Removing G-10 scale from Southard?

I just received a Southard today. I like it, but I would like it a lot more if the handle was thinner.

Has anyone removed the outside g-10 scale and just left the titanium liner? Will the screws protrude without the G-10 scale? If so, is it possible to acquire shorter screws?

Thoughts? A thinner handle profile is the difference between a keeper or catch/release.

This knife has been modded extensively throughout its production run, I'm sure you can find this info and guides for doing it if you search around. I'd suggest getting a nicer scale made for it.

I just received a Southard today. I like it, but I would like it a lot more if the handle was thinner.

Has anyone removed the outside g-10 scale and just left the titanium liner? Will the screws protrude without the G-10 scale? If so, is it possible to acquire shorter screws?

Thoughts? A thinner handle profile is the difference between a keeper or catch/release.

Yes, the standard screws will protrude without the scale. I’ve never seen anyone run a Southard on just the liner. Some folks run thinner scales. evilgreg evilgreg has an amazing Southard collection and can probably point you in a few directions.

After years of gentlemanly carry, I put a polished 17° edge on mine and turned it into a user. It’s been amazing. I wish Spyderco did more hollow grinds.

Yes, the standard screws will protrude without the scale. I’ve never seen anyone run a Southard on just the liner. Some folks run thinner scales. evilgreg evilgreg has an amazing Southard collection and can probably point you in a few directions.

After years of gentlemanly carry, I put a polished 17° edge on mine and turned it into a user. It’s been amazing. I wish Spyderco did more hollow grinds.

Yeah, that wasn’t my best idea. I did disassemble to investigate a bit. The screws weren’t a big issue, but the liner is skeletonized so just removing the G-10 scale isn’t an acceptable alternative.

Here is an ancient photo of my thinnest Southard scale (and yes, it required shortening the screws):

K3P9cz9.jpg

Another option for anyone that is thrown by the weird asymmetry is to have someone make you a liner-delete presentation side replacement slab, like the two on the left in this photo (both of these are still about the original thickness, but presumably you could have thinner ones made and again, find shorter screws or modify the originals):

3cquMWS.jpg

Back