Recommendation? Redwing Boots or?

Looking for a high quality pair of leather boots. I've heard Red Wings are good, are there any better leather boots out there?
Are Red Wings worth the money? How durable are they?
Thanks!

I have a pair if red wings for 2 years and they are great
I wear them quite a lot and no problems with them

I can only recommend them

You can also have a look at wolverine and Danner

So many boots so little time.

Are Redwing Boots good? Yes

Are there other good boots out there? Yes

As with anything it just depends on how much your willing to pay.

However for Redwings price point they are a good boot. Beware however of potential painful break in with regards to their Iron Rangers and Beckmans.

Other good boots to look at.
Oakstreet Bootmakers
Rancourt
Truman Boot Co
Whites Boots
Rider Boot Co
Alden
Viberg
Crockett & Jones
Vass
Edward Green
Gaziano and Girling
Saint Crispin's

All this just depends on how much your willing to pay and what style your looking for. But I highly recommend all of those I listed.

I have a pair of iron ranger, from memory I should be the 8085 with vibrant soles

So many boots so little time.

Are Redwing Boots good? Yes

Are there other good boots out there? Yes

As with anything it just depends on how much your willing to pay.

However for Redwings price point they are a good boot. Beware however of potential painful break in with regards to their Iron Rangers and Beckmans.

Other good boots to look at.
Oakstreet Bootmakers
Rancourt
Truman Boot Co
Whites Boots
Rider Boot Co
Alden
Viberg
Crockett & Jones
Vass
Edward Green
Gaziano and Girling
Saint Crispin's

All this just depends on how much your willing to pay and what style your looking for. But I highly recommend all of those I listed.

Dddrees,
Wow. I've not heard of any of those lol. Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have some homework to do

Seth, what’s your intended use? Kinda surprised no one's asked yet...

Casual, urban warrior, tactical, work, boating/shipping, hiking, backpacking, technical mountaineering, hunting?

I’m also a little surprised that no one’s noted Danner yet...Especially Dddress’ exhaustive listing..

I personally prefer danners, but redwings are good. You might also look at keens, depending on your use. Try to get vibram soles whichever you choose.

Casual, urban warrior, tactical, work, boating/shipping, hiking, backpacking, technical mountaineering, hunting?

I’m also a little surprised that no one’s noted Danner yet...Especially Dddress’ exhaustive listing..
Mostly casual wear, nothing crazy. Something comfortable to walk around in. I live in a rural area so something with a good sole would be nice.

Great point.

My post frankly was based on my perspective as someone who just enjoys wearing boots.

Do keep in mind those at the top tend to be more budget friendly than those at the bottom or the last ones mentioned.

I also wasn't aware of many of those until I really started doing a bit of looking around.

Frankly I didn't mention Danner mainly because their type of boot isn't something that comes to my mind because it's not something that appeals to me. However the ones I mentioned do and in fact there are only a few brands on the list I mentioned that I don't own but if not for having my share of boots already I would because I trust the quality is there and the style of boot would work for me.

What's the benefit to vibram soles?

Vibram soles are some of the best quality soles you can purchase. I have a number of shoes that have them but it also depends on the type and style of sole your looking to get. It's a more casual looking sole. Personally for boots however I tend prefer Dainite and that tends to wear extremely good as well as being a good inclement weather sole vs a leather sole.

Vibram soles are some of the best quality soles you can purchase. I have a number of shoes that have them but it also depends on the type and style of sole your looking to get. It's a more casual looking sole. Personally for boots however I tend prefer Dainite and that tends to wear extremely good as well as being a good inclement weather sole vs a leather sole.
Ok. I'll look at both types of soles. Is one better than the other for grip on wet or icy surfaces?

I can’t help you much on casual boots as my experience is mostly hunting, backpacking, mountaineering, but Redwings are a quality boot, hard to go wrong there.

I’m on a second pair of all leather 8” tall Danner Santiam hunting boots with their Danner Bob outsole, the quietest outsole I’ve walked on in the forest and field, I wore the old ones through 17 seasons and the new through the past 6, I highly recommend them for walk/stalk-type hunting. For hiking I have a light weight pair of Merrell Moab II’s and for backpacking I have an old trusted pair of all leather 6” tall Asolo TPS GV’s w/a Vibram outsole. I don’t mountaineer any longer but when I did I trusted upon Asolo mountaineering boots.

Last edited:
Ok. I'll look at both types of soles. Is one better than the other for grip on wet or icy surfaces?

Vibram gets the nod, but then again most that offer Dainite don't offer a Vibram sole anyway. Dainiite is typically offered on more higher priced boots. It's a less obvious non-leather type sole.

I have lots of different brands of boots ... Redwing upland boots are some of my favorites for days I'll be on my feet alot or walking alot ... no real "break in period" with those ...

I have had several pair of Danner boots most were great quaility and held up well ...

I have some Merrel and Kenetrek hiking boots ... both are nice for certain uses ...

I have been wearing Carolina Loggers for many years ... they are comfy and take a beating and I just treat with Browning boot dressing or Obenauf's a couple times a year ...

and my western style boots from nice higher priced cowboy boots to my pull on wellingtons ... usually Justins ... Tony Lamas ... and Naconas ...

just depends what you want in a boot.

Last edited:
Lucchese for Cowboy boots as well.

Basically all of the boot brands I mentioned use a Goodyear Welt so these boots can be resoled.

Back