Removable Handle Scales

I’m looking for a way to attach removable scales and am kind of at a loss. I’m think something similar to how ESEE attaches their handles scales. I’m pretty sure that consists of a threaded coupler or barrel nut to sit in the tang holes, and a couple torx screws for either side of the handle to hold the scales on. Pretty straight forward. I suppose I could just thread the tang holes to the Torx screws thread size, but that seems like a lot of work and I’d only have a small piece of threading for the screws to engage.

So, what are you guys using and how do you use it? I’d like to find something that works well and isn’t too expensive. Preferably for 1/4” tang holes.

It seems to me like the availability of handle hardware is severely limited. I can find all types of small and tiny screws, bushings, and whatnot for folders. But in terms of screws/bolts to attach scales to fixed blades, I’m at a loss. My tang holes are usually 1/4” so it would be ideal to find hardware that would work with that. I kind of feel like anything smaller than that wouldn’t be adequate for larger, hard use fixed blades.

I’m looking for a way to attach removable scales and am kind of at a loss. I’m think something similar to how ESEE attaches their handles scales. I’m pretty sure that consists of a threaded coupler or barrel nut to sit in the tang holes, and a couple torx screws for either side of the handle to hold the scales on. Pretty straight forward. I suppose I could just thread the tang holes to the Torx screws thread size, but that seems like a lot of work and I’d only have a small piece of threading for the screws to engage.

So, what are you guys using and how do you use it? I’d like to find something that works well and isn’t too expensive. Preferably for 1/4” tang holes.

It seems to me like the availability of handle hardware is severely limited. I can find all types of small and tiny screws, bushings, and whatnot for folders. But in terms of screws/bolts to attach scales to fixed blades, I’m at a loss. My tang holes are usually 1/4” so it would be ideal to find hardware that would work with that. I kind of feel like anything smaller than that wouldn’t be adequate for larger, hard use fixed blades.
I just finished with drilling hole in scale for knife I work .I will use this
stainless screw M4 thread , brass threaded coupler I make my self .I will use this one on thin / 3mm/ tang .On 5mm tang thickness I make thread direct on tang and use M5 screw ...This one is done like that .
REULKvJ.jpg

On this one thread is on tang , 2.5mm thread for M5 screw is more then enough to hold .
6EKwDO6.jpg

crKj9Li.jpg

I use threaded standoff inserts in the tang. They are cheap and you can buy a bag of 100 on ebay. 6-32 and 4-40 work well.

I have a few left of my own stash, PM me if you want some. Otherwise, before I had those made I used standard cap screws (button head, flat head) and stand offs. 10-32 stand offs are typically .250" OD and can be had in brass, zinc steel, etc.

Thanks a bunch everyone, I really appreciate the intel. I think I might try some of those ones from McMaster Carr and may pester Kuraki in a bit even.

You can drill and thread holes in the tang. Simply offset the holes for each handle, so you have the full thickness of the tang for threading.

Back