REK Q fixed blade thread

REK Knives

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
** UPDATE as of 6/8/20 ** Initial batch is done! You can see more pics towards the end of this thread. Sign up for my newsletter to be notified when more become available!

** UPDATE as of 8/16/21 ** Next batch of Magnacut Q's are in progress! Unfortunately they are all pre-sold.

i-cLmv4tm-M.jpg

I started this thread because I was just seeing how much interested there is out there :)

Trying to gauge interest on the next project... Let me know your level of interest in this thread please. I'm not keeping a list - but you would be notified through the newsletter when it drops and would be the first to be notified if you are on that list.

Price will be $325 w/ $12 shipping.

What we have is a 10" OAL fixed blade w/ a 4.8" blade. I have put a ton of thought into the design and taken a lot of input from many of you guys - thank you!! It has already been prototyped through 3D printing and I'm ready to make it depending on interest - would be sweet to have these ready by hunting season :). It will feature/come with:

- CPM Cruwear blade that is hand-ground to 120-220 grit, stock thickness around 3/16"
- Skeletonized tang but with 1/4" thick border around the rim and no cut out in front of the forwardmost hole for added strength when batonning and such.
- Removable micarta scales (haven't determined color yet, depends on the majority of you guys) w/ torx fasteners
- Flats will keep the rolled mill finish for durability and to keep costs down
- Will come with a kydex sheath (no belt fastener, that would be up to you but the sheaths will be compatible with the Tek-Lok system).
- Laser etched REK logo, serial number, and steel type (the latter 2 may be hidden under the scales).

Keep in mind these are only renders so the final product may vary a slight amount.

** Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter to be the first in the know on news and products - see the sticky above this thread! **

i-rJKk5MK-X3.jpg
i-KRCdJxC-X3.jpg
i-zh4B2M2-X3.jpg
i-J9ctR25-X3.png
i-xmDKkzv-X3.jpg
i-cG2xDz9-X2.jpg

Last edited:
hey Josh, you can count me in for one ... I have been wanting to try Cruwear anyway ... I like the design ... I think it will be good for field dressing deer sized game ... and I would like to support you getting started in this phase of your business ...

you have done some work for me in a time crunch before my father passed that I can't express what that meant to him and I ... and I know it will be a quaility blade by knowing your work ethic.

and just out of curiosity ... what will the blade thickness be on the production knives? And what type of grind do you plan for these?

Thanks - put me on your list for one ... JJ

and just my 2 cents worth ... put that REK proudly on the blade where it can be seen!

Last edited:
hey Josh, you can count me in for one ... I have been wanting to try Cruwear anyway ... I like the design ... I think it will be good for field dressing deer sized game ... and I would like to support you getting started in this phase of your business ...

you have done some work for me in a time crunch before my father passed that I can't express what that meant to him and I ... and I know it will be a quaility blade by knowing your work ethic.

and just out of curiosity ... what will the blade thickness be on the production knives? And what type of grind do you plan for these?

Thanks - put me on your list for one ... JJ

and just my 2 cents worth ... put that REK proudly on the blade where it can be seen!

Thanks so much man I def. appreciate the support! :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% on the thickness yet, thanks for pointing that out! I can either go with around .180 or .220" thick

Thanks so much man I def. appreciate the support! :thumbsup:

I'm not 100% on the thickness yet, thanks for pointing that out! I can either go with around .180 or .220" thick

I'm happy to see you getting your own design out so I'm in definitely...

and as far as blade thickness ... for my use for this knife I would like the thinner slicer thickness ... just my thoughts for what I see me using this knife for.

And the type of grind is my only other question ... by your CAD and 3D printed models I'm seeing maybe a high saber grind? ... or a high hollow grind?

Thanks - JJ

Hey Josh, I think I’m in, but I have a quick question about the specs. Up top, you mention a 10” OAL with a 4” blade. That’d make for a 6” handle, using my basic math for dummies. That’d be too long a handle for me on a knife of this size, and those specs don’t seem to be reflected in your renderings, so I’m wondering are my eyes that f*cked up, or is the handle actually closer to 5”? Some clarified dimensions would be much appreciated. Lookin good brother

I'm happy to see you getting your own design out so I'm in definitely...

and as far as blade thickness ... for my use for this knife I would like the thinner slicer thickness ... just my thoughts for what I see me using this knife for.

And the type of grind is my only other question ... by your CAD and 3D printed models I'm seeing maybe a high saber grind? ... or a high hollow grind?

Thanks - JJ

Thanks brother! Yeah was just gonna do a saber/flat grind to around the same height as I have it in the renderings... which is about 1.19" grind height. If you wanted it 'slicier' then I could always grind it thinner for ya, but I was gonna go with about .020" at 15 dps.

