Redesigned chitlange fighting khukuris!

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Over the years Kailash has seen influxes of fans from different parts of the knife world. Initially catering almost exclusively to diehard khukuri nuts, we've developed followings within bushcraft and most recently martial arts communities. With these martial artists, particularly those coming from a background of european swords we're always being asked what's the lightest, fastest khukuri we make. Historically that's ben a difficult question to answer and we've had to point to a few different options- Our HSI, Chitlange and sirupate khukuris, with the last two being a split the difference type situation.

full

To better serve these needs and add a bit more variety to our product lineup we've gone ahead and redesigned our entire chitlange lineup to be more fitting with a regional variant that ramps up the speed and combat capabilities of these blades dramatically. The limbuwan sirupate style features less tip drop with dramatic fullering and a slight taper down to the tip, helping to make the blade extremely agile in hand but also increase the thrusting performance- often an overlooked aspect of a khukuris performance.

full

This particular 14"chitlange has a 4.25" handle and weighs 380g. This is truly a featherweight in the world of khukuris and offers our lightest weight and fastest feel per inch of any blade we've offered yet. In fact this is our goal with these new chitlanges- to be the lightest and fastest khukuri available for any given blade length available.
While we haven't photographed any of the other blade lengths yet, they all have updated patterns and specs to match. In future we'll even have a standard option for a guard- one of the most frequently requested upgrades from those coming over from HEMA and other areas.

full

Some feedback from the owner of this specific blade:
"Finally got my chitlange from Kailashblades. This bad boy has a 14" long blade but only weights is at around 380g. The fastest and lightest kukri I own (lighter than a tramontina machete!). It feels like a natural extension of my arm and the point goes exactly where I want it to land. This chitlange is not a tool. It's a pure weapon!"
It's great to be able to diversify a bit and make some very dedicated high performance blades like this amongst our other harder working options.

I'll be uploading photos of all the new pattern chitlanges as they get made so watch this thread if you'd like to keep updated. We have a 16", an 18" with micarta and a guard and a 24" with a guard all on the way.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash.

Last edited:
.838 lb..... you aren't kidding! That is light!! Pointy point as well.

I just saw one of theses with a brass s guard on Imgur. Looked wicked.

7awG2J5.jpg

24 inch
Hahaha looks like we have a leak!
A welcome leak though. That's the first of the 24" chitlanges with the full s guard. We're not fully sure of it that will end up being the final website pattern but will keep you posted if that's the case.

Over the years Kailash has seen influxes of fans from different parts of the knife world. Initially catering almost exclusively to diehard khukuri nuts, we've developed followings within bushcraft and most recently martial arts communities. With these martial artists, particularly those coming from a background of european swords we're always being asked what's the lightest, fastest khukuri we make. Historically that's ben a difficult question to answer and we've had to point to a few different options- Our HSI, Chitlange and sirupate khukuris, with the last two being a split the difference type
situation.

Hope I,m doing this right regarding a reply .Great thread by the way . Some members may find this interesting regarding Chitlange khukuris . I have already said in a previous thread that I own a British Army issue khukuri and how it is overbuilt and with too much thickness on the spine to be much use from a practical point of view . I decided to carry out as much research as I could to try and find out if the British Army Brigade of Gurkhas actually use their issue khukuris for practical use because apparantly they are issued with a ceremonial model and a working model on being accepted and passing out into their individual Regiments . It was interesting to see on the few pieces of photographic evidence of Gurkha soldiers on combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan that they appear to favour and carry the "Chitlange" style of khukuri . There is even a photo of Prince Harry carrying a chitlange(noted by the shape of the butt end of the handle) on the back of his webbing equipment . I also remember reading somewhere that when our Gurkha soldiers return to Nepal on leave it is common for them to buy privately purchased khukuris there ! Anyone else have any ideas on this ?
full

To better serve these needs and add a bit more variety to our product lineup we've gone ahead and redesigned our entire chitlange lineup to be more fitting with a regional variant that ramps up the speed and combat capabilities of these blades dramatically. The limbuwan sirupate style features less tip drop with dramatic fullering and a slight taper down to the tip, helping to make the blade extremely agile in hand but also increase the thrusting performance- often an overlooked aspect of a khukuris performance.

