Remington Prospector 2021 Baby Bullet Discussion and Picture Thread

the specs say the liners are cartridge brass. What is that exactly?
From McMaster-Carr:

"The most formable brass we offer, 260 offers better weldability than 300 series brass but itā€™s not as machinable. Sometimes called cartridge brass, it's commonly used for ammunition casings, radiator components, and decorative door hardware."

Should have added that c260 brass is 30% zinc and 70% copper.

My Remington 7352 came in yesterday. It's a nice knife. Well put together and very solid just like all the #73 knives built by GEC. I have no complaints but I do not like the information flyer in the sleeve. Just the flyer would have been sufficient. I accordion folded the flyer and put it in the box and set the sleeve aside in my knife storage box.

1630164955666.png

Kinda surprised that more of us aren't posting about these knives this weekend. Would have thought they were selling like hotcakes.

It's really no more than most of the gouging dealers have been charging for almost every release the last year
What I said holds true for all those other knives too.
I always ask myself, "How many Case knives would that buy me?"
If it gets much over two, I lose interest in it and start looking elsewhere.
Yes, the GEC knives are superior. But there is a limit to their value, at least for me.
That doesn't change my love of the brand, I still think they are the best game in town.

Last edited:
Iā€™ve really been enjoying this knife. The 73 is one of my favorite patterns, and it looks great with the Remington treatment.

View attachment 1629862

I never thought I would say this about a GEC, particularly a #73, or one as well made as this one, but I prefer the 1173. It has a bit more character in the blade shape, the jigging, and the more pronounced curve in the handle.

I am still trying to reconcile this with the fact the #73 is my favourite GEC pattern.

I never thought I would say this about a GEC, particularly a #73, or one as well made as this one, but I prefer the 1173. It has a bit more character in the blade shape, the jigging, and the more pronounced curve in the handle.

I am still trying to reconcile this with the fact the #73 is my favourite GEC pattern.
Itā€™s definitely a close call between the two. The Camillus 1173/1178s are really well made and definitely have a charm about them. Iā€™m not sure I can choose between the two. I really need to pick up one of the Delrin 1173/1178s as a user.

On another note, I think the cartridge on the GEC Remington may be a 30 cal. 1903 Springfield cartridge. Looks very close to my eye.
15DE38D7-D62F-42BA-9171-6DC8AA16CE30.jpeg

I didn't really want to comment on the price but I made mention of this before and I'll say it again - this isn't a GEC knife. GEC-made knives that are not branded as such have traditionally commanded a higher retail price (i.e. Northwoods, Maher & Grosh, Smith & Sons, etc.). The price IS on the high side but not out of line for a medium-large sized, 2-blade trapper that isn't branded as a GEC - but made by them all the same like the above examples.

I don't understand why this is being viewed as out of sorts.

Last edited:
The Buck Remington was about the same price, but it was Buck 420 HC ( not much different from 1095, but stainless,) embelished with ā€œfileworkā€ and a Scott Sawby design unique to Buck that is not in Buckā€™s standard line. Certainly not standard. Two blade trappers are common, made by many, the Buck was not. For Remington collectors (guns not knives) steel that readily rusts is a turnoff.

I think itā€™s easy to get spoiled paying such low prices for GEC knives. $170 for an old school, handmade knife of this quality is a bargain. Their normal prices around $100 is a downright steal. And, 1095 takes a much finer edge much than stainless steel. What a treasure GEC is!

What I said holds true for all those other knives too.
I always ask myself, "How many Case knives would that buy me?"
If it gets much over two, I lose interest in it and start looking elsewhere.
Yes, the GEC knives are superior. But there is a limit to their value, at least for me.
That doesn't change my love of the brand, I still think they are the best game in town.
None of us ever buy a knife and wear it out. So you end up with 20 Case and I end up with 6-8 GECs, in a collection that someone will probably inherit some day. Some like the former. I prefer the latter. Just my $0.02.

Back