Remove Nicks from Spine

Hello all,
Received just a little guidance on a procedure/method on removing nicks from the spine of a knife such as ferro rod use. Didn't see much online on this subject. Do any of you have a strategy/method you apply for such a type of fix to clean up the spine?
Thx,
Jim

Wrap some wet/dry sandpaper (silicon carbide) around something flat & hard, like a pocket sharpening stone. Use that to sand the nicks out, making lengthwise passes along the spine of the blade. If the nicks are pretty heavy or deep, starting with a coarser grit like ~ 220 or so should go faster. Then, if you want to, use the same method with finer grits to fine-tune the finish on the spine. For most relatively minor nicks, this is a very easy method and it leaves an attractive & uniform finish. The flat stone used as a backer for the sandpaper will help keep the edges of the spine very crisp as well (keep the paper tight around the stone).

I used this method to clean up the knicked spine on one of my knives (Buck in 420HC), and it worked well.

Last edited:
Wrap some wet/dry sandpaper (silicon carbide) around something flat & hard, like a pocket sharpening stone. Use that to sand the nicks out, making lengthwise passes along the spine of the blade. If the nicks are pretty heavy or deep, starting with a coarser grit like ~ 220 or so should go faster. Then, if you want to, use the same method with finer grits to fine-tune the finish on the spine. For most relatively minor nicks, this is a very easy method and it leaves an attractive & uniform finish. The flat stone used as a backer for the sandpaper will help keep the edges of the spine very crisp as well (keep the paper tight around the stone).

I used this method to clean up the knicked spine on one of my knives (Buck in 420HC), and it worked well.

Thanks for that feedback, is there a need to hit the very side of the flats at all or does just the sanding of the spine do the trick (such as just a leather strop)? Is there a preferred direction (ie. from the point back to the handle or the opposite direction)?

Thanks for that feedback, is there a need to hit the very side of the flats at all or does just the sanding of the spine do the trick (such as just a leather strop)? Is there a preferred direction (ie. from the point back to the handle or the opposite direction)?

If the nicks are very deep and at the edges of the spine, some sanding along the sides of the flats might speed up the repair. I'd suggest staying with the spine only, until you know for certain you'll need to do some sanding at the sides. You'll probably get a feel pretty quick, for how much sanding it'll need at the spine and/or the sides.

As for direction, it's up to you. Starting just forward of the handle and sanding toward the tip would be how I'd do it, if only to minimize scratching the bolster or pivot area of the knife, if it's a folder. If it's a fixed blade with a guard, that probably wouldn't matter as much. I also tend to believe it's a bit safer for your hands if your sanding passes finish in a direction going off the tip and away.

If the nicks are very deep and at the edges of the spine, some sanding along the sides of the flats might speed up the repair. I'd suggest staying with the spine only, until you know for certain you'll need to do some sanding at the sides. You'll probably get a feel pretty quick, for how much sanding it'll need at the spine and/or the sides.

As for direction, it's up to you. Starting just forward of the handle and sanding toward the tip would be how I'd do it, if only to minimize scratching the bolster or pivot area of the knife, if it's a folder. If it's a fixed blade with a guard, that probably wouldn't matter as much. I also tend to believe it's a bit safer for your hands if your sanding passes finish in a direction going off the tip and away.
Worked like a charm, went ahead and did it to several that needed a touch up. Thx!

Back