REK Q fixed blade thread

Are these sold out?

yeah this batch is, I was gonna launch another batch right away but I'm gonna hold off for a month or so probably to see how everyone likes them and if the demand is there this soon :) but yeah, sign up for my newsletter at link in the sticky'd thread to stay in the loop!

I’ll start. Chunk o blade, and it is sharp. :) Nice balance point. Comfortable in all grips. I already had a clue on the ergos after handling the plastic proto so no surprise there. The scalloped sides aren’t something I would have thought up on my own, but they feel good.

Nothing to do with Josh, but the sheath retention is too strong. Assuming these came from Mashed Cat, my last CPK was the same way. He used to have the retention dialed in perfect, so makes me wonder what changed in that process. Minor stuff that can be adjusted.

Btw, this is a standard grind with a performance edge for comparison to others.

fLU256H.jpg

7iD4adR.jpg

I’ll start. Chunk o blade, and it is sharp. :) Nice balance point. Comfortable in all grips. I already had a clue on the ergos after handling the plastic proto so no surprise there. The scalloped sides aren’t something I would have thought up on my own, but they feel good.

Nothing to do with Josh, but the sheath retention is too strong. Assuming these came from Mashed Cat, my last CPK was the same way. He used to have the retention dialed in perfect, so makes me wonder what changed in that process. Minor stuff that can be adjusted.

Btw, this is a standard grind with a performance edge for comparison to others.

fLU256H.jpg

7iD4adR.jpg

Oh man thanks for the pics and feedback man!! Glad it made it safely :) Yeah the stock thickness is pretty thick for sure.

LOL woodysone woodysone . Hey Martin, I haven’t tried adjusting these last couple sheaths yet. I think you can wrap a few layers of tape around the handle and apply some heat. On this one, the angle of the thumb ramp may play into the perceived retention, but both this one and my last CPK FK2 feel about twice as hard to remove the blade compared to what I’m used to...YMMV of course.

Any tips there Josh?

LOL woodysone woodysone . Hey Martin, I haven’t tried adjusting these last couple sheaths yet. I think you can wrap a few layers of tape around the handle and apply some heat. On this one, the angle of the thumb ramp may play into the perceived retention, but both this one and my last CPK FK2 feel about twice as hard to remove the blade compared to what I’m used to...YMMV of course.

Any tips there Josh?

I've taken a 1/4" drill bit and drilled out one of the top eylets near the throat before on a pancake I had that had too stubborn retention. BTW, I put a little strip of friction tape on the bit shank and twisted it by hand just enough to wear away the rolled over eyelet ring and not damage the sheath.

It takes a minute or two to do it that way but it's not hard, they're usually brass or similar malleable metals.

It's easily reversible too if you have extra eyelets and flaring die set. Or you can just put a chicago screw in there if you want to reverse the process.

https://usaknifemaker.com/eyelet-custom-die-set-3-16-6-our-own-custom-set.html

OTOH, I've really jacked up a BB kydex pancake with my heat gun. :oops:

Last edited:
Well color me impressed,:D just opened up my package from REK and pulled out a big chunk of curwear that as mb> mb> said this has very nice balance! And the grip fits me prefect, my fingers wrap around the grip and the tips of my fingers fall into the grooves and sharp, well we all know what Josh is famous for.:eek: All in all, an excellent first blade that I'm going to enjoy, Thank You Josh!

Any tips there Josh?

I probably wouldn't use heat - you can introduce play into the sheath's retention and mess it up. Ron nailed it below... removing the top eyelet on the spine side should loosen things up a little. Normally I use the size drill bit just above 1/4" carefully and just enough to get through the lip. I'm happy to do that for you if you would like :) It's exactly how I like my sheath retention ;) but I realize everyone has different preferences. Maybe I should just put a chicago screw in that section next time to allow for adjustment... hmmmm

I've taken a 1/4" drill bit and drilled out one of the top eylets near the throat before on a pancake I had that had too stubborn retention. BTW, I put a little strip of friction tape on the bit shank and twisted it by hand just enough to wear away the rolled over eyelet ring and not damage the sheath.

It takes a minute or two to do it that way but it's not hard, they're usually brass or similar malleable metals.

It's easily reversible too if you have extra eyelets and flaring die set. Or you can just put a chicago screw in there if you want to reverse the process.

https://usaknifemaker.com/eyelet-custom-die-set-3-16-6-our-own-custom-set.html

I've really jacked up a BB kydex pancake with my heat gun. :oops:

Good call on this.... and great job explaining!

Well color me impressed,:D just opened up my package from REK and pulled out a big chunk of curwear that as mb> mb> said this has very nice balance! And the grip fits me prefect, my fingers wrap around the grip and the tips of my fingers fall into the grooves and sharp, well we all know what Josh is famous for.:eek: All in all, an excellent first blade that I'm going to enjoy, Thank You Josh!

Yessss!!! so glad to hear it man!

487CD04F-4DB7-430F-A1FC-556F01CEFA25.jpeg

Beautiful Knife !

Lightning fast shipping to the west coast !

The attention to detail, fit & finish and paperwork/warranty are second to none.

This knife is going to get some use!

Thank you Josh! You have some serious skills man. Much appreciated.

Looking forward to the patina this one will develop!

Sheath on this one seems just about perfect by the way.

View attachment 1353283

Beautiful Knife !

Lightning fast shipping to the west coast !

The attention to detail, fit & finish and paperwork/warranty are second to none.

This knife is going to get some use!

Thank you Josh! You have some serious skills man. Much appreciated.

Looking forward to the patina this one will develop!

Sheath on this one seems just about perfect by the way.
Thanks Kyle! Can't wait to hear some feedback after you get to put it through the paces :D

This is without a doubt the best feeling fixed blade in hand that I have, or have access to.

That's saying A LOT ... :cool:

I know most of the blades you've had in hand-- because I've bought several of em from ya! ;)

...well that seals it...I've GOT to have one now

anyone wanting to move theirs along, shoot me a PM :)...............I won't be holding my breath, though. :rolleyes:

Back