Regarding Knifemaker Websites....

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
What are you looking for when you research a knifemaker?

What do you like to find? What don't you like to find?

Photos of course, but what about Technical info on the process? Personal info? Background? Opinions?

Personally, if I find humility combined with proficiency, you have my attention. Get in my face and tell me how great you are, I'm gone.

I like a lot of technical info. Show proficiency and you have my attention, blow smoke up me arse, I'm gone.

I do like a little bit of a background, if it's brief and honest, you have my attention. Tell me how badass you were back in the day, I'm gone.

For those of you familiar with Redmeadow, what information do you think would interest folks?

For those of you not familiar, what would you want to know?

I like to see past projects, the knives that got the makers to where they are today. Also, in the same vein, I'd like to be able to ask that they recreate, or make a similar knife that I find appealing. Many times, however, a maker will have moved on, past that piece, and has no desire to make another. o_O

*Pricing is something I like to see.
Many times I'll see a knife on a thread somewhere on BF and be very interested. Someone will say it's a "Slim Shady Backpocket," or some-such.

I'll go on the interweb and find a nice website, but if there's no price range listed I'm often not gonna bother with the contact form to ask. I wish pricing was more upfront with some makers.

*Timeline is another area that I like to see explained.

Other than that, I think good *photography is something that has to be there. Hire a professional unless you're up to the task.

Here are some things I like to see when researching a knife maker
  • Makers background, experience, years making knives. Has maker worked with other well-known or established makers.
  • Photos of past work and current models being made. Videos are nice as well just to get another perspective.
  • The build process used. Is there focus on handmade, CNC or some combination. This is not just about the build of the knives but how the knives compare it to other knives built using the same process. It does make sense to compare a hand ground blade to one that was made through an automated process.
  • Are orders accepted and if so what's the wait time. If not, is there a time range when I could check back when orders might be taken again or suggestions on how their work can be obtained.
  • I know prices can change based on alot of factors but having a base price is good just to get idea of the range a knife might cost.
  • For the last two, keeping information up-to-date. Maybe having a times stamp of the last time updated to know if information is current
Most of this stuff is very specific. I don't think I have ever seen a maker provide all this information but I wanted to throw it out just to think about. I know most makers are one-man shops and don't have alot of time to spend doing overhead work but it could help with attracting customers. If you ever get to the point that you have years of backlog work then this stuff becomes less important.

I like to see a website that has lots of photos and prices of previously sold knives. I like to see a few shop photos and I like to read to the technical info as well. The sales pitches I don't need, I like to see the knife photos speak for themselves. This is just my 2 cents.

Gene Ingram used to have a website that was overwhelming. (I could stare at it for hours). He has cleaned it up and I like the new format.

http://geneingramknives.com/home/

I would like to see the Knife Info page be a little more in depth and an "About Me" page but overall, I like the clean design.

Been working on a website, revisiting this thread and taking notes.

Keeping pretty simple, photos, IG feed, and FAQ's. Keeping hype marketing crap out of it and want a resource page for folks that are interested.

What kind of questions would you like answered and what topics discussed? When I go to a website I want Meat & Potatoes, not all the BS, give me some applicable information with the when, where, what and why's and keep all the claims of greatness out of it. Can't stand seeing ego come through in an internet page.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Keeping pretty simple, photos, IG feed, and FAQ's. Keeping hype marketing crap out of it and want a resource page for folks that are interested.

What kind of questions would you like answered and what topics discussed? When I go to a website I want Meat & Potatoes, not all the BS, give me some applicable information with the when, where, what and why's and keep all the claims of greatness out of it. Can't stand seeing ego come through in an internet page.

Maintenance, care. Sharpening characteristics of steel? That's a few I can think of at the moment

This is somewhat fortuitous in that I've been dipping my toes in the custom slip joint waters and have been looking at various makers, their websites (if applicable), Instagram, etc.

Some of the things that I found myself wanting to know first hand:

1. Name. Some makers (like yourself) don't go by their given name so if that is the case, I like to know who I could potentially be building a relationship with during the course of collaborating on a custom.
2. Location. This may seem silly but I like to know where the knifemaker hails from. When I show a knife off to someone, it usually gets introduced like this, "Here, check this one out, it's from a maker out of Montana".
3. Steel choice or choices. It's good to know right away what steels a maker prefers or is willing to work with and why.
4. Design Philosophy. This can be relayed in pictures, words, or a combination of both.

Most other stuff is fluff and doesn't really factor in my knife buying decisions. Were you some super secret Green Delta Ranger Seal badass at some point in the past? Sorry, don't care. Did you spend all your life as Jedediah Smith did, barely saw civilization and then somehow that imbued you with superior knife knowledge? I mean, cool beans, but still don't really care.

It sounds like you already have the right approach. Keeping things concise, straightforward, and informative (without spilling your life story) is definitely the way into my wallet. I mean, I'd love to hear your life story - but as a friend, not a customer.

Thanks guys, working on the FAQ's offline so I can order and load them all at once in stead of random chaotic questions.

Very rudimentary and just a start but here is www.redmeadowknives.com

Would really like your feedback on the overall feel of it. It feels awkward to me on Mobile, Desktop seems better.

What I need from everyone is questions for the FAQ section, c'mon fellers, I don't ask for much🤪

Great selection of photos on the website. There is a lot of history there. A number of those older models were new to me. The photos tell the story of your design philosophy and construction techniques better than a lot of fancy words. I like where you are headed so far with the website.

Phil

I think your website is coming along nicely, you have a lot of good photos the show the quality of you work, and that is huge. The one thing I usually read first on any website I visit is the, meet the maker section, I think that in itself is one of the most important features of any website.

John
The website is looking good like the other guys said And I agree with Scott on the meet the maker section. it should have a picture of you and inside the shop that allows people to connect with you . The statement about no knives for sale or order form should have how I can get a knife , like join the newsletter or send emails.

Good points about having an About the maker section. I hate talkin about myself and I think people do it too much nowadays but you guys are right, putting a face to the name is important.

The first thing I wanna know when I go to a site is how much will it cost me and where can I buy whatever it is, then I want to see examples. The first two FAQ's cover cost and how to get a knife. From there I have details about the Newsletter, Dibs, custom work and things like that. From there they go into more detailed questions. I tried to go from the meat & potato questions down to the mundane so you don't have to scroll forever. I appreciate more information as long as it applies, like mentioned above I'm not interested in listening to how much of a tough guy you think you are or hear you make claims and drop names. (Ha, that's kind of funny, "Makin Claims and Droppin Names" I know a few guys like that.)

Back