REK at it again...Short Butaniku

UNRL Ghandi

Gold Member
Just got this back from Josh at Razor's Edge Knives. My Short Butaniku in his formal best hanging with his baby brother (INFI Park Ranger). I totally forgot to take a before picture, but there is one floating around the forums from a while back that I can't seem to find right now. :)

20190525_200122 (2).jpg
20190525_194212.jpg

I've had my Short Butaniku for some time now and it's been in the safe except for some random air ninja sessions in the basement. It wasn't particularly sharp and I didn't see it as much of a "user" if I ever wanted/needed to because of the black coating. I had been contemplating sending out to REK to get it all cleaned up and "scared to touch it" sharp but I always had something else going on with funds. Finally broke down and sent it back in February and the final product was 100% worth the wait. If I ever run out of bullets heaven help the fool who gets on the wrong end of this piece of REK'ed INFI.

Not much mods went into this one, just a satin finish, sharpen, and new screws on the handles. Apparently there were some gremlins under the coating that needed ground out as well. Convex zero saber grind w/ a 1k microbevel has me keeping this bad boy sheathed in fear of feeling a slight pain only to see my leg is gone. Josh also rounded the tang and ground it flush to the scales. Very nice touch.

I chopped a 2x4 with it a couple times but for some reason the pics won't upload correctly. I'll add later. I was surprised how deep it went with the half-hearted swing I took.

20190525_200317.jpg

Beautiful blades and really great backgrounds for your pictures :thumbsup:
Since having work done by Josh on two of my Infi blades, I can attest to the hair poping, shaving sharp edge he puts out. Enjoy ! ( with cauition ) ;)

That TGLB you had done by REK is awesome and the basis for my hunt to get a TGLB to send to him. Love what he did for you on that one. One of the best TGLBs out there in my opinion.

Just got this back from Josh at Razor's Edge Knives. My Short Butaniku in his formal best hanging with his baby brother (INFI Park Ranger). I totally forgot to take a before picture, but there is one floating around the forums from a while back that I can't seem to find right now. :)

View attachment 1134748
View attachment 1134749

I've had my Short Butaniku for some time now and it's been in the safe except for some random air ninja sessions in the basement. It wasn't particularly sharp and I didn't see it as much of a "user" if I ever wanted/needed to because of the black coating. I had been contemplating sending out to REK to get it all cleaned up and "scared to touch it" sharp but I always had something else going on with funds. Finally broke down and sent it back in February and the final product was 100% worth the wait. If I ever run out of bullets heaven help the fool who gets on the wrong end of this piece of REK'ed INFI.

Not much mods went into this one, just a satin finish, sharpen, and new screws on the handles. Apparently there were some gremlins under the coating that needed ground out as well. Convex zero saber grind w/ a 1k microbevel has me keeping this bad boy sheathed in fear of feeling a slight pain only to see my leg is gone. Josh also rounded the tang and ground it flush to the scales. Very nice touch.

I chopped a 2x4 with it a couple times but for some reason the pics won't upload correctly. I'll add later. I was surprised how deep it went with the half-hearted swing I took.

View attachment 1134747
Dude, that thing is incredible! That sealed it I have to have an INFI Sword just so I can send it to REK!

That TGLB you had done by REK is awesome and the basis for my hunt to get a TGLB to send to him. Love what he did for you on that one. One of the best TGLBs out there in my opinion.
That's awesome to hear, thanks brother :thumbsup:
After researching his work and knowing what I would be receiving, I ponied up the expedited service fee ( I didn't think I could wait it out ) and I hade them back in my hands in a week.. It is a great option to have :thumbsup:

I’m sure this is epic. My impression of the short butaniku was that the dimensions were great but the edge was horrible.

I was kind of embarrassed to sell it because I don’t think anyone should pay that money for a blade that doesn’t cut.

I’m sure this is epic. My impression of the short butaniku was that the dimensions were great but the edge was horrible.

I was kind of embarrassed to sell it because I don’t think anyone should pay that money for a blade that doesn’t cut.

Yeah I thought the factory edge on this one was a bit lacking. Don't feel embarrassed about selling yours though, whoever bought it has a fantastic blade and once the edge is honed I'm sure they'll be very pleased. Agree 100% with what you said, the dimensions are great. It feels big but small and the extra length over the AK feels like a mile of space.

Amazing man. It’s grail material now!

Yeah this is exactly what I had hoped to get out of it when I sent it to REK. The work Josh did completely changed this sword for me. It has formally been welcomed into my Grave Knives family. :) I just have to get a better sheath for it. Researching different styles and hope to have something solidified soon so I can get that project started.

Beautiful shorty!! That’s not a regular short Butaniku, that’s a Butaniku shortened:) the fuller on yours goes to the tip and on the short production Butaniku the fuller stops 3 or 4 inches before the tip.
Yours is also an inch longer or so than a production short Butaniku.
I like yours alot!! Very nice

This is a grail of mine even without the awesome regrind. The search goes on...:(

How does she handle now? lighter? Better balanced? Should I throw away my soul and get one for 2.5k+ on the bay?? This is torture.

Beautiful shorty!! That’s not a regular short Butaniku, that’s a Butaniku shortened:) the fuller on yours goes to the tip and on the short production Butaniku the fuller stops 3 or 4 inches before the tip.
Yours is also an inch longer or so than a production short Butaniku.
I like yours alot!! Very nice

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize the specs difference. This is the only one I've handled so I assumed it was standard. :) I measured it this morning and the fuller stops 1.5" from the tip. Blade is 23" to the choil and 36" overall.

This is a grail of mine even without the awesome regrind. The search goes on...:(

How does she handle now? lighter? Better balanced? Should I throw away my soul and get one for 2.5k+ on the bay?? This is torture.

If you like the AK47, then you'll LOVE the Short Butaniku. The AK always seemed a bit short to me so the extra 5" of blade and the slight curve really does it for me. I mean if you're going to own a sword, own a sword am I right? :D I can't tell if the mods did anything for the balance of the blade, I know it is a touch lighter but it has always felt great to me with the weight being really manageable since it's a skinny blade (check the comparison of width with the Park Ranger).

$2500 is on the high end, but these are hard to come by. I got mine from Knife Hunter about 5 years ago when he did a 10% off sale so I got a good deal on it. With the mods and kydex sheath I'm at about $2450 into this one so you have a point of reference on the price.

I'd rank this as the best Busse sword I've handled. I have a Gladius, V14, AK47, and this one. I've never held the longer Butaniku but I know for a fact it'll be too big for me...it's half my height! I probably wouldn't be able to unsheath it. :eek: :confused:

Back