full

This particular 14"chitlange has a 4.25" handle and weighs 380g. This is truly a featherweight in the world of khukuris and offers our lightest weight and fastest feel per inch of any blade we've offered yet. In fact this is our goal with these new chitlanges- to be the lightest and fastest khukuri available for any given blade length available.
While we haven't photographed any of the other blade lengths yet, they all have updated patterns and specs to match. In future we'll even have a standard option for a guard- one of the most frequently requested upgrades from those coming over from HEMA and other areas.

full

Some feedback from the owner of this specific blade:
"Finally got my chitlange from Kailashblades. This bad boy has a 14" long blade but only weights is at around 380g. The fastest and lightest kukri I own (lighter than a tramontina machete!). It feels like a natural extension of my arm and the point goes exactly where I want it to land. This chitlange is not a tool. It's a pure weapon!"
It's great to be able to diversify a bit and make some very dedicated high performance blades like this amongst our other harder working options.

I'll be uploading photos of all the new pattern chitlanges as they get made so watch this thread if you'd like to keep updated. We have a 16", an 18" with micarta and a guard and a 24" with a guard all on the way.
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash.

Hey there bigbeard!
You've muddled up the reply a bit but it's no stresses.

"Hope I'm doing this right regarding a reply .Great thread by the way . Some members may find this interesting regarding Chitlange khukuris . I have already said in a previous thread that I own a British Army issue khukuri and how it is overbuilt and with too much thickness on the spine to be much use from a practical point of view . I decided to carry out as much research as I could to try and find out if the British Army Brigade of Gurkhas actually use their issue khukuris for practical use because apparantly they are issued with a ceremonial model and a working model on being accepted and passing out into their individual Regiments . It was interesting to see on the few pieces of photographic evidence of Gurkha soldiers on combat operations in Iraq and Afghanistan that they appear to favour and carry the "Chitlange" style of khukuri . There is even a photo of Prince Harry carrying a chitlange(noted by the shape of the butt end of the handle) on the back of his webbing equipment . I also remember reading somewhere that when our Gurkha soldiers return to Nepal on leave it is common for them to buy privately purchased khukuris there ! Anyone else have any ideas on this ?"

You've pretty much hit the nail on the head. While I'm sure there are gurkhas that stick with and do genuinely utilise their standard issue khukuris it does seem that there's a trend towards more standard western combat knives and also slimmer, more point focused khukuris when they are used. Privately purchasing blades is nothing new however. While we may hold the service issue blades from the early 20th century in high regard, many gurkhas felt otherwise and reached out to purchase khukuris privately. Some examples have ended up in private collections and have extremely well fleshed out histories of use in combat in various theatres of war. What's interesting to note though is how the designs changed over time with differing needs and styles of fighting. Many early private purchase blades were officer's blades and sought to reinforce their status in a way standard issue blades couldn't.

Thanks Kailash for the reply
Just to reiterate what I was trying to say was , from a personal point of view I like your Chitlange and Sirupate models equally and both made in the correct manner (Forging , heat treating , quenching etc ) will make excellent working / offensive khukuris and I can see why a Gurkha soldier would put aside his issue khukuri in the field of operations in favour of any of the two mentioned styles . Yes a British standard issue may be built well enough to carry out some general camp / bush craft duties but as a weapon , I think it falls sadly behind in size of blade and style and geometrics and dynamics of the blade shape . There is a story of a British Special Forces operative in Iraq who when working with an Iraqi security team became overun after running low on ammunition and sustaining several dead and wounded in the process . Looking like the situation was starting to turn very bad after being rushed by Isis insurgents , the SF operative pulled out a khukuri he had been given by a Gurkha friend and commenced violently defending himself against his attackers , killing three I believe and seriously wounding several more just before help arrived from British reinforcements . On being rescued it was thought by the rescuers that he had been badly wounded only to be told it was the blood of his attackers . After talking with people I know , I believe this to be a fairly accurate account . I would like to know which style of khukuri he had used !
In my opinion , the Kailash Chitlange is purely a weapon to be used offensively whereas the Sirupate for all it can be used as an offensive weapon is more of a lightweight all rounder for use as a light bushcraft tool also . Both beautifull made pieces .
Thanks

Absolutely- our sirupate is built a little tougher with a wider practical capability as well :)
I'm familiar with this particular khukuri incident you're speaking of but don't think the SAS operative has been named or his blade identified. I've seen it reported multiple times that the blade was 18" long on his khukuri which would suggest a blade longer than a standard issue. It could be a 5.5" handle on a 13" sirupate or even a longer and leaner blade.
Take care,
Andrew

Back