How To Remove Stubborn Thumb Stud?

Try a hot water soak on the stud. The boiling water is not going to harm the G10.

Try a hot water soak on the stud. The boiling water is not going to harm the G10.
Thank you! I am not proficient at taking knives apart. Will boiling water ruin heat treat? I may not be the most knowledgeable guy here so go easy on my please. Not sure I want to attempt to take it apart. Thank you for your reply!

No the boiling water will not ruin the heat treat. Temp of boiling water does not come close to tempering temp. Just use the hot water for a about 1 min. and be sure to use the correct tool to remove the stud, torx driver if torx and be sure it is the correct size driver.

It is not necessary to plunge the whole knife in the water. Just up to the studd.

No the boiling water will not ruin the heat treat. Temp of boiling water does not come close to tempering temp. Just use the hot water for a about 1 min. and be sure to use the correct tool to remove the stud, torx driver if torx and be sure it is the correct size driver.
I thank you for your time and knowledge! I'll try it later tonight and give it a try. It's just a small flathead.

Use a flat head screw driver that fits the slot in the screw. You may need to hold the thumb stud with a pair of pliers. if you do use pliers be sure to wrap the stud with something so you do not scratch up the studd. You may want to use that stud later on down the road.

I thank you for your time and knowledge! I'll try it later tonight and give it a try. It's just a small flathead.
If you have a soldering iron, take the tip of the iron to the thumb stud until it gets hot enough then take some pliers and remove.

Use a flat head screw driver that fits the slot in the screw. You may need to hold the thumb stud with a pair of pliers. if you do use pliers be sure to wrap the stud with something so you do not scratch up the studd. You may want to use that stud later on down the road.
Thank you but that's the first thing I tried to no avail.

Hi guys, I bought a Cold Steel recon1 XL used in a lot. I want to remove the thumb stud to install a SnaggletoothMF (https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/wave-my-coldsteel.1543858/). I can't get the darn thing off :mad:! I'm pretty sure it's been loctited. I would normally use heat to loosen it up. But I don't want to damage the G10. What's a brother to do?

P.s. SnaggletoothMF kicks butt!

Try leaving it in the freezer over night. I find this makes the loctite brittle and easier to break.

Pull it out of the freezer and try to unscrew it while it is still cold.

For the lesser Loctite, a solvent or adhesive remover will work.

The higher strength Loctite can be loosened using high heat. A soldering iron will work, so will a blow dryer or heat gun. It can also be baked in an oven like a potato.

Back