REK Q fixed blade thread

** UPDATE as of 6/8/20 ** Initial batch is done! You can see more pics towards the end of this thread. Sign up for my newsletter to be notified when more become available!

i-cLmv4tm-M.jpg

I started this thread because I was just seeing how much interested there is out there :)

Trying to gauge interest on the next project... Let me know your level of interest in this thread please. I'm not keeping a list - but you would be notified through the newsletter when it drops and would be the first to be notified if you are on that list.

Price will be $325 w/ $12 shipping.

What we have is a 10" OAL fixed blade w/ a 4.8" blade. I have put a ton of thought into the design and taken a lot of input from many of you guys - thank you!! It has already been prototyped through 3D printing and I'm ready to make it depending on interest - would be sweet to have these ready by hunting season :). It will feature/come with:

- CPM Cruwear blade that is hand-ground to 120-220 grit, stock thickness around 3/16"
- Skeletonized tang but with 1/4" thick border around the rim and no cut out in front of the forwardmost hole for added strength when batonning and such.
- Removable micarta scales (haven't determined color yet, depends on the majority of you guys) w/ torx fasteners
- Flats will keep the rolled mill finish for durability and to keep costs down
- Will come with a kydex sheath (no belt fastener, that would be up to you but the sheaths will be compatible with the Tek-Lok system).
- Laser etched REK logo, serial number, and steel type (the latter 2 may be hidden under the scales).

Keep in mind these are only renders so the final product may vary a slight amount.

** Don't forget to sign up for my newsletter to be the first in the know on news and products - see the sticky above this thread! **

i-rJKk5MK-X3.jpg
i-KRCdJxC-X3.jpg
i-zh4B2M2-X3.jpg
i-J9ctR25-X3.png
i-xmDKkzv-X3.jpg
i-cG2xDz9-X2.jpg
I'll take the orange one

Doubt it... Can't get it thick enough from the factory :(

K, so how thick we talking? Maybe a different design larger fixed &/or folder? Also, what will the steel options be on the next batch of Quarantines? I'm looking into a larger fixed, in stainless & the DEK1 in AEB-L has come up, but if you've got plans for a larger fixed in stainless, it'll be worth the wait.

K, so how thick we talking? Maybe a different design larger fixed &/or folder? Also, what will the steel options be on the next batch of Quarantines? I'm looking into a larger fixed, in stainless & the DEK1 in AEB-L has come up, but if you've got plans for a larger fixed in stainless, it'll be worth the wait.
The first batch was about .210" thick so somewhere around there. I would like to do some in stainless, yes... But haven't thought that far ahead yet. I'm gonna get these Embers done first probably before I start on another batch of Quarantines.

I’m nowhere near as knowledgeable as Josh, and my $0.02 isn’t even worth that much, but I have used both the Quarantine and the DEK (D3V). It’d be an apples to oranges situation to try and compare the two, as the designs are that distinct and each has a different range of applications for which they’re suited. The Quarantine, for me, serves superbly as a field knife, and is capable of playing the role of a camp knife. It’s heavy duty. To me, the DEK is more of a defensive/EDC carry. While it carries nicely and feels really good and agile in hand (in almost any grip imaginable), the handle design doesn’t allow for a choked back hammer grip like you’d use to chop or baton, so it wouldn’t make a suitable field knife. It’d probably make for a good skinner though, and would certainly serve well in a defensive capacity and as an EDC utility cutter. It’s also thinner than a FK/FK2. If you’re looking for one to bring into the field and the woods, the Quarantine is the one out of those two, no doubt. I know there are a couple other guys here that also have both, and hope one of them can chime in with some better info/experience than I have, but in the meantime, I hope my take was of a little help.
Or.. get both! ;)

Fullflat Fullflat ...thanks for the info! I've had the Esee6 (1095) & an Esee4 (SS). They both were good but the handle on the 4 was a bit too short & the 6's 1095 doesn't suit the swamp all too well. The dream: Josh + Vanex = something in a 5"-6" fixed blade...mmmm.
The swamp sure can punish some carbon steel, can’t it!? The climate here in coastal S FL has me on corrosion watch all the time too. I hope your dream comes to fruition brother! I’d probably end up ‘needing’ one of those too ;) Have you had the chance to try Nitro V yet? It’s pretty much corrosion proof, pretty tough, and has done well with edge stability for an alloy of its type, in my limited experience. Maybe Josh can kick the idea of Nitro V around as a substitute for the Vanax if it’s still not available when he’s starting to consider running more Quarantines

The swamp sure can punish some carbon steel, can’t it!? The climate here in coastal S FL has me on corrosion watch all the time too. I hope your dream comes to fruition brother! I’d probably end up ‘needing’ one of those too ;) Have you had the chance to try Nitro V yet? It’s pretty much corrosion proof, pretty tough, and has done well with edge stability for an alloy of its type, in my limited experience. Maybe Josh can kick the idea of Nitro V around as a substitute for the Vanax if it’s still not available when he’s starting to consider running more Quarantines

I haven't found something I like in Nitro-V...yet. AEB-L heat treated properly is another option. A SS Quarantine riding on the side of an Ember would be superb. A boy can dream. :):thumbsup:

Love it! Have you been able to compare the two grinds yet?
No real comparison yet. Just fooled around with the performance grind enough to know it’s CRAZY SHARP, but haven’t used it for anything substantial. The past couple weeks, I’ve had to baton & chop some pretty hard oak, citrus wood, and some really knotty pine, and the standard grind handles everything I throw at it so well that I just keep grabbing it whenever I’m headed out. Hopefully, that’ll change this weekend, as it looks like I’ll be in some relatively new live growth vegetation and palm trees. Might get the chance to do a little skinning too. I’ll be bringing both along with me :)

Get some good pics :)

What are you using for the kill?
We’ll be clearing out a couple little spots tonight to start dropping bait (probably corn & molasses). If they’ll come in for it, they’ll get harvested with a little .300 BLK I keep handy. If we have to stalk em anywhere near other folks’ property or the citrus grove, it’ll be the 12ga. Wish I was hardcore enough to run dogs on em and just dispatch em with the Quarantine! ;)

We’ll be clearing out a couple little spots tonight to start dropping bait (probably corn & molasses). If they’ll come in for it, they’ll get harvested with a little .300 BLK I keep handy. If we have to stalk em anywhere near other folks’ property or the citrus grove, it’ll be the 12ga. Wish I was hardcore enough to run dogs on em and just dispatch em with the Quarantine! ;)
Sounds like a ton of fun!!

Back