choose the 6" boot/shoe for work.

My experience is that Chippewas depend a lot on the model. I ordered their engineer boot and was really unimpressed- no lining and no heel slip made them ridiculous to get on and off, and they felt cheap. Then I tried a pair of harness boots I saw at a store and they were the opposite- nicely lined and feel like the quality I was looking for. Had them a few months and so far, so good, although I had to remove the side pulls because they were a bit too tight on my calves.

With that good experience, I went looking for a pair of 6" work-type boots, and again, cheap feeling and unlined.

Anyway, just got the call that my Redwing 607s have arrived and I hope they work out- I am totally over boot shopping!

I used to just by cheap boots but I was blowing through em out here on the ranch so i decided I would just bite the bullet and buy a pair of red wings! Best $200 I ever spent! I didn't have trouble breaking them in but out here on the ranch I'm wearing them all day, everyday so it doesn't take long to break in a pair of boots. And comfort! Think sports car for your feet! Bottom line, buy red wings!

Daniel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll throw my two cents in.I work construction and I've wore just about every boot there is.The best for me,in that price range, was a pair of Danner Quarry's that lasted a year and a half.After those, I bought a pair of custom Wescos and they are still going strong 8 months in.I take care of my boots leather so the sole was always what gave out on me.The Wesco's sole still looks brand new.

Looks like Danner has redesigned their logger line up. Lighter weight and lower prices; no idea about quality or comfort, though.

Gotta love Red Wing- I wore my 607s around the house for 2 weeks before deciding that they actually were a little too roomy. Took them back and no sweat- "Here's a half-size smaller for you, let us know how these work". Takes all the fear out of paying this much for boots. The smaller size is just a little snug, but I think in a couple of days I'm going to be very happy. If not, they'll be going back, because for this price I need to really love them.

Back