Recommendation? Redwing Boots or?

Unfortunately depending on the Redwing Store they may or may not stock their Iron Rangers at this store. These being or considered part of their premium line and more expensive than most are not stocked at all of their Redwing Stores. A call ahead might be a good thing especially if the store isn't close by.
Good call. I hadn't thought about that. I'll give them a shout before I make the 40 Mile drive. Thanks!

The closest Red Wing store had plenty of Iron Rangers but the salesman said he wouldn't hesitate to bring in other sizes.

If you are looking at the Heritage line you might be surprised to learn that you wear a size or a size and a half smaller size than you do in more modem shoes. I wear 10.5 wide in most shoes but my IR are a 9D.

They fit better everyday.

If you are looking for an American made work boots for working on concrete all day long try a pair of Thorogood boots with the Maxwear wedge sole and Removable Dual Density Ultimate Shock Absorption™ Insert on Poron® 4000 Comfort Cushion. I never thought that I would be a fan of the wedge sole, but these are great. I've worn them every day for a year and they still have at least six months left in them. Some wedge sole boots wear out very quickly. Not these. And the cushion has been great for the plantar fasciitis. I'll be buying another pair to replace these when worn out. About $200 for a year and a half is not bad. The only disadvantage is traction in the snow. I think that a boot with a heel is better in the snow.

The closest Red Wing store had plenty of Iron Rangers but the salesman said he wouldn't hesitate to bring in other sizes.

If you are looking at the Heritage line you might be surprised to learn that you wear a size or a size and a half smaller size than you do in more modem shoes. I wear 10.5 wide in most shoes but my IR are a 9D.

I'm definitely gonna have to go and try a few pairs of redwings on. I like the mocs too. Thanks for the info!

If you are looking for an American made work boots for working on concrete all day long try a pair of Thorogood boots with the Maxwear wedge sole and Removable Dual Density Ultimate Shock Absorption™ Insert on Poron® 4000 Comfort Cushion. I never thought that I would be a fan of the wedge sole, but these are great. I've worn them every day for a year and they still have at least six months left in them. Some wedge sole boots wear out very quickly. Not these. And the cushion has been great for the plantar fasciitis. I'll be buying another pair to replace these when worn out. About $200 for a year and a half is not bad. The only disadvantage is traction in the snow. I think that a boot with a heel is better in the snow.
I'll check them out. One downside is I live in CO, and it snows here quite a bit. Thanks!

Half a size smaller is fairly common for a good number of boots. Been awhile and I would have to check but I think my Redwing Beckmans are sized this way. Knowing your Brannock size is fairly valuable especially when buying shoes or boots and you can generally find out what it is at most any shoe store. The Brannock is the device to measure your foot size. Its also fairly common to have one foot a Half size smaller than the other. Since mine is like this I use my larger foot to size for all of my shoes (except loafers where I need one shoe size different for each foot) and boots.

I wear Lowa Baffin Pros just about every day and have for years while re-soling is not free they replace the entire foot bed when they do the job.

Boots.jpg

I was just introduced to Tricker's an english handmade footwear brand, having been a Redwing guy (Still am, but boots are addicting). Ebay Division X Trickers collaboration.

img_5675-jpg.1168400

Even though it's not quite the finish I would prefer on the leather, those boots are freaking gorgeous!

I don't own a pair of proper work boots anymore, as I just don't need them. But for general hiking, camping, etc., I'm quite partial to Merrels for lighter duty, and Asolo for heavier duty stuff.

For more casual, I've been very partial to Doc Martin's the last 10 or so years. Sturdy and comfortable, but I wouldn't call them a workbook by any stretch of the imagination, and you can't resolve them. What I can say is, as long as you buy the ones still made in the U.K., the boot will last forever. I've got a few pair I've beat the piss out of , and other than showing some patina, they're still going strong. I do tend to wear the soles out about every 5 years, but mainly because they see double as a motorcycle boot for me - lots of scuffing across the pavement.

This pair is about 8 years old, and is my personal favorite. The shiny cherry-red works with everything from jeans to slacks (even wore them with a pinstripe suite once) and always get compliments anywhere I wear them... pics don't do the color justice.

E2JmBgz.jpg

Have you ever heard of Zug or as EG calls it Heather Gross? Very thick waxy leather. It's probably the best weather resistant leather you can buy. Unfortunately it's fairly difficult to find anyone using this leather anymore. Too bad really. Cost a bit more than Redwings though.

Edward%20Green%20Skoaktiebolaget%20Galway%20Heather%20Gorse%20B.jpg

Galway%20Heather%20Gorse%20C.jpg

Even though it's not quite the finish I would prefer on the leather, those boots are freaking gorgeous!

I don't own a pair of proper work boots anymore, as I just don't need them. But for general hiking, camping, etc., I'm quite partial to Merrels for lighter duty, and Asolo for heavier duty stuff.

For more casual, I've been very partial to Doc Martin's the last 10 or so years. Sturdy and comfortable, but I wouldn't call them a workbook by any stretch of the imagination, and you can't resolve them. What I can say is, as long as you buy the ones still made in the U.K., the boot will last forever. I've got a few pair I've beat the piss out of , and other than showing some patina, they're still going strong. I do tend to wear the soles out about every 5 years, but mainly because they see double as a motorcycle boot for me - lots of scuffing across the pavement.

