Reducing layers

I have a GEC #53 Cuban Castro, and, while I like the idea of 4 wharnecliffe blades, I find the knife too thick to comfortably carry in pocket. I am wondering how difficult it is to essentially split the knife in half, and make it a 2 layer, or potentially two 2 layer knives? Is it better to send it out to have the work done? Or is this even possible, or worth the trouble (and expense)?

Greg

It is definitely possible, but if you haven't done it before you probably want someone with experience to do it for you. You could get one with bolsters and one linerless with 2 different types of scales. And even a slightly different handle design. Fun! But "worth it" entirely depends on you

You're only going to loose the thickness of one tang/spring and a liner, which is what? 1/8 (0.125) inches/3.175 mm.
Will 1/8 inch really make a difference in how it feels in your pocket?
Also, won't deleting blades take a huge chunk out of the "collector value"?

I was chastized rather severely for stating in another tread that it seemed to me, GEC collectors didn't/don't care about blades being deleted, and not original covers, since blade deletes and replacing the covers are the most common and popular modifications, by people who claim to be a GEC collector, or not.

Personally, I wouldn't modify it. That said, it's your knife, do what makes you happy. :)

Assuming here, as I haven’t done any of this:
I’m guessing a lot of the expense would come from “building” the second knife. One knife could probably be put together fairly easily using the existing scales, bolsters, liners, etc. Those parts would have to be created for the second knife - though you could go liner-less, shadow pattern.

It sounds like you are thinking of doing some of this yourself, if possible? I think there are some people in other parts of the Forums who would walk you through the process if you wanted to attempt it.

It’s definately possible, but if you haven’t done it before you will want to practice on some cheaper knives first. It can be tricky to get it to come out perfect, especially the pins. There’s a reason people charge what they do for these mods. I think Glenbad had a thread where he walked through the process step by step.

I’ve done layer deletes on a bunch of knives and I’m still not ready to do it on one of my GECs.

theres quite a number of folks who can do the blade deleting for you. but just realize that you will likely put more money into this knife than it was originally sold for and you will not likely get the money back. I am currently waiting for my 7th and 8th gec to come back from deleting so ymmv. I wish they made em the way I like, I tell Bill every time Im at the factory.

I’m fairly certain that this would be a job beyond my skill level. I might put this idea on the back burner, for now. Thanks for all the responses, everyone

Greg

A lot of the custom Titanium SAK's are assembled with screws, so they are more easily modified.image.jpeg

Back