• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Regrind Service and Knife Modding

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings friends. I am officially (re)opening the books on my regrind service.

Feel free to reach out via PM, or the email address in my sig (turn your phone sideways to see forum sigs) for a quote. Prices vary depending on the items to be reground, and will include the cost of expedited shipping back from my location in Canada. It is not scary to ship to Canada, it only costs a couple bucks more, and you'll be asked to fill out a declaration form. I recommend declaring the items as simply "cutlery" and the purpose of shipping as "repair". Here is the most important part: for folding knives send the blade only. Customs has been known to seize folding knives when they deem them to be "prohibited weapons", which basically means they can flick them open. They can't flick a bare blade.

I grind freehand, to a flat-vex geometry, and am willing to go quite thin. By flat vex, I mean that by microscopic measurement it will be convex, but most people at a glance will think flat.

If a knife is already hollow ground, it can be converted to flat-vex. This process may reduce or completely eliminate the existing flats on the blade, depending on the existing hollow grind's thinness behind the edge and height of the bevel.

I progress through 36, 120, and 220 grit on ceramic belts, and then bring the blade to a fine scotchbrite satin finish. In all the knives I have done for myself, and also for customers, cutting performance is always dramatically boosted.

I also do some re-handling, or stock removal mods to existing handles, do locking mechanism tweaks on certain types of locks, and I make Kydex and Boltaron sheaths.

Here are some examples of my work, some of which were done before I had a regrind maker's mark.

An Outbound fixed blade knife from Canadian Tire, which I bought just to practice on and demonstrate my work:

IMG_9296.JPG
IMG_9298.JPG

A Spyderco Pacific Salt in LC200N I ground to zero (my zero grinds include a very small 20° microbevel to boost edge stability)

IMG_8557.JPG

A Spyderco Waterway I reground, the ricasso was converted to cutting edge, and the blade length was reduced slightly for a more suitable EDC size, and converted to a spear point. The handle was replaced with black canvas micarta (and yellow G10 liners in tribute to the Salt knives) with internal brass pins and waterproof adhesive.

IMG_8589.JPG

IMG_8593.JPG

A Cold Steel Broken Skull in XHP and a BM 555 I did for a gentleman.

IMG_9370.JPG

A Cold Steel Recon 1 in S35VN I did
IMG_9769.JPG

Another Cold Steel Recon 1 I did, this one in XHP. This knife was originally hollow ground, and it was impossible to keep the flats, due the the thinness of the hollow ground bevels, and their height.

IMG_0195.JPG
IMG_0201 mark.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I have a Spyderco Manix with one stripped pocket clip screw and would like some different scales (if you offer custom scales). I would like a quote for services for re-tapping, scale swap, blade chop and re-grind please. Do you some photos of previous work done?

Good morning J J.seaux if you'd like to shoot me an email (in my sig, turn your phone sideways to see it) we can figure all that out. Thanks!

Hi David,

I just sent you an email regarding a blade recondition. I look forward to your reply.

I'll be holding off on taking new regrind and mod orders for now. Thanks for your patience!

I am reopening my regrind books. And why not share a few images of some of my recent work:

Here's one of those Canadian Tire knives after further grinding and mods. Doesn't even look like the same knife, does it?
IMG_3747.JPG

Cold Steel XL Voyager Tanto:
IMG_2051.JPG

Spyderco Manix and Manix 2XL (these two are mine, and can you tell I like neutral handles and full length cutting edges?)

IMG_3865.JPG
IMG_3864.JPG

A Spyderco Tenacious in S35VN with a new blade shape and crowned thumb ramp and spine (also I removed material from one of the liners to go from lightweight to featherweight)

IMG_3709.JPG

A Becker BK-2 (and new sheath as well)
IMG_2718.JPG
IMG_2724.JPG

A Nakiri that had a partial grind, and also suffered from a slight recurve preventing edge contact on the cutting board, as well as having a bit more weight than the owner would have liked. Much better now:

IMG_0681.JPG

A knife the owner had applied a patina to, which he wanted satin finished instead:

IMG_3094.JPG

A couple of Spyderco Resiliences, now with new blade shapes, thinner geometry, and even a new handle shape:

IMG_1389.JPG
IMG_3853.JPG

Complete redesign of the Cold Steel Code 4:

IMG_2589.JPG

A Hoback Kwaiken, now with fine geometry and a crowned spine:

IMG_1153.JPG

Some Busses that now cut like chef knives, but still hit like tanks. ;)

IMG_1754.JPG
IMG_1757.JPG

And new sheaths for them as well:
IMG_1756.JPG
IMG_1759.JPG

Offering serrations now on my knives, or yours (any knife that can be legally imported into Canada).
IMG_2023.JPG
IMG_2102.JPG
IMG_2183.JPG
IMG_2185.JPG
IMG_2187.JPG

Extremely thick knife (3/16" behind the edge!!) reground. Pics before and after (but before marking and final edge sharpening and honing):

img_2198-png.2168665

img_2172-jpg.2168664

img_2197-jpg.2168675

img_2194-jpg.2168672

You can buy a knife in Canada for me to regrind and ship to you.

There are Canadian resellers and also the bladeforums Canadian exchange section.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back