rehandling a WWII

im sure someone has some pics of them doing this?

i would love to know what the tang looks like before i take off the old handle...

thanks!

:confused: I guess this seems like an odd reply to me.

Oldschool45 just did a nice rehandling thread a bit ago though I don't remember which blade he did it with, I am sure someone will post a link for you soon though.

Is the one you have a wood or horn handle now?

SkaerE, post a pick of the WWII. I just re-handled my M43 and left the pommel and bolster in tact it was a lot quicker and easier than the full re-handle I did on my 12" CAK which is the how-to Warty is referring to. Here is the CAK re-handle thread it will give you a good idea of what the tang should look like.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769093

ok. soon as i get a chance i'll snap one.

i believe its a horn handle

Oldschool, i had no idea the hidden tang would be that big. thats good news for me! i guess i had assumed it would be much smaller than the width of the blade at the pommel

mine looks very similar to this one:
10-08-10%20004.jpg

Last edited:
I've rehandled most of my khuks to suit my own grip. Did this 18"WW2 a while back (handle too wide and straight for my liking). Now it is my favorite 18" inch blade in the little collection.

Have fun if you are going to rehandle yours :) Didn't take pictures for all the steps for it though, but hope it helps...

before-afters.jpg

Cheers
Eric

I really like the way that turned out Eric! I especially like the way you put the bend into the handle.
Not sure I would like the way it would feel but I sure do like the way it looks!
What sort of material did you use for the handle on it? I really like the nice reddish-orange hue to it.

SkaerE: If that is like your Khuk then indeed you have a horn handle. Yeah, the rat tail tangs are surprising to a lot of folks who are used to the usual type found on most knives. HI blades are built to last forever as long as you aren't trying to cut a car in half or something else equally abusive that is wasn't meant to do. The hidden tangs are every bit as strong as the Chiruwa or full tang, models which is why it always makes me smile when people insist on a Chiruwa remake of something that usually is made with the hidden tang. There really is no need for worry and to change something like that can often ruin the balance of the blade.

Last edited:
I'm usually one who insists on chiruwa, and those pictures demonstrate why: you're giving up a lot of metal with the hidden tangs. No doubt the hidden tangs are strong, and that they'll hold up barring any abuse, but I still wouldn't like hitting anything, not even wood, with all my might knowing that so much leverage is being placed on a relatively thin, tapered piece of steel.

Aside from the question of strength, however, i also like chiruwa for the more neutral balance, looks, and ease of re-handling (god forbid i ever have to do one)! :D

I'm usually one who insists on chiruwa...

and you're the one that is making me smile all the time. :)

heck, if it makes you feel better, then feel better! :D I have hit some mighty tough stuff with these "weaker" hidden tang khuks of mine and honestly, I haven't felt at all threatened that it might fail on me. ;) I don't see what you see when you look at these pix apparently, what I see is a lot of tang. Plenty of it in fact to take care of business. :thumbup:

again though, merely my opinion and you are certainly entitled to yours. :cool:

bendy handles are surprisingly comfortable. especially if you've made it yourself. ;)

HI's rat tail tangs are so weak that they'll only last for a century or two of abuse and constant chopping, the chiruwas will last a lot longer, maybe another ten years or so more. :) (i've seen issue swords with smaller tangs.)

now that is much more like the tang i expected to see under the grip. gota couple questions for you!

did you grind the tang to get the pommel off?

the grip, is it pinned to the hidden tang? pinned and glued? any time ive done this with a knife ive used pins and epoxy to make a good bond.

was your grip 1 piece or multiples? i feel like it has to be at least 2... i dont know how you would be able to drill a bent hole that follows that tang. :)

Drilling a bent and tapering holes is a mad job. It would take you almost a day if you dont have experience.

My experience is like this: I divide the whole hole/tunnel in to 02 parts. I drill from the bolster and from the pommel. Both tunnels meet at the bend.