Same for you Josey, I can grind it thinner ;)

Hey Josh, I think I’m in, but I have a quick question about the specs. Up top, you mention a 10” OAL with a 4” blade. That’d make for a 6” handle, using my basic math for dummies. That’d be too long a handle for me on a knife of this size, and those specs don’t seem to be reflected in your renderings, so I’m wondering are my eyes that f*cked up, or is the handle actually closer to 5”? Some clarified dimensions would be much appreciated. Lookin good brother

You know what... I REALLY appreciate you pointing that out. I think I had that 4" length stuck in my head from the Kuros :confused: lol

I just re-checked and it turns out that the blade length (from tip of handle to tip of the blade) is ~4.8" (w/ a cutting edge length of ~4.6"). Handle length from tip to butt is 5.25" or so. 10.03" OAL. :):thumbsup:

You know what... I REALLY appreciate you pointing that out. I think I had that 4" length stuck in my head from the Kuros :confused: lol

I just re-checked and it turns out that the blade length (from tip of handle to tip of the blade) is ~4.8" (w/ a cutting edge length of ~4.6"). Handle length from tip to butt is 5.25" or so. 10.03" OAL. :):thumbsup:
Now that’s more like it! :) I’m most definitely in on that. Thanks for double checking. Have a great weekend!

Thanks brother! Yeah was just gonna do a saber/flat grind to around the same height as I have it in the renderings... which is about 1.19" grind height. If you wanted it 'slicier' then I could always grind it thinner for ya, but I was gonna go with about .020" at 15 dps.

Same for you Josey, I can grind it thinner ;)

that sounds good ... and was what it looks like in your images ... I just wanted to ask for sure ... I think the sabre/flat grind would fit my uses for it really well ... Thanks.

Hey Josh, just to throw in my 3.5 cents since I have fumbled around with a couple fixed blades here and there and applied them to various stressers, I overall like the way you seem to be incorporating some welcomed aspects of some of the better fixies I have used. Here are a couple:
1) steel thickness - key for holding up
2) spine thumb rest just ahead of handle - seen this in longer fixies and it is greatly appreciated ergonomically
3) saber grind - this of course can be done at varying aggressiveness, but I like that the grind will be over half the steel height (edge to spine) giving a bit steeper angle for increased sharpness. Many fixies are bent on a shallower grind resulting in the sharpening angle for the final bevel being too restricted IMO. I know this is a key balance depending on user need, but I like your design.
4) handle contouring - it is more of a wave than a bunch of ripples....and appreciate the swell right where the palm will sit, filling out that hollow spot that can arise; also, the mid-handle dips and grooves give the fingers something to sink into

Oh, with all the above, may I make one request? A possible drop-in leather sheath (one of those where the knife shoves in and doesn't snap closed) as an additional purchase option. If this isn't possible, please offer the kydex with a lower hanging loop so that those of us wanting to carry with the end of the handle even with our belts can do so.

Really excited about this for ya!

Hey Josh, you have my attention with Cruwear and micarta! Excellent choices. :thumbsup: I’ll be watching your offerings for sure. Love the creativity.

My $.02 stuff...for me personally, I’m not so big on tall blade profiles and finger grooves on handles. Even though that one looks like a winner, you can still run into hand size issues with some ham fisted, knuckle draggers. ;) The scalloped sides do look interesting.

In on one!
And definitely in for one.

As for your quoted options, I would like to see the thinner blade stock with the high grind.
And kydex for the sheath works for me.

Oh, with all the above, may I make one request? A possible drop-in leather sheath (one of those where the knife shoves in and doesn't snap closed) as an additional purchase option. If this isn't possible, please offer the kydex with a lower hanging loop so that those of us wanting to carry with the end of the handle even with our belts can do so.

Thanks Pat! I appreciate the insights :) I am not making leather sheaths as a part of this run but I know someone who could make you one. For carry options on the kydex that can be arranged :thumbsup:;)

Hey Josh, you have my attention with Cruwear and micarta! Excellent choices. :thumbsup: I’ll be watching your offerings for sure. Love the creativity.

My $.02 stuff...for me personally, I’m not so big on tall blade profiles and finger grooves on handles. Even though that one looks like a winner, you can still run into hand size issues with some ham fisted, knuckle draggers. ;) The scalloped sides do look interesting.

Thanks! Who knows, maybe I'll do a pass around w/ one of them for those that are on the fence :D

a pretty nice and reasonable option for those who prefer the knife to ride lower might be one of Sagewood Gears belt loop or dangler attachments if the kydex isn't a taco style ... and has mounting holes on both sides ...

I have it on several kydex sheaths and it isn't real expensive ...

just an option for those that were thinking of something to ride lower.

a pretty nice and reasonable option for those who prefer the knife to ride lower might be one of Sagewood Gears belt loop or dangler attachments if the kydex isn't a taco style ... and has mounting holes on both sides ...

I have it on several kydex sheaths and it isn't real expensive ...

just an option for those that were thinking of something to ride lower.

Good points! Yeah I've gotten the sheath extensions from @chiral.grolim before and they are perfect,so I may offer those!

You can check them out here :
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...2-0-leg-straps-and-ferro-rod-holders.1413190/

Back