How To Remove Polished Over Rush

I recently bought a vintage Cardinal Cutlery Corp knife from an antique store for five bucks. The condition of the knife was horrible, and I wanted to clean the thing up, but when I was working against the rust on the blade with some steel wool, I discovered the rust had been polished over, and was inaccessible. Is there anyway I could remove the rust?

It may have a coat of lacquer or other clear coat like shellac over the rust.
I would get some lacquer thinner, soak the blade ONLY for a little while then wipe off the blade. Do this outside and wear chemical rated rubber gloves. Lacquer thinner can cause fire balls in an inclosed environment . . . even a light switch can touch off the fumes. Do not be cavalier with this solvent.

When ever I get a knife like this from Japan the blade will be coated with lacquer and that is how I take off the coating (I want the blade to patina and I like the look of the raw metal without the shiny plastic coating.

What is scarier than a Little Monster ?
Three Little Monsters !
IMG_5063.jpg
IMG_5061.jpg

PS: oh and once you get the clear coat off then go at the rust with some kind of citrus solvent or even lemon juice and ALUMINUM FOIL. The aluminum will do this ion / electrolysis thing and act as a scavenger for the rust. Cool stuff . . . look on YouTube for people doing this on rusty chrome plated steel etc.

It may have a coat of lacquer or other clear coat like shellac over the rust.
I would get some lacquer thinner, soak the blade ONLY for a little while then wipe off the blade. Do this outside and wear chemical rated rubber gloves. Lacquer thinner can cause fire balls in an inclosed environment . . . even a light switch can touch off the fumes. Do not be cavalier with this solvent.

When ever I get a knife like this from Japan the blade will be coated with lacquer and that is how I take off the coating (I want the blade to patina and I like the look of the raw metal without the shiny plastic coating.

What is scarier than a Little Monster ?
Three Little Monsters !
View attachment 871456
View attachment 871457

Can you PM me a link to where to buy these little monsters??

Thank you!

Back