I use 6mm diameter drill bit for the first drill. Then I increase diameter to 8mm, 9mm for the bolster end. For the pommel end, i just use 6mm drill bit to shake vertically to create the tapper. Then I have a rough hole to work.

I used a flat screw driver, grind the head sharp and dig the tunnel where i want it to be bigger. Then I can almost push the blade in.

For the final fitting, I imitate the village blacksmith to burn the rat tail red hot and push to the hole. All the odd/excess handle material are burnt into coal, then the handle fits. (This happens before heat treating the blade)

After that is the easy job with epoxy.

Cheers,

Hung

Thanks guys. Glad you like the handle.

Warty, the handle is hardwood. Most of the wood used to make new handles my khuks is of whatever scrap pieces I can get, so I’m not 100% sure what it is. From the color and texture, though, my guess would be Australian red ironbark.

The shape had been ever so slightly fine tuned since that picture was taken, but it looks almost the same... just feels a whole lot better.

Yes, those bendy handles are quite comfy :) The curved section comes into its own while chopping. The butt cap doesn’t rub against my palm and the last two fingers tuck securely against it. The lanyard makes things feel a bit more secure too.

SkaerE:
>did you grind the tang to get the pommel off? Yes

>the grip, is it pinned to the hidden tang? Yes

>pinned and glued? Yes, with epoxy

>was your grip 1 piece or multiples? i feel like it has to be at least 2.
It is made from 2 pieces.

If I had the patience, a single piece handle would be my preference, and would probably follow the steps Hung outlined above.

There are pictures of the steps taken to do my other khuks, but they are nowhere to be found right now. I will post some when I find them.

Cheers
Eric

and you're the one that is making me smile all the time. :)

That's what she said! ... No she didn't ... :(

Hah, all kidding aside, maybe i'll convert to your view if I can get my hands on a hidden tang chopper and log some serious chopping time. The only hidden tang knife i have is a Gelbu Special, and she's such a beaut I don't want to take her out back and beat her just yet.

I doubt it having already done serious chopping myself with a hidden tang from HI.
If you are making them fail, the it is likely you are abusing the blade rather than using it properly.
Not trying to cause trouble here but this is the simple truth, proven by the test of time. :)

While we are on the subject of handles, has anyone ever tried this Rouge Removal technique for days gone by?
ROUGE REMOVAL by DDEAN
Removing rouge from wood handles, -without- raising the grain of the wood!:

1-Rub on Murphy's Oil Soap Original formula. Use it straight with -NO water-. Set aside & let it get as dry as it will get. This protects the wood from water in the next step.

2-Get SoftScrub (plain & orange works, -not- the bleach version) [or similar calcium carbonate cleaner] & rub it all over the handle with your hand. Rinse & reapply until you stop getting pink.

3-rub Softscrub into the grooves, which will still contain rouge.

4-get a length of -unwaxed- dental floss (or other fine strong thread)
& with the blade secured somehow (I stick the blade into a big, OLD phonebook beside the sink) wrap the dental floss around your fingers (I usually double the floss to get a little thicker thread) and 'saw' it around the grooves. Rinse & reapply until all the rouge is out of the rings.

5-Rinse, & dry well.

Eric, that mod is bloody fantastic.:thumbup: Good to see another Aussie, there are a couple of us around.

I've rehandled most of my khuks to suit my own grip. Did this 18"WW2 a while back (handle too wide and straight for my liking). Now it is my favorite 18" inch blade in the little collection.

Have fun if you are going to rehandle yours :) Didn't take pictures for all the steps for it though, but hope it helps...

before-afters.jpg

Cheers
Eric

you have some mad skills man:)thats a realy nice handle:)

Gday 7rip13a, Boerboel84 and thanks :)

The steps to replacing the handle is outlined in the picture below. It was for a PK, but practically the same method.

stepsonlyforposting.jpg

Cheers
Eric

Back