This pair is about 8 years old, and is my personal favorite. The shiny cherry-red works with everything from jeans to slacks (even wore them with a pinstripe suite once) and always get compliments anywhere I wear them... pics don't do the color justice.

E2JmBgz.jpg
I've owned two pair of Docs over the years. I really like them but haven't seen them around for years. I'll have to look into them and see what they have to offer. I'd forgotten about them as an option. Thanks!

Have you ever heard of Zug or as EG calls it Heather Gross? Very thick waxy leather. It's probably the best weather resistant leather you can buy. Unfortunately it's fairly difficult to find anyone using this leather anymore. Too bad really. Cost a bit more than Redwings though.

Edward%20Green%20Skoaktiebolaget%20Galway%20Heather%20Gorse%20B.jpg

Galway%20Heather%20Gorse%20C.jpg
Nope. That's another new one for me lol. I'll have to do some investigating and see what I can find. Looks right up my alley for use and durability. Appreciate it!

I wore two pairs of Vasque hiking boots to their deaths decades ago. It took about a decade to wear out each, and I wore them frequently for outdoor recreation and field work, even sometimes about town and in the office. They were all leather, but Vasque no longer seems to make something comparable. Their current lineup has a lot of Gore-Tex lining, and nylon panels for weight reduction and breathability.

Due to bioenergetic studies showing the worst, most inefficient, place to carry weight in on your legs, more hikers and backpackers are wearing shoes instead of boots to reduce weight. Concern about needing ankle support has largely gone by the wayside. So, you may want to consider hiking shoes instead -- lighter, less costly, and more versatile. I use hiking shoes for outdoor recreation these days, the key being a grippy sole that is wide and fairly stiff to give good foot support on uneven terrain.

If you opt for shoes instead of boots and want to be able to comfortably tackle wet, snowy, or muddy trails, just get some Gore-Tex gaitors to wear in such conditions. These are light and offer much more protection from the elements than to high top hiking boots. If you are concerned about needing more ankle support than what hiking shoes offer, you'll likely be buying a size that will easily accomodate two pairs of socks, one of which is a thick pair, so wearing an ankle-support or wrapping your ankles in an Ace bandage is an option.

Ideas on outdoor footwear have caught up to what is practiced for other types of clothing -- layer and accessorize as needed.

I wore two pairs of Vasque hiking boots to their deaths decades ago. It took about a decade to wear out each, and I wore them frequently for outdoor recreation and field work, even sometimes about town and in the office. They were all leather, but Vasque no longer seems to make something comparable. Their current lineup has a lot of Gore-Tex lining, and nylon panels for weight reduction and breathability.

Due to bioenergetic studies showing the worst, most inefficient, place to carry weight in on your legs, more hikers and backpackers are wearing shoes instead of boots to reduce weight. Concern about needing ankle support has largely gone by the wayside. So, you may want to consider hiking shoes instead -- lighter, less costly, and more versatile. I use hiking shoes for outdoor recreation these days, the key being a grippy sole that is wide and fairly stiff to give good foot support on uneven terrain.

If you opt for shoes instead of boots and want to be able to comfortably tackle wet, snowy, or muddy trails, just get some Gore-Tex gaitors to wear in such conditions. These are light and offer much more protection from the elements than to high top hiking boots. If you are concerned about needing more ankle support than what hiking shoes offer, you'll likely be buying a size that will easily accomodate two pairs of socks, one of which is a thick pair, so wearing an ankle-support or wrapping your ankles in an Ace bandage is an option.

Ideas on outdoor footwear have caught up to what is practiced for other types of clothing -- layer and accessorize as needed.
Good to know. I'll keep the weight down on footwear. Thanks!

Good luck, although you will more than likely find them fairly difficult to find and more than what Redwings would cost. However if the welt is sewn properly using the Veldtschoen Construction you can basically wade in water and not worry about it. Most will if they use this leather to begin with. Unfortunately as I said shoemakers who use or are willing to make boots using this leather is getting fairly difficult to find. From time to time I hear of a group getting together and are able to convince Crockett and Jones to do so. But as I said those boots will cost you at least double if not more than a pair of Redwings. The EG boots pictured will cost even more and EG rarely does this anymore and for the most part refuses too unless you know someone.

If you search the internet for Zug you will probably come across some more information.

Danner would be my top choice of non custom made. Wesco makes custom boots n shoes.
also check out big black boots dot com. I have the cosmas Hercules which are great too

Last edited:
FWIW, I really like my Keen Durands. Built in America. Good grip, though I have winter boots for ice and snow. 10+ years old Merrell's. Too bad they don't make them like they used to...

I swore by Merrell. Then everything got cheaper and narrower, and their "wides" only go to size 13.

My dad hated his Danner boots.

FWIW, I really like my Keen Durands. Built in America. Good grip, though I have winter boots for ice and snow. 10+ years old Merrell's. Too bad they don't make them like they used to...

I swore by Merrell. Then everything got cheaper and narrower, and their "wides" only go to size 13.

My dad hated his Danner boots.
I've heard great things about Keen. Thanks

I just got my second pair of Keens and they're great.
I had good luck with Red wings and Keen and was on the fence when it came time for new boots.
The Red wing salesman who visits where I work made the decision for me when he couldn't be bothered to sell me boots.
He told me it was just as easy to go online as buy from him, so I did and bought Keens